Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23  All

Author Topic: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0  (Read 171556 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Patch for Dominion Online 2.0 (Windows)
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2015, 06:49:16 am »
+7

- When there's a list of cards, group them, e.g. "4 COPPER, HOVEL."
- Add missing color-coding, e.g. Beggar in blue.
- When the player's name is so long that the Turn line will go to two lines (happens a lot in the campaigns), cut out some dashes. If it's still too long, hack off the name where needed so that it isn't.
- Change the background color to a very dark gray for your own turns.

The first two of these will be in the next release:

The 3rd is something I might look into some day (it happens a lot with reasonably normal names during Possession turns) but has low priority. The 4th would involve doing things I so far haven't been able to figure out how to do.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:47 am »
+1

It might be useful to update the OP with links to the most recent versions.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:29 am »

I'm giving you a +1, SCSN, only because the color you picked for Reactions isn't burning out my retinae, unlike all the colors MF picked.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2015, 12:23:25 pm »
+6

I'm giving you a +1, SCSN, only because the color you picked for Reactions isn't burning out my retinae, unlike all the colors MF picked.

I tried very hard to find something bright and in-your-face, but MF had already exhausted all possibilities, so I had to settle for something more bland.

Joking aside, I have a rather astonishing conjecture: the guy who coded this part isn't using these bright colors by choice, but because he doesn't know any better. It uses the standard words red, yellow, magenta, cyan, etc. The standard blue is impossible to read against a black background, so hey, let's smuggle a bit and just not implement the reaction coloring, no one will probably notice.

Then one day another guy takes a look at it and thinks "man, that standard green looks pretty bad", and, knowing a thing or two about hex coloring (he's the senior engineer), he goes ahead and implements the following fix:

Code: [Select]
    if (color == "green")
    {
        color = "#56ff00ff";
    }

It's probably the same guy as the one who fixed the JackOffAllTrades thing—his stylistic signature is clear for all to see.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0 (Windows)
« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2015, 11:14:23 am »
+11

Releasing MAKiNG MORE FUN 0.44.2a. This version includes compatibility with Dominion Online 2.0.44.2, grouped draw cards, coloring for the reactions as well as our beloved Necropolis, and a reduction in brightness of the default cyan, adding a few years to your eyes' lifespan. Some bugs with the first player counter and the log display were fixed, and the file graverobber.dat is now written to Users\Public\MMF for use with the upcoming Graverobbber extension.

Installation instructions: extract the .rar file into your \Dominion\Dominion_Data\Managed folder and enjoy. If your file manager doesn't let you do this, restart it with admin privileges.

Edit: I've also updated the OP and started referring to the thing as a "mod" rather than a "patch": in stead of patching essential things up, it now modifies and extends functionality.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:54:55 am by SheCantSayNo »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2015, 01:12:05 pm »

Let's say a line in the log can contain 30 capitals "W" before it starts running over, what would then be a good character limit that is maximally permissive without leading to spilled lines in practice?

Alternatively: what are some of the names that are both long and have a high space-consumption/character ratio that you've seen around?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:14:15 pm by SheCantSayNo »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2015, 03:32:11 pm »
+2

Let's say a line in the log can contain 30 capitals "W" before it starts running over, what would then be a good character limit that is maximally permissive without leading to spilled lines in practice?

Alternatively: what are some of the names that are both long and have a high space-consumption/character ratio that you've seen around?
I think you could just truncate names at 13 characters. That's a "W" over SheCantSayNo and so looks like about what you can fit on that screen image. It's unlikely your opponent has the same name as you up to that point and hey there's color-coding. You don't really care which Gentleman you're fighting in the campaigns.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2015, 04:23:15 pm »

Yes, something like that sounds good. I'll probably allow for a bit more, replace "turn X" with "TX" and shorten [Possessed] and [Outpost] (or whatever the exact wording and capitalization is) into [Pos] and [Out].

In other news, the first player counter is still broken w.r.t. T1 restarts, so don't rely on it for your tournament matches (the score thing works fine). If I can't find a fix soon I'll just have it replaced with the record from previous games (like the score), it's all you're really interested in because you can just see who goes first right now, but it would still be nice to have the current game included.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2015, 06:13:51 pm »

MMF 0.44.2b with fixed first player counter, "turn " replaced with "T", "[possessed]" with "[pos]" (apparently there's nothing for Outpost) and one other string replacement (more to follow).

Edit: FWIW, in 0.44.2a the first player counter works as it should until a game is resigned on T1, after which not all variables get reset properly and the mod assumes who was P1 in the resigned game will be P1 in all future ones. It would make for a great troll feature.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:26:11 am by SheCantSayNo »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »
+7

You obviously won't be getting an alert for your own messages, but I had no choice here: Villager Bot is a man of action, not of words.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »

Hopefully MF will take my suggestion soon and shove the chat at the bottom of the log, like Salvager.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2015, 01:36:14 am »
+5

I don't know if they will, but we sure will.

But... Sadly we can't type into that chat box.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:37:57 am by Deadlock39 »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2015, 08:09:12 pm »
+3

Releasing MAKiNG MORE FUN 0.44.2c. New features include a chat alert that's ever so slightly harder to miss than MF's default, every list of cards (Hunting Party reveal, Chapel trashing, etc.) now being counted and grouped, trimming of dashes for long usernames, as well as some small bug fixes like the name of Ill-Gotten Gains not being shown correctly when drawn.

The coloring of excessively long usernames may fail due to the way MF has set up the coloring. For now I haven't bothered to fix it because I don't expect MMF users to encounter it in the wild, but please report it if you do and I may make it a bigger priority.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:16:35 pm by SheCantSayNo »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2015, 01:59:13 am »
+1

The changes to the log are a huge improvement. Kudos!

Now I need to port it to the Mac version.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2015, 04:53:52 am »

Can you give a short instruction what to do with those files in the MMF directory to get the colored log?
All I see is two txt files and that strange dat file. If I open it in my Chrome it looks just like... a txt file
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:58:17 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2015, 05:57:04 am »

Deadlock has created a webpage that will let you load the .dat file and then parses it and live-updates the colored log. It's up to him to publish the url.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2015, 10:26:27 am »
+2

Can you give a short instruction what to do with those files in the MMF directory to get the colored log?
All I see is two txt files and that strange dat file. If I open it in my Chrome it looks just like... a txt file

gamelog.txt is just the log from your game.  If you want to save the log from a game, you can copy that file before you start a new game. jsonlog.txt is a log of the communications from the server that the client sends (as SCSN said before, no passwords or scary things to be found in there).

As SCSN mentioned, graverobber.dat is the file that the graverobber plugin will use to generate the Salvager style logs I have been posting screenshots of.  I have a short list of features I am working on before it is where I want it to before the initial release. If everything goes well, I hope to release this weekend.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2015, 12:13:46 pm »

Is it possible to group up the "receives coin token" lines in the log aswell? I just played a Merchant Guild engine where half of the log consisted of that one line. (The same applies to VP tokens, I believe)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »

Is it possible to group up the "receives coin token" lines in the log aswell? I just played a Merchant Guild engine where half of the log consisted of that one line. (The same applies to VP tokens, I believe)

Based on some things SCSN told me I think this is somewhat difficult within the game client (but not impossible since it is pretty similar to the buys/gains). It should be super easy to add to Graverobber, so I will add it to my feature list.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2015, 05:01:33 pm »
+1

I tried using Hex Fiend to look at the hex diffs between the .dll files and apply changes manually, but I haven't got it to work. If you could find a way to decompile the .dll files and just add the C# changes that might work better. I could browse the decompiled source in Mono, but couldn't edit/recompile.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2015, 06:34:52 pm »

I'll look into this once I have Blitz Dominion working, which should hopefully be within a week from now.

I tried using Hex Fiend to look at the hex diffs between the .dll files and apply changes manually, but I haven't got it to work. If you could find a way to decompile the .dll files and just add the C# changes that might work better. I could browse the decompiled source in Mono, but couldn't edit/recompile.

It's going to be extremely hard to get a working recompilation because there are a few hundred instructions all decompilers I've tried can't resolve. But if anyone succeeds, by all means let me know.

In the meantime, could any of you send me the Mac version of Assembly-CSharp.dll? I'm curious as to whether I can do something with it under Windows.

MdLC

• Scout
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2015, 06:45:48 pm »
+5

I'll look into this once I have Blitz Dominion working, which should hopefully be within a week from now.

It's going to be extremely hard to get a working recompilation because there are a few hundred instructions all decompilers I've tried can't resolve. But if anyone succeeds, by all means let me know.

In the meantime, could any of you send me the Mac version of Assembly-CSharp.dll? I'm curious as to whether I can do something with it under Windows.

I managed to port your Assembly-CSharp.dll to the Mac version by disassembling it, making the Windows to Mac changes in the IL, and reassembling it (using a Windows VM). But on Dominion startup, MMF is throwing an exception, and the game seems to be hanging whenever it receives network data (it won't log me in or allow me to play a campaign scenario).

Here is the exception:
Code: [Select]
Platform assembly: /Applications/Dominion 2.0.44.2.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/MMF.dll (this message is harmless)
ArgumentException: Invalid SpecialFolder
  at System.Environment.InternalGetFolderPath (SpecialFolder folder) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Environment.GetFolderPath (SpecialFolder folder) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MMF.MakeMeSomeFun.initializeMMF () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MMF.MakeMeSomeFun.receiveServerMessage (SimpleJSON.JSONNode serverMessage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NodeReceive.processReceive (SimpleJSON.JSONNode vJSONMsg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NodeReceive+<processList>c__Iterator4.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2015, 07:11:56 pm »

That looks promising!

The exception is caused by OS X not being able to comply with my request for the path of the "Users\Public\" folder. The game hangs whenever you receive a server message because it tries to write it to a file located along this path. Under Windows this should never ever fail, so there was no point in me using a try-catch construction, but I will include one now that will disable the output of these files on Mac just to see whether you can get it to work.

Ready
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:36:35 pm by SheCantSayNo »

MdLC

• Scout
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »
+8

Success! Here is a screenshot of the Mac client running with the modified MAKiNG MORE FUN 0.44.2c:

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2015, 08:39:09 am »
+11

Mac and Linux versions
MdLC has offered to help port and maintain a Mac and I think also a Linux version of MMF, which is greatly appreciated and especially awesome coming from someone who just signed up to the forum. So in addition to my thanks: a big warm welcome!

The exception he ran into (see a few posts above) was due to there being no OS X value for System.Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonDocuments. As of the next release I'm going to move the MMF folder to System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments, which points to the following locations:

Windows:   C:\Users\userName\Documents
Linux:   /home/userName
OS X:   /Users/userName

The \Users\Public folder I had initially chosen for the Windows location was picked just because it was the shortest path I could immediately think of that didn't require admin privileges to write and I saw no reason to change it, until now.

The Future
Once Blitz Dominion is done, the next major feature I'll be working on are auto-play tags: #urchin will never trash another Urchin for the rest of the game (typing it again will toggle it off); #bane will always reveal bane; #moat will always reveal Moat, etc. I'll try to intercept these chat messages because the #moat feature is a lot less useful if you have to inform your opponent that you're not going to reveal a Moat, but as of right now I can't guarantee that I can make this happen (though I obviously think it's just a matter of time and persistence).

What other useful auto-play scenarios are there other than the three I mentioned? I'm talking about auto-play for trivial logistics only; I'm not going to include stuff that auto-builds you a game-winning engine (pretending for a second that I could).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.