Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23  All

Author Topic: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0  (Read 171002 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Patch for Dominion Online 2.0 (Win Only)
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2015, 07:16:34 pm »
+32

Developing software is hard.
That was never my experience, back when I was a programmer. I used to say, every programming task was either trivial or impossible. And I don't mean, impossible-hard, I mean, impossible-the-hardware-won't-do-that. It was rare that there was a meaty thing to work on.

Most of the work on a Dominion program is this boring stuff that people have endlessly done. The one interesting area is the AI. For something like disabling animations, all the work is in playing a couple games of Dominion to see if it's working.

As Jack Handey says, a man doesn't just automatically earn my respect; he has to get down on his knees and beg for it.

Then we have the question of legality and all that. I think there's nothing to worry about eight ways from Sunday, but here's a terse argument that requires no IANAL:

- MF has to keep me happy or they are done. In the end I hold the rights. I don't even have a contract with them to worry about the fine print in. I am friendly, I try to do what a disinterested third party would find reasonable; do not be getting your hopes up, I am just proving a point here. They do in fact have to worry about my opinion of them.
- They know this.
- I will not be happy if they so much as cancel an account for someone downloading a replacement file to turn animations off. Why am I doing business with these crazy customer-hating people, I would be thinking. Surely third parties would be similarly incredulous.

three dots, they are not doing anything about it, QED.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:51 pm »
+3

A simple solution would be to put the X over just the art of the card. Still visible, doesn't block anything vital.
Yes but.

Currently, with no big X anywhere, there are times when you cannot see what your card does and in fact have no way to find out within the system. This has come up in the MF forums - I'm not familiar with Dark Ages, my hand has a Hovel, it's behind Copper so I can't read the text, there's nowhere to see that text.

When you solve that problem then it doesn't matter if the big X hides part of Squire.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:52 pm »

A simple solution would be to put the X over just the art of the card. Still visible, doesn't block anything vital.
Yes but.

Currently, with no big X anywhere, there are times when you cannot see what your card does and in fact have no way to find out within the system. This has come up in the MF forums - I'm not familiar with Dark Ages, my hand has a Hovel, it's behind Copper so I can't read the text, there's nowhere to see that text.

When you solve that problem then it doesn't matter if the big X hides part of Squire.

Isn't the easiestsolution to that to just put a card in front of all other cards while you hover your cursor over it? Or is there a more general problem, and the argument is you should be able to see any card at any time, no matter whether in your hand or even in the supply? I guess this might matter with Knights/Ruins and Black Market, so hum.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2015, 07:29:08 pm »
+1

I'm going to say this the nicest way I can: F.DS as a whole has done a really awful job of explaining to MF what they want out of MF's client.

Maybe try to say it a meaner way, because as is I don't follow your argument at all. It's incredibly clear what F.DS as a whole wants out of MF's client; it's been clearly expressed in threads that MF employees are reading.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »
+8

Linux version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14014.msg530918#msg530918

Credit goes to SCSN, I just used hexeditor to apply his binary changes and it works. Maybe someone can do that for Mac.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:38:28 pm by yed »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2015, 08:16:07 pm »

This is great, thanks for going the extra half mile. It is amazing how much it actually improves the UI and speed of the game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:43:40 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2015, 08:51:09 pm »

This thread has reminded me of something I've been wondering about - how does the client resolve inconsistencies between players' animation speeds? If I've chosen Normal and my opponent selects Very Fast, does he experience a delay every time I do some action? Do both clients just go with the slower (or faster) of the two speeds?

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »
+3

as someone coming from PC/video games, MF's performance throughout this has been downright shocking to me.  in that world, people would not stand for this quality of product, period.  the price, the horribly ugly graphics in general, the lack of attention to fixing basic issues (and yes, i would consider "animation options" pretty darned basic)...

you think we treated them badly here? i'll bet you that if dominion online were a video game people were invested in, 4chan would've found all MF employees' addresses and phone numbers by now.

in short: respect for taking this shit into your own hands. if history is anything to go by, that may well be necessary yet again

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Patch for Dominion Online 2.0 (Windows)
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2015, 12:01:56 am »
+4

The default behavior of the colored borders that highlight the cards is to oscillate their transparency between alpha values of 0.5 (semi-transparent) and 1 (fully opaque). Disabling the oscillation and using some fixed alpha evoked the extremely unpleasant association with a frozen Goko client—an experience I don't wish on any of you.

I might experiment some more with different transparency ranges and mixing up some colors (the upcoming troll edition will feature the same ones for both Trash and Play), but for now I expect things to remain largely the same, although I'm still open to simple suggestions.

More complicated stuff like having new layers displayed on top of the cards is really best handled by Making Fun, unless someone manages to convince them that it's a good idea to make the client open source.

Then some mildly amusing part of the decompiled code:

Code: [Select]
switch (num)
{
    case 0:
        white = Color.green;
        [...]
        break;

case 1:
        white = Color.blue;
        [...]
        break;

case 2:
        white = this.HexToColor("87cefa");
        [...]
        break;

case 3:
        white = this.HexToColor("ff000000");
        [...]
        break;

case 4:
        white = this.HexToColor("ffa500");
        [...]
        break;

case 5:
        white = this.HexToColor("ff1493");
        [...]
        break;
}

White really is all the colors!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:37:06 am by SheCantSayNo »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2015, 01:43:14 am »

this.HexToColor("ff000000")

Dominion, now with an extra dimension of color.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2015, 01:47:51 am »
+2

this.HexToColor("ff000000")

Dominion, now with an extra dimension of color.

That's the UV channel.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2015, 03:41:19 am »
+1

I like colored borders as they are and I would like if the changes remain as small as possible.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:43:30 am by yed »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2015, 04:12:31 am »

I guess they should just open source the UI part of the game. Though, I guess it might be hard to split this into two modules if it wasn't prepared for it from the start / developed in a clean way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:04:03 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:59 am »

I like the colored borders when playing, trashing and discarding. The blue atrocity when passing a card with Masquerade is horrible though, and I'm not sure what makes it particularly distracting, but I would like it more if it was less like what it is now.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2015, 10:00:38 am »

Also, I thought Donald's suggestion was that the red X only appears on mouseover.  So to view the information, you move the mouse just a little in like, any direction, and bam, the information is available to you.  So that information is "as easy as possible to acquire".

I really couldn't imagine preferring it any other way. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2015, 10:03:43 am »
+13

It's too bad something like this isn't illegal; we could have a whole outlaw image for ourselves.  We could make "Free SCSN" shirts and hold protests. 

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2015, 10:37:42 am »
+1

I like colored borders as they are and I would like if the changes remain as small as possible.

Colored borders are one of the few great UI decisions that adds information without being distracting or ugly. They're a huge positive of an online adaptation, I'd say.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:59 am »
+1

Colored borders are one of the few great UI decisions that adds information without being distracting or ugly. They're a huge positive of an online adaptation, I'd say.

Colored borders that sparkle... that's where it's at.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2015, 10:41:14 am »
+2

I swear, I honestly think my brain is disassociating from reality. You had to remind me they now sparkle. Sparkling colored borders, they're awful.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2015, 10:44:38 am »
+2

Updated patch that changes the ugly dark-blue border highlight (visible when passing with Masq or revealing a Bane) to a lighter color.

The blue atrocity when passing a card with Masquerade is horrible though, and I'm not sure what makes it particularly distracting, but I would like it more if it was less like what it is now.

Let me know if you like this one better.

Sparkling colored borders, they're awful.

They are. Fortunately, this patch disables them.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2015, 10:47:07 am »

I swear, I honestly think my brain is disassociating from reality. You had to remind me they now sparkle. Sparkling colored borders, they're awful.

Ha, do they really?  I was just making that up.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:59 am »

The blue atrocity when passing a card with Masquerade is horrible though, and I'm not sure what makes it particularly distracting, but I would like it more if it was less like what it is now.

Let me know if you like this one better.

Yes, this is a lot better.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2015, 11:21:17 am »
+10

It still seems like it would have made sense for everyone to just pay money to whoever chose to buy the license for online dominion and continue playing on Isotropic.  You can even take dougz out of the equation, remove isotropic entirely, and just have in 2013: "RGG decrees that Isotropic closes down.  We sold the license for online dominion to Goko.  You guys have to make your own open source implementation of Dominion, then pay Goko to play on it."  As much as it makes no sense, it makes less sense for a fan to need to volunteer to reverse engineer code from an existing implementation in order to add critical, trivial features.

Hilariously, I have an awful lot of trouble believing people would be paying more/getting less in that scenario.  And I have trouble believing online dominion is now larger than it is in that parallel universe, Isotropic seemed to me to be on a growth arc to do much better than dominion is doing now, especially with Hearthstone's release opening lots of people to the idea of playing card games on their computers.

I'm probably wrong, I hope I'm wrong, Adam Horton come tell me I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:22:24 am by popsofctown »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2015, 12:07:31 pm »
+1

It still seems like it would have made sense for everyone to just pay money to whoever chose to buy the license for online dominion and continue playing on Isotropic.  You can even take dougz out of the equation, remove isotropic entirely, and just have in 2013: "RGG decrees that Isotropic closes down.  We sold the license for online dominion to Goko.  You guys have to make your own open source implementation of Dominion, then pay Goko to play on it."  As much as it makes no sense, it makes less sense for a fan to need to volunteer to reverse engineer code from an existing implementation in order to add critical, trivial features.

Hilariously, I have an awful lot of trouble believing people would be paying more/getting less in that scenario.  And I have trouble believing online dominion is now larger than it is in that parallel universe, Isotropic seemed to me to be on a growth arc to do much better than dominion is doing now, especially with Hearthstone's release opening lots of people to the idea of playing card games on their computers.

I'm probably wrong, I hope I'm wrong, Adam Horton come tell me I'm wrong.

I've suggested the paying for Isotropic model once or twice over the past few months, and there's a lot going for it. We already know that Isotropic has Adventures implemented, so we would get instant access to that. The program is fast and beloved by everyone here evidently, with a utilitarian interface. The main thing against it is that it doesn't seem very casual-friendly, but there's no reason you couldn't have both MF Dominion and pay-to-play Isotropic at the same time, other than diluting the user base.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2015, 01:25:28 pm »
+8

I'd throw in $1000 for a return of dominion isotropic, which requires MF or Goko authorization credentials to play.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.