Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23  All

Author Topic: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0  (Read 171014 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0
« on: October 11, 2015, 10:55:18 pm »
+54

MAKiNG MORE FUN 0.48a for Windows, OSX and Linux

This mod enhances the look and extends the functionality of Making Fun's Dominion Online 2.0 for Windows, OSX and Linux. Features include Blitz Dominion, autoplay functionality, multi coin token input, alternative "End Actions/Turn" buttons, moving the chat to below the log, alternative hand layout for having a large number of uniques in hand, player counters being permanently visible, buttons to use Watchtower's abilities with a single click, control over the background graphics, a more readable, more compact log with better coloring, session statistics (score and first player count), card grouping in the log and the replacement of the Masq dark-blue border by a lighter tint—all combined with a GUI that provides you an easy way to customize your experience.

Autoplay

Since 0.44.2d autoplay functionality is available that automates certain trivial but repetitive actions, like deciding what Copper to trash with Moneylender, revealing a bane to Young Witch or not trashing your Urchin(s) after playing an attack. As of now the following cards admit autoplay: Alchemist, Bishop, Counting House, Torturer, Treasury, Urchin, Watchtower, Moat, Mountebank, Fool's Gold, Walled Village, Mining Village, Horse Traders, Tournament, Tunnel, Plaza, Stash, Moneylender, Trader and Bane reveal to Young Witch.

Installation Instructions

1. Download the mod: Windows | Mac | Linux

2. Under Windows, extract the downloaded .rar file to your "Program Files (x86)\Dominion\Dominion_Data\Managed" folder (or wherever you installed Dominion). If your file manager doesn't let you do this, restart it with admin privileges. For installation under OS X, consult the included text file or read this post. No special instructions apply for Linux, just get the MMF files into your Dominion_Data\Managed folder.

3. Enjoy!

If you want to back-up the old file first, rename Assembly-CSharp.dll to something of your liking prior to extracting.

Updates

I'll be updating this mod to maintain compatibility with MF's client until they implement all these lovely features themselves (expected somewhere late March 2019). If you want your improved gameplay experience to continue uninterrupted, it's prudent to wait with updating your Dominion Online client to versions beyond 2.0.48 until an updated mod has been released.

Praise for MAKiNG MORE FUN

Man, that's amazing. I played two games, everything seems to be working and it's so much more pleasant than Goko or MF.

Just tried this out and it works perfectly. This combined with the faster speed settings from 2.0.42.1 really seem to make this version as good as / better than Goko Dominion, finally.

Big thumbs up from me - having a problem and deciding to actually do something about it.

This is great, thanks for going the extra half mile. It is amazing how much it actually improves the UI and speed of the game.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:16:15 pm by SCSN »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Patch for Dominion Online 2.0 (Win Only)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:31:59 pm »

Just tried this out and it works perfectly. This combined with the faster speed settings from 2.0.42.1 really seem to make this version as good as / better than Goko Dominion, finally.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 11:46:37 pm »
+6

Well, it's not better than Goko as long as I can get into #vpoff games by accident, but the game itself is super good.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the name isn't MAKiNG MAKiNG FUN FUN though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:58:54 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:55:12 am »

Nice.  Good work.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:59:11 am »
+1

Colored borders are fine to me - that's a good UI decision. The animations of them, on the other hand...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:36:59 am »
+4

The thread title made me think you could only use this until you lost a game.

(Win Only)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 01:41:20 am »

For the card borders, if it's simple enough, you could release a few different versions that have differing amounts of animation for those.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 02:01:21 am »
+5

The thread title made me think you could only use this until you lost a game.

(Win Only)

Surely you got this wrong. It says if you use this client you'll never lose a game again
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:06:37 am »
+7

The one thing that's still present in the current patch are the colored borders to highlight your cards, although without the burning flames. I'm not quite sure what to do with them yet, so suggestions are welcome, including "I like them as they are".
Here's what I would do (though I don't know how much control you have):

- When picking a card to play, highlight it. You could have nothing here; the physical game handles it with card color. However it's fair to point out that orange and gray and blue and tan all mean Action and wouldn't it be nice to group them. So, instead of highlighting, you could change the card images to have the light gray title bar on all Actions, regardless of the rest of the card's color. However if you're ever more limited (e.g. "you may play a Cultist") you'd want highlighting for the relevant cards. So I might just always highlight playable cards.
- When picking a card to trash or return-to-supply, put a giant red X over the entire card image. No amount of highlighting does the trick.
- When picking a card to discard or put-on-deck, put a giant left arrow over the card image.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 04:31:07 am »

Now that's a new level of dedication!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 06:07:06 am »
+26

Let's keep in mind that it took SCSN 3-4 days to make a working version of animation-free Dominion, so we now know that it was unreasonable to expect it to be done from MF within the last 5 months.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 06:17:20 am »
+1

I would strongly caution anyone in the US (really anywhere, you really should look into that regardless IMO) against using this until someone who actually knows something about the laws behind this weighs in and says exactly how legal this is.

Does anyone at MF know that this exists? It's difficult for me to understand why we are so impatient that we want to do this now so we don't have to wait until they get to it. I really really really really think that you should take the link down temporarily, ask MF for permission to do this, and then put it back up when/if they give it to you; but I know you won't do that.

I would also be interested in seeing a "before and after" video of what this thing looks like. I bet you Jeff at MF would also be interested in seeing that. I'd be willing to make one, but there's no way I'm touching this at all until I know 100% that I can't possibly get in any trouble with anyone for doing it.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:56:25 am »
+17

...strongly caution anyone...

Wow Adam. It's just a modification to some local code that changes the way things are displayed. He is not affecting the client/server interaction in any way.
Neither is SCSN trying to make money by selling this mod.

Big thumbs up from me - having a problem and deciding to actually do something about it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:57:35 am »

Just a hunch, but something tells me that nobody at Making Fun is going to sue their own customer base for replacing one text file on their computer with another. I don't think we need to assume that legal repercussions are on the horizon for everyone who dares to do this. At the very least, someone from MF would probably ask us not to use it first? What would make this illegal but Salvager just fine?

bug me on discord

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 07:01:40 am »

Why should MF mind? They know there is a segment that doesn't want animations. This solves that problem.

Anyway, I think you're being a bit paranoid here Adam.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 07:46:05 am »
+20

I would strongly caution anyone in the US (really anywhere, you really should look into that regardless IMO) against using this until someone who actually knows something about the laws behind this weighs in and says exactly how legal this is.

The Netherlands does not, in general, use capital punishment, but they make a singular exception for patching a .dll file in such a way that it disables some animations in a game client. It's just that I love you guys so much that I'm willing to risk my life to provide the Dominion experience I believe you deserve.

It's difficult for me to understand why we are so impatient that we want to do this now so we don't have to wait until they get to it.

So first I should wait for them to do their job (which, incidentally, I've been doing for five months)...

I bet you Jeff at MF would also be interested in seeing that.

...and then I should take it upon myself to show them how to do it?

Man, if you want to be taken seriously, the least thing you could do is make sure your criticism is internally consistent.

But you're right on one point: I really do not care whether MF OKs this patch or not. In fact I hope they loath the thing, as that would be its greatest possible endorsement.

And just to be clear to everyone: the patch isn't going anywhere. The only person capable of making a take-down request that I might consider is Donald, and he's here in this very thread, making useful suggestions.

Neither is SCSN trying to make money by selling this mod.

The long con is to make all of you thoroughly dependent before introducing a monthly subscription with steadily increasing fee.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 08:17:46 am »
+3

The long con is to make all of you thoroughly dependent before introducing a monthly subscription with steadily increasing fee.

In ducats, right?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 08:40:16 am »
+4

Remember:

Only you can prevent forest fires.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 09:43:56 am »
+7

You can call it paranoid, but I know that where I'm from, this is getting close to being illegal (like into the gray area), so it's my responsibility to do some research to make sure what I'm doing is legal before doing it or else I'm breaking the law. I really don't want to break the law, that's important to me.

Maybe you all would do it differently, that's fine, go ahead. I actually was hoping to see what this thing looked like for myself because maybe it's awesome. I'm not saying it isn't. But at the same time, I'm not going to download an executable/patch from the internet made my some guy I've never met before (in person) and run it on my computer when I have reason to believe I might be breaking a law, no matter how small the percentage is.

Many people take computer security/legality too lightly, but as someone who works in that industry, I take it very seriously. You can call me paranoid but I know what I'm talking about here and being on the safe side is important to me. I never said you all shouldn't use it (despite being misquoted in the OP as having said that -- BTW I'm not mad about that, I actually found that really funny), I just said make sure to do your research before downloading and running an executable/patch from the internet on your computer. I don't understand why this advice is being criticized, everyone should always do that anyways.

I don't know what modifications to the file he made, I don't know that it doesn't mess with the client/server interactions. I could find out but I'm not going to buy a license to IDA and poke around and see what he did nor can I really take his word for it and just hope that holds up as a legal defense. I also don't know if these particular modifications are going to be any good once the next version of MF Dominion is released, maybe he'll have to patch that one separately, who knows?

I'm going to say this the nicest way I can: F.DS as a whole has done a really awful job of explaining to MF what they want out of MF's client. SCSN's post that he links is a great example of this. The fact that his request hasn't been implemented in five months does not mean they will never do it; nobody here knows how hard that is to do, and their product is still in beta. We still have Goko to play on. This fix will probably only work for one version of a beta piece of software that nobody will be using two weeks from now. I'm not saying there isn't value in this (that's why I suggested that someone make a video of this and show it to Jeff) but let's not misrepresent what's happening here: aside from that video, the only value in this would come from SCSN having to potentially do more RE and release a different patch for every single version of MF Dominion that ever comes out. Maybe some day this patch will just stop working altogether. I don't know the details of this but I'd be surprised to hear otherwise.

On the other hand, I made a video a while back about the animation delay, sent it to some people at MF, and wasn't a total jerkbag. This most recent version of the software shows actual improvement as a direct result of that. This improvement, without any additional work from me, will be in every future version of MF Dominion, and the people who actually develop this thing understand the feedback, why it's important, and have now incorporated it into their design. It's, like, good software engineering practice instead of a hack. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it's an improvement and they're still developing the software. I don't think this thing is perfect either (maybe it is, I haven't tried it). Since then I've exchanged several PMs with people at MF, helped them with a few other things, and I'd like to think that if there's something I can share with them that represents what people here care about, maybe I can help bring that to MF's attention in a way that they can understand and use, since this forum in general doesn't have a good track record of that.

If this is well-received by the community here, then I'd love to use this experience and my contact with them to translate this into something constructive that they can use. A video of this thing along with maybe an explanation of what exactly about it is desirable would go a long way.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:03 am »
+5

There's a difference between cautioning against downloading an exe file to your computer and cautioning against doing something illegal.  The former is good advice independent of whether the negative outcome is illegal; the latter is implausible here absent some kind of scienter on your part.

In other words this seems on par with Goko Salvager, no?  The main difference is that people used Goko Salvager for a long time and it built up some trust with the users, trust which SCSN is still building.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 09:54:40 am »

There's a difference between cautioning against downloading an exe file to your computer and cautioning against doing something illegal.  The former is good advice independent of whether the negative outcome is illegal; the latter is implausible here absent some kind of scienter on your part.

One was about computer security and the other is about law, so yes they're totally different. I actually don't know what you mean by the bolded part, though. I don't have time to read MF's EULA right now, umm, obviously I need to do some more research, which was the whole point of what I said, yeah? What am I missing here?

In other words this seems on par with Goko Salvager, no?  The main difference is that people used Goko Salvager for a long time and it built up some trust with the users, trust which SCSN is still building.

You aren't wrong, though the fact that Salvager was open-source helped a lot. I could just look at the code and know that it wasn't doing anything super-shady or illegal (Goko also said they were OK with it at some point, didn't they? That was a long time ago.)

This is much harder because it requires knowledge of a lot of components we don't have source for, and some more detailed information about what exactly SCSN did. For my own intellectual curiosity I'd certainly like to see that, and it would also be a prerequisite for me ever running this thing on my computer (realistically, though, I'd have to do a LOT of RE into MF's client as well, and I really really hate RE so it's probably not going to happen).

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 10:05:33 am »
+1

Minor pedantic point - this isn't an executable file, it is just a replacement DLL file with some of the contents deleted. You don't have to run anything on your computer to make this work - you just replace the old one with this one. Haven't tried this but I bet you can use any number of text editors to compare the two files and confirm that its all just deletions.

bug me on discord

they/them

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:08 am »
+5

Minor pedantic point - this isn't an executable file, it is just a replacement DLL file with some of the contents deleted. You don't have to run anything on your computer to make this work - you just replace the old one with this one. Haven't tried this but I bet you can use any number of text editors to compare the two files and confirm that its all just deletions.

DLLs are executable files. The fact that it's all deletions doesn't really mean much.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:42 am »
+2

I'm going to say this the nicest way I can: F.DS as a whole has done a really awful job of explaining to MF what they want out of MF's client. SCSN's post that he links is a great example of this. The fact that his request hasn't been implemented in five months does not mean they will never do it; nobody here knows how hard that is to do, and their product is still in beta. We still have Goko to play on. This fix will probably only work for one version of a beta piece of software that nobody will be using two weeks from now. I'm not saying there isn't value in this (that's why I suggested that someone make a video of this and show it to Jeff) but let's not misrepresent what's happening here: aside from that video, the only value in this would come from SCSN having to potentially do more RE and release a different patch for every single version of MF Dominion that ever comes out. Maybe some day this patch will just stop working altogether. I don't know the details of this but I'd be surprised to hear otherwise.

On the other hand, I made a video a while back about the animation delay, sent it to some people at MF, and wasn't a total jerkbag. This most recent version of the software shows actual improvement as a direct result of that. This improvement, without any additional work from me, will be in every future version of MF Dominion, and the people who actually develop this thing understand the feedback, why it's important, and have now incorporated it into their design. It's, like, good software engineering practice instead of a hack. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it's an improvement and they're still developing the software. I don't think this thing is perfect either (maybe it is, I haven't tried it). Since then I've exchanged several PMs with people at MF, helped them with a few other things, and I'd like to think that if there's something I can share with them that represents what people here care about, maybe I can help bring that to MF's attention in a way that they can understand and use, since this forum in general doesn't have a good track record of that.

It can't be that hard to implement, considering SCSN did it in a say. Also I really think you should need a video to understand "option to turn off animations".

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:02 am »
+22

I'm going to say this the nicest way I can: F.DS as a whole has done a really awful job of explaining to MF what they want out of MF's client.

I don't agree with you at all. I've been very active in their closed beta release, I've given them way more feedback then I guess anyone else and got really nice thank you notes for each and every one of them. However, the only kind of thank you I was interested in was actually fixing the things I reported. And this almost never happened. In fact, quite often things got worse.

I also think I have a pretty good feeling for how hard it is to make a product like this, and how hard it is to do better then what MF is doing here.
It isn't hard at all. They're doing a terrible job, having their priorities completely mixed up. They're close to killing the game I love so much.
My best and almost only hope is that MF goes broke asap and we can have new party give it a go. Man, I'd love to be part of that.
And then I mean actually a new party, not just the same guys with a new name and a new bag of money reimplementing their own stupid UI.
Fortunately the game is just too good to die out completely, but it's ridiculously small as an online game and that is their fault entirely.

I don't think it's really up to f.ds to explain to Making Fun what they're doing wrong. That only starts working once they're up to a certain base level and want to improve even further.
For now the way they're dealing with feedback is just ridiculous to the point that they don't deserve to receive it any further. There is no point in talking to a wall, and it certainly isn't enjoyable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.