Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Codenames - New simple, but very intriguing word game by Vlaada Chvátil  (Read 13492 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: Codenames - New simple, but very intriguing word game by Vlaada Chvátil
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2015, 05:58:31 pm »

I'll get involved in as many (2v2) games of this as has a spot free. It's fun and less awful when I can't "keep up" than Mafia, since all I need to know is current grid, whose turn it is, and the clue.

I'd also be interested in trying a team variant but I'm not clear on how team Codenames works, exactly.

You actually also need to know prior clues you didn't fully solve :P
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:55 pm »

I'll get involved in as many (2v2) games of this as has a spot free. It's fun and less awful when I can't "keep up" than Mafia, since all I need to know is current grid, whose turn it is, and the clue.

I'd also be interested in trying a team variant but I'm not clear on how team Codenames works, exactly.

You actually also need to know prior clues you didn't fully solve :P

First I have to quit fully solving them ;)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2015, 07:52:29 pm »

It can also help to pay attention to what the other spymaster said. If the other person didn't get all the clues, then that might help you rule out certain words.

Though that can be dangerous. In game IV, the spymaster said Hitler, so I figured Brazil would be one of them. Turned out he wasn't going that route, and Brazil was actually my color. Fortunately, my spymaster gave me a stronger clue for Brazil so I went against my initial thought.

Of course, winging it can be fun too.
A man has no signature

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2015, 03:16:46 am »

It can also help to pay attention to what the other spymaster said. If the other person didn't get all the clues, then that might help you rule out certain words.

Though that can be dangerous. In game IV, the spymaster said Hitler, so I figured Brazil would be one of them. Turned out he wasn't going that route, and Brazil was actually my color. Fortunately, my spymaster gave me a stronger clue for Brazil so I went against my initial thought.

Of course, winging it can be fun too.

I don't actually know the Brazil connection.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2015, 06:59:24 am »

I didn't either  :'(

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2015, 09:48:52 am »

Or Argentina.

Source: that one episode of The Simpsons
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2015, 01:27:45 pm »

Probably a generational thing. As he would be 126 years old now, I guess the likelihood of him still hiding out in South America is even slimmer than before.

Also, the Boys from Brazil was a movie about duplicating Hitler.

So yeah, I'm going to chalk that up to a niche cultural thing and not assume people know those references. 

In any case, it probably helps to know what the other team clues were in case they don't get everything.
A man has no signature

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2015, 08:01:04 pm »

Still, that's a much simpler process than keeping up with mafia.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2015, 08:41:48 am »

I am just noticing that in boardgamegeek some matches are set up which explicitly rule out search engines. How do you feel about it? I think usage of Google can be exploited to a degree that would change the game, but this game should not encourage stretching the limits of the rules anyway.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2015, 09:00:59 am »

I think google should be allowed. Lots of times there is a reference that you don't understand because you have a different background

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:53 am »

I don't like it... I think it's fine if you can make up for your lack of knowledge by putting in some extra effort.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2015, 01:32:30 pm »

To some extent, I think not allowing Google is interesting in that it forces your spymaster to "play to your partner", meaning post-game we can all discuss why we didn't understand X or Y clue and learn more about each other.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:17 am »

I wouldn't mind joining 4 player game in addition to team game I'm participating in

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »

So now that I've played this in real life, I have a question... I noticed that in the Team Codenames game thread, the rules say that discussion between guessers should be in spoiler tags and that the clue-givers shouldn't look at them. Well this sort of rule doesn't exist in regular codenames... when the clue is given, the guessers discuss it, while the clue-giver can hear all that discussion. And it can be important strategically; he can use the stuff he learns from their discussion to help guide his next clue. Similar to how in Mysterium, listening to the teammates discuss what they think the clue means can help the ghost give his next clue.

Is there a reason that this rule was introduced for the forum version?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2015, 03:07:03 pm »

Faust said somewhere that you could post something that would ruin the game so we decided we would do spoiler tags

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »

Faust said somewhere that you could post something that would ruin the game so we decided we would do spoiler tags

What sort of thing could the guessers, who don't have any information that's not completely public, say that would cause a problem?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »

'Well, if TANK and WEAR are on our team, I believe he would give "rhubarb 2" as a clue whereas if we'd be looking for DENT and AUSTRALIA we would expect a clue like "hamstring 2".'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 03:45:42 pm »

'Well, if TANK and WEAR are on our team, I believe he would give "rhubarb 2" as a clue whereas if we'd be looking for DENT and AUSTRALIA we would expect a clue like "hamstring 2".'

Fair enough, but the rules for regular play would allow this sort of thing. Or, one might protest on the grounds that the clue given is supposed to actually "point to" one or more words on the table, and in this case the clue given would be purely a meta-gaming type thing and not a "real clue". But either way, I don't see why the rules for the forum version would be different from the rules for real-life play.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:16 am »

Fair enough, but the rules for regular play would allow this sort of thing. Or, one might protest on the grounds that the clue given is supposed to actually "point to" one or more words on the table, and in this case the clue given would be purely a meta-gaming type thing and not a "real clue". But either way, I don't see why the rules for the forum version would be different from the rules for real-life play.

Well, forum games allow for more extensive abuse. You could post a long list assigning a clue to every set of 9/8 words in the grid, and then the spymaster just needs to say the word and it's game over.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2015, 12:38:26 pm »

Well, forum games allow for more extensive abuse. You could post a long list assigning a clue to every set of 9/8 words in the grid, and then the spymaster just needs to say the word and it's game over.

It's even easier than that.  Assign each of the words a letter of the alphabet and then just post your first clue as heiuochsw: 9 and you have won the game.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2015, 02:22:12 pm »

It's even easier than that.  Assign each of the words a letter of the alphabet and then just post your first clue as heiuochsw: 9 and you have won the game.

Of course, all these approaches would be thwarted by the rule that clues may only be associated by meaning (so it's illegal to go "bravo 4" if four of your words start with b), but a less obvious stunt than the one I suggested (with more related words) would be a first step on a slippery slope.

It's a game where rules have room for interpretation and this is important to have people know beforehand.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2015, 06:16:58 pm »

If you can post a list 2042975 words long, you deserve to win the game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »

Considering some of the conversation I had in spoilers on that team game, I could see inadvertently feeding clues to the spymaster. I'd be less worried about it happening IRL.
A man has no signature

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2016, 07:27:02 am »

We just finished rounds with guessing teams of two using both open and concealed talk. I think in the end everyone was ok with open talk. It is clear that this game needs more "fair play" or rather "playing to the spirit of the laws" anyway.

I'd be interested to join another round of six. 

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2016, 07:37:50 am »

I'd be interested to play as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 19 queries.