Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trying to get the number increaser to work  (Read 3801 times)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
Trying to get the number increaser to work
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:03:35 am »

Year of Plenty
Action - Duration - $4
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card
----
While this is in play, if an action which is not Year of Plenty gives you:
Cards, +1 Card
Actions, +1 Action
Buys, +1 Buy
$, +$1

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get the number increaser to work
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:56:41 am »
+1

I think in the presence of Peddler variants this is overpowered. For example Year of Plenty and Market is identical to a throned Market but when you play a second action card Year of Plenty becomes strictly better than a Throne Room. Furthermore if Throne Room is the only Action card in your hand it is dead whereas Year of Plenty leads to an additional card in the next turn.

I do not think that these advantages of Year of Plenty over Throne Room compensate for its disadvantages, i.e. not being able to pimp terminal draws as much as Throne Room.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:06:55 am »

I do not think that these advantages of Year of Plenty over Throne Room compensate for its disadvantages, i.e. not being able to pimp terminal draws as much as Throne Room.

OK, so - (a) remove the duration part, and (b) raise the cost to 5.  Would that seem fairer?

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:52:54 am »

The duration part is definitely unnecessary and might make the card too strong. I am not sure whether the card has to cost 5 as I just analyzed Peddler variants.

- Terminal draws are getting decent boni, a Moat becomes a Smithy and a Smithy becomes a Huntring Ground.
- A lot of action cards provide two virtual Coins so here Year of Plenty is also very good.

- Extra Buys beyond the second one are rarely very valuable (except to gain Peddlers or if you want to buy a lot of cards but then you usually already have an engine which provides a huge pile of $ and Buys).
- Village-ifying Action cards that provide + 1 Action can be essential on boards without villages and if there are villages you avoid having to buy (so many of) them via Year of Plenty, akin to cards like Throne Room or Golem.

So all of the boni except for the extra Buys seem to be useful and I'd agree with you that testing it at 5 is a good idea. I also think that using decks in which Throne Room and Year of Plenty are present could provide some insights concerning the strength of your card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:02:07 am »

Did you try moving the "while this is in play" to above the line to see what would happen?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:11 am »
+1

I didn't, but I might give it a go now.  Where were we?  Something like:

Year of Plenty
Action - $5
+1 Action
While this is in play, if an action which is not Year of Plenty gives you:
Cards, +1 Card
Actions, +1 Action
Buys, +1 Buy
$, +$1

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:10:56 am »

if you played it with Hamlet and discarded a card to get the second +1 action, would you end up with +3 actions or +4?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 02:19:45 pm »

Year of Plenty
Action - $5
+1 Action
While this is in play, when an action which is not Year of Plenty gives you:
Cards, +1 Card
Actions, +1 Action
Buys, +1 Buy
$, +$1
Wording fix
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:27:14 pm by Limetime »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 02:23:25 pm »

I like it. I'd change it in a way that multiple years of plenty don't stack though

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 03:57:40 pm »

Rules questions: What if Rats gives me +1 Card when I trash it?  What if Villa gives me +1 Action when I buy it?  What if I would have drawn a card, except I have my -1 card token?

Balance issues: In a typical game, YoP is like saying for the rest of your turn, you have Pathfinding, Training, and/or Lost Arts on nearly every action.  This is kind of extreme!  It's also very luck-based, since sometimes you draw YoP and draw everything, and sometimes you don't.  You might consider letting it affect only one action, and then it might be on par with Bazaar.  Of course, this would take away part of what makes the concept interesting in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:59:40 pm by trivialknot »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:31:09 pm »
+1

+1 Action
Put your +1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Buy and +$1 token on an action supply pile. (Choices may be different.)
When you discard this from play, remove all tokens.

How about this?

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 06:34:35 pm »

+1 Action
Put your +1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Buy and +$1 token on an action supply pile. (Choices may be different.)

How about this?
I don't like the fact that it seriously antisynergizes with other token cards. Unlike other token cards you probably should put most of the tokens on the card you have most of.
The only cool thing i can think of is putting the tokens on one card and moving them around later.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 06:36:16 pm »

+1 Action

How about this?
I don't like the fact that it seriously antisynergizes with other token cards. Unlike other token cards you probably should put most of the tokens on the card you have most of.
The only cool thing i can think of is putting the tokens on one card and moving them around later.

I could be wrong, but there is only one other token card (Teacher) and then the 4 card shaped thingies.

I don't think that's too big of a problem; sometimes cards antisynergize with other cards and card shaped thingies, that's not the end of the world.

It is true that you are incentivzed to put all the tokens on one card. Maybe you can add the teacher clause that choices must differ?

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »

+1 Action

How about this?

I could be wrong, but there is only one other token card (Teacher) and then the 4 card shaped thingies.

I don't think that's too big of a problem; sometimes cards antisynergize with other cards and card shaped thingies, that's not the end of the world.

It is true that you are incentivzed to put all the tokens on one card. Maybe you can add the teacher clause that choices must differ?
The problem is Say you have 5 of the same cards This is practically 5 Lost city-market. It is also swingy because it can arrive at the start of the turn or the end of the turn.
If you have another set of cards you can move the tokens over with additional Copies of this.

Maybe something like this
NAME
6$-event
At the start of your next turn
Your opponent chooses a action supply pile that you cannot put tokens on this turn.
Put your tokens on 1 pile taking them off after you finish your turn.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:51:33 pm by Limetime »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:57 am »

+1 Action

How about this?

It doesn't really fit the original concept of the card, which was to get the "add 1 to numbers in the card text" to work in a well-defined way.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 05:23:00 am »

Rules questions: What if Rats gives me +1 Card when I trash it?

Then you get an extra card.

What if Villa gives me +1 Action when I buy it?

Then you get an extra action.

What if I would have drawn a card, except I have my -1 card token?

That's a good question :-)

I've started worrying about Storyteller and similar cards, too: it gives you a card and an action, then it gives you more cards.  Should you get an extra card twice?

Balance issues: In a typical game, YoP is like saying for the rest of your turn, you have Pathfinding, Training, and/or Lost Arts on nearly every action.  This is kind of extreme!  It's also very luck-based, since sometimes you draw YoP and draw everything, and sometimes you don't.  You might consider letting it affect only one action, and then it might be on par with Bazaar.  Of course, this would take away part of what makes the concept interesting in the first place.

Indeed.  I did consider wording it as "play a card. if it gives you..." but I had trouble pricing it. It's worse than Throne Room, since it doubles some but not necessarily all of a card's effects.  But it seems cheap at $3.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.