Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Post Your BORING Kingdom to Play  (Read 5431 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Post Your BORING Kingdom to Play
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:36:55 am »

I have an idea: instead of the most fun Kingdom, lets post what we think is the absolute most boring Kingdom to play.  There's only 2 main rules: no Rebuild, and no Cultist (so you can't just say Rebuild + 9 other useless cards, cus ya, that's way boring, but it's like, too lame).

"Boring" can mean whatever you want it to mean -- least complicated, least synergy between cards, most sloggy, etc.  Whatever you consider to be a lame game.  (I for one think slogs are not boring, because there are usually many intricate things to consider when playing them.)  And post why.

Note: your 10 least favorite Kingdom cards might not work because they may actually compose an interesting Kingdom.

I think it would be cool to see if there are common cards across all boring Kingdoms (Scout? Transmute? Etc.).  Or maybe there are bad cards that we rarely buy, but are somewhat fun to play with, and would therefore not make these boards.  Idk, would be interesting to see.

Side topic: I would think many of these Kingdoms would tend to players buying a lot of Silvers and Golds (because the Kingdom cards are so boring).  But what if the Silver and Gold piles were Embargo'd?  Would that make the Kingdom better?  Worse?

Here's mine:
  • Transmute
  • Embargo
  • Pearl Diver
  • Workshop
  • Scout
  • Silk Road
  • Taxman
  • Saboteur
  • Farmlands
  • Forge
These components have no synergy between each other (at least not that I can see), no real power, no way to double Province, and would take long compared to other games without powerful attacks (like >20 turns).

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your BORING Kingdom to Play
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:10:58 am »
+2

I made a board full of bottom-rated cards: Secret Chamber, Duchess, Chancellor, Woodcutter, Scout, Thief, Counting House, Harvest, Adventurer, Farmland.

Here's me playing it with Adam. It was only interesting because we started getting weirdly creative with it.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 02:38:58 am »
+3

Do you like Big Money? Do you love Big Money? Do you wish those pesky Kingdom cards were reduced to total irrelevance? Then try this!

Kingdom:
Coin of the Realm
Village
Scheme
Throne Room
Quarry
Walled Village
Fortress
Port
Band of Misfits
Border Village

Events:
Lost Arts
Inheritance

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 03:09:50 am »
+1

On a similar note: Coin of the Realm, University, Procession, Quarry, Throne Room, Golem, Band of Misfits, Royal Carriage, King's Court, Prince
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 06:42:24 am »

A few of these board have Scout and a source of Alt-VP, either Silk Road or Farmland. Scout/Silk Road would probay be really good, and in the latter game, you can use Scout to clean up your next hand, making it more likely that you can buy a Gold or a Province.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 07:19:15 am »

singletee has given the standard approach to boring Kingdoms: put in all the action support with no actions you want to play.

A few of these board have Scout and a source of Alt-VP, either Silk Road or Farmland. Scout/Silk Road would probay be really good, and in the latter game, you can use Scout to clean up your next hand, making it more likely that you can buy a Gold or a Province.

Scout/Silk Road is not going to be good.  Workshop/Silk Road might be.

I have an idea: instead of the most fun Kingdom, lets post what we think is the absolute most boring Kingdom to play.  There's only 2 main rules: no Rebuild, and no Cultist (so you can't just say Rebuild + 9 other useless cards, cus ya, that's way boring, but it's like, too lame).

Rebuild may be simultaneously difficult to play and have a high component of randomness, but it only becomes boring if you're playing it constantly.  Some people are going to find those two factors extremely interesting.

These components have no synergy between each other (at least not that I can see), no real power, no way to double Province, and would take long compared to other games without powerful attacks (like >20 turns).

If both players play Big Money you expect to be done well before 20 turns.

I think I've persuaded myself that boring is the same as lack of variety.  So I propose random Base only Kingdoms...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 07:23:10 am »
+6

Cultist is fun.

Here's mine:
  • Transmute
  • Embargo
  • Pearl Diver
  • Workshop
  • Scout
  • Silk Road
  • Taxman
  • Saboteur
  • Farmlands
  • Forge

Liar, it's not there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:28:41 am »

Anything worse than 4 player cutpurse + treasure is probably worth quitting at turn 1. At least with ghost ships you have some decisions.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:43:19 pm »
+1

Here's mine:
  • Transmute
  • Embargo
  • Pearl Diver
  • Workshop
  • Scout
  • Silk Road
  • Taxman
  • Saboteur
  • Farmlands
  • Forge

Farmlands turns copper into estate, gaining two victory cards at once. Workshop gains Silk Road in bulk. So, a little synergy.

Kingdom:
Coin of the Realm
Village
Scheme
Throne Room
Quarry
Walled Village
Fortress
Port
Band of Misfits
Border Village

Events:
Lost Arts
Inheritance

Inheritance can turn estates into Great Halls, essentially. That could be worth something.
I thought it was actually interesting until I realized that that was "Band of Misfits" and not "Bandit Camp."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:45:51 pm by JacquesTheBard »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »
+1

moat
chancellor
village
woodcutter
workshop
bureaucrat
feast
spy
festival
adventurer

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:58:39 pm »
+5

singletee has given the standard approach to boring Kingdoms: put in all the action support with no actions you want to play.

All vllages and no actions mmake Dominion a dull gam
All villages nd no actions make DomInion a dull game
Al Villages and no acTions Make domminon a dull game
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 11:52:09 am »

Is this a The Shining reference? Because i expected the capital letters to spell out a threatening word, like "redrum" or "toam".

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 02:55:45 pm »
+1

Is this a The Shining reference? Because i expected the capital letters to spell out a threatening word, like "redrum" or "toam".

It was supposed to be, but the fact that I've neither read nor watched The Shining probably hurts it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »

It was supposed to be, but the fact that I've neither read nor watched The Shining probably hurts it.

Well, the Letters don't spell anything out in the movie, i think. So even if you had seen it, you couldn't be blamed for your joke not meeting my expectation. You might want to watch the movie though. I think it's good.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.