Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Goko May Shut Down This Month! What Will We Do?  (Read 15488 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Goko May Shut Down This Month! What Will We Do?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 04:43:03 pm »

I'm actually not sure how MF is going to turn a profit. It depends on how much the server + staff costs are, but surely there aren't that many potential Dominion players willing to buy cards.

I expect them to transition to a subscription model at some point, since that will at least give a consistent cash flow.

Edit: Thought about it more, and I think I prefer models where players have the chance to "go infinite". I'm envisioning something like,

- The in game currency is buyable with real money.
- There are small events/tournaments where you need to pay an entry fee, but if you place highly you can win it back. (And the game siphons a percentage from the pot to make sure this decreases net currency.)
- The cards are buyable with in game currency.

So, in theory you can bankroll yourself and pay very little real money, but only a small percentage of the community can do so. I think anything close to that is still pretty far out.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:55:55 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 05:27:00 pm »

I'm actually not sure how MF is going to turn a profit. It depends on how much the server + staff costs are, but surely there aren't that many potential Dominion players willing to buy cards.

I expect them to transition to a subscription model at some point, since that will at least give a consistent cash flow.

Edit: Thought about it more, and I think I prefer models where players have the chance to "go infinite". I'm envisioning something like,

- There are small events/tournaments where you need to pay an entry fee, but if you place highly you can win it back. (And the game siphons a percentage from the pot to make sure this decreases net currency.)

So, in theory you can bankroll yourself and pay very little real money, but only a small percentage of the community can do so. I think anything close to that is still pretty far out.

They should also make a reasonable amount of money when they release adventures, but only if public opinion of their product is good enough when they release it. Hence their working on getting 2.0 out first and Adventures later.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 05:36:33 pm »

I think this would be fine, but in addition, there should be extra content that players can buy with the game currency, like emotes and skins like Prismata has. And there should be a lot of it, and some of it should be incredibly difficult to get. Then there would be an incentive for players to keep playing tournaments after getting all of the expansions.

There could also be ads. Not during a game because that would suck, but maybe instead of the crystal ball or something.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:40:00 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 09:13:13 pm »

There could also be ads. Not during a game because that would suck, but maybe instead of the crystal ball or something.

I think one of my favorite ways of getting in-game currency for something was something like "You can pay us money, or you can just watch this video and get a bit of our currency."
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 07:25:22 pm »

Maybe they can actually add the base game art. That should not be hard to implement. And I guess it can be a premium product you buy with in-game currency or something

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 08:18:22 pm »
+2

Speaking of alt art, if they released the Japanese version of dominion, I would actually buy online dominion cards (because it wouldn't feel like rebuying the game)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »
+1

I think this would be fine, but in addition, there should be extra content that players can buy with the game currency, like emotes and skins like Prismata has. And there should be a lot of it, and some of it should be incredibly difficult to get. Then there would be an incentive for players to keep playing tournaments after getting all of the expansions.

No.  Ads, in a product I've already purchased?  That's a good way to drive customers away.  Maybe, *maybe* ads for people who haven't purchased sets.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 02:13:51 pm »
+1

No.  Ads, in a product I've already purchased?  That's a good way to drive customers away.  Maybe, *maybe* ads for people who haven't purchased sets.

You've purchased sets, but you're not paying for the data their servers have to send and receive every time you play Dominion there. Having ads helps mitigate the costs, and people really don't mind ads as much as they think they do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 02:15:51 pm »

I think it is totally reasonable for them to put ads in for free users, just like almost every other free game platform. For users that have paid for all or most of the content, it would be nice if they did not, but I can't say I'd be surprised if they still did.  I certainly hope they find a way to make money off of Dominion, because if they don't, we probably won't get very much development time.

It's clearly not used yet, and what it is intended for is anyone's guess, but here is a little peek into one of the Dominion DLLs.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 02:25:05 pm »
+1

I think it is totally reasonable for them to put ads in for free users, just like almost every other free game platform. For users that have paid for all or most of the content, it would be nice if they did not, but I can't say I'd be surprised if they still did.  I certainly hope they find a way to make money off of Dominion, because if they don't, we probably won't get very much development time.

It's clearly not used yet, and what it is intended for is anyone's guess, but here is a little peek into one of the Dominion DLLs.

That is probably just some Unity example... see the "Demo" in file name.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:26:13 pm by yed »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »

That is probably just some Unity example... see the "Demo" in file name.

Yeah, I guess that seems likely.  There isn't any actual implementation in there. I suspected it might be for mobile.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 05:06:02 pm »
+1

Quick question: are cross-platform Unity applications designed to run on all target devices using the same executable, but with different segments of the code running depending on the device?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 09:57:34 am »
+2

You've purchased sets, but you're not paying for the data their servers have to send and receive every time you play Dominion there. Having ads helps mitigate the costs, and people really don't mind ads as much as they think they do.

The sets should have been free, and the software should have been ads/subscribe to remove ads from the start. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

The sets should have been free, and the software should have been ads/subscribe to remove ads from the start.

That's true.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 07:01:33 am »

Quick question: are cross-platform Unity applications designed to run on all target devices using the same executable, but with different segments of the code running depending on the device?

You build different executables for different platforms. This is what it looks like --> http://docs.unity3d.com/uploads/Main/BuildSettings.png.

There is also platform-dependent compilation, meaning that the binaries (even the project-specific .NET DLLs) are most likely different between platforms.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.