Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guess who just found an amazing combo in Dominion?  (Read 4680 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Guess who just found an amazing combo in Dominion?
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »
+3

It was me. I found an amazing combo in Dominion. It involves Scout/Messenger. When you gain Messenger, it has the drawback of giving your opponent a halfway decent card. However, if both Scout and Messenger are on the board, you can give you opponent a Scout with the Messenger! Your opponent is probably racist toward Scout, and may forfeit outright from the shame of having a Scout in his deck. If he doesn't, he is still stuck with a Scout that hasn't unlocked it's true potential. I shared my knowledge on Scout a while back, so you will know how to use the Scout in your deck. He will be stuck with a Vagrant (at best) and you will be executing Scout/Great Hall with Nobles, or Scout/Crossroads with Hoard!
Good luck using this combo!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Guess who just found an amazing combo in Dominion?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:10:05 pm »

Better with Potion when your opponent already opened with one.  Or Chapel.  Or Moneylender.  Or really anything that you only ever want one copy of.

You never* want any copies of Scout.

*There are edge cases, but I will not list them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »

Better with Potion when your opponent already opened with one.  Or Chapel.  Or Moneylender.  Or really anything that you only ever want one copy of.

If you partially build your deck to let the Scout in, it will do work for you. It will be a Ruined a village for your opponent.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:03 am »
+3

Giving your opponent Chapel actually helps them out and hurts you. Now, you are more likely to have your Chapel miss the shuffle, since you are likely buying another card on $3. Sure, your opponent has an extra card, but that is an extra chapel which means that it is unlikely that both miss the shuffle. It is even possible that he will be able to play both chapels on turns 3 and 4 respectively.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:47:16 am »
+1

I can actually imagine Chapel/Messenger-Chapel as a legitimate opening depending on what your opponent does. Obviously if your opponent does the same, you're going to have three Chapels in your deck, which is definitely too much. But having two Chapels and a payload card is kinda like having two Stewards, and we all know that's a pretty good opener.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:19 am »

Hm.  Yeah when you put it that way, it seems good.  If your opponent's opening is Chapel/MessengerChapel, you're even.  If your opponent's opening is anythingelse/MessengerChapel, you're behind, he has the magic 2 chapels and you have 3, which is too many. 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I spent like 10 minutes counting out how the 3/4 mirror should work, though, and it seems like whoever pulls the trigger on Messenger/Chapel first opens themselves up to getting countered.  Player 2 can't get any effective use out of his "last word about the first reshuffle" because player 1 can wait it out with Chapel/Silver, which will beat Chapel/MessengerChapel.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:53 am »

Hm.  Yeah when you put it that way, it seems good.  If your opponent's opening is Chapel/MessengerChapel, you're even.  If your opponent's opening is anythingelse/MessengerChapel, you're behind, he has the magic 2 chapels and you have 3, which is too many. 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I spent like 10 minutes counting out how the 3/4 mirror should work, though, and it seems like whoever pulls the trigger on Messenger/Chapel first opens themselves up to getting countered.  Player 2 can't get any effective use out of his "last word about the first reshuffle" because player 1 can wait it out with Chapel/Silver, which will beat Chapel/MessengerChapel.

But if P1 opens Chapel/Silver, he shuffles after buying the Silver. Hence once P2 buys the Messenger, P1's deck is already reshuffled and the second Chapel misses the shuffle for P1, but not for P2.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 09:50:14 am »

Since P2 has twice as many Chapels that can miss the reshuffle, and the Chapels might collide, I think P1 is still coming out on type even if one his Chapels missed the reshuffle.  If P2 gets Chapel both turn 3 and turn 4, obviously that's really good, but it's not so likely that I think P2 is proud of overterminaling.

If the point is just haha gaining you stuff that missed your reshuffle, then P2 should just gain a Silver, since it doesn't have collision mechanics.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 01:04:11 pm »
+2

Scout/Apothecary?

Like, this actually seems legit and is something we haven't talked about on here (to my knowledge). Scout can help Apothecary decks keep from stalling in a way no other card in Dominion can.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 01:21:59 pm »

Scout/Apothecary?

Like, this actually seems legit and is something we haven't talked about on here (to my knowledge). Scout can help Apothecary decks keep from stalling in a way no other card in Dominion can.

I think we have talked about it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »

Scout/Apothecary?

I think we have talked about it.

Briefly, yes:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12757.msg473987#msg473987

Though I think the reality is "If nothing else is available, Scout/Apothecary is possibly better than Big Money.  Maybe."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 02:32:55 pm »

Well that video was the first time I've ever lost a game because I missed the potential of Scout. I do believe that's the last pre-Adventures Dominion card that I could say that about, and I didn't think it was possible. My mind was blown.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:53 pm »
+2

WanderingWinder beat me with Scout in a tournament.  It was humiliating.  I feel like everyone should experience it once.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.