Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why did I lose this game?  (Read 1362 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Why did I lose this game?
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:57:19 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/10/game-20120110-175244-1e0b3e9f.html

We had the same strategy, and I (playing as Fin Fang Foom) managed to hit 5 times with my Pirate Ship while my opponent only managed to hit 3 times.  Despite that, my opponent won by tying me on Provinces and getting more points with the Bishop.  Did I just get unlucky?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:09:41 pm by catsclaw »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Why did I lose this game?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »

Hmm. I don't know.

Over the course of the game, you played Bishop 7 times and your opponent played Bishop 11 times. That's basically the difference in points right there. Your opponent played Pirate Ship 27 times, you played Pirate Ship 21 times. Your opponent gained 2 treasures, 7 terminal actions, and 8 nonterminal actions, you were at 2, 5, 5, if I've counted right.

I'm not sure I see any difference in strategy between the two of you that would account for the difference. I guess I see a bunch of small things that went your opponent's way. His Talisman and Silver both got trashed later than yours. He had an earlier 5 for a lab, and had one lab more than you. He played Talisman more than you. You had that last turn where you didn't get a second Pirate Ship and so had to buy a Duchy instead of a Province to end the game.

The 5-vs-3 ships didn't make much of a difference. A 5 ship means you have to play two for a province, a 3 ship means he had to play 3 for a province, both happened pretty regularly. Except that one turn where you needed a second Ship for a province and didn't get it.

Yeah, I think I'll go with luck here, not much there between you two, IMO.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
Re: Why did I lose this game?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:21:01 pm »

I'd say that it wasn't necessary to get your pirate ships past 4, and buy a lab turn 13 instead of attacking the last time.

Without +buy, two pirate ships for 8 is the same as two for 10
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.