Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53  All

Author Topic: M70: Switch Mafia 2 (Game Over!)  (Read 136554 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: M70: Switch Mafia 2 (Day 1)
« Reply #250 on: October 16, 2015, 06:45:09 am »

I can't remember... Is wanting to lynch newbies a town tell or a scumtell? If I can't remember that probably means it is neither.

But really I think it was a tow tell cause mafia wouldn't want to risk the wrath of town being upset that you would want to lynch a newbie. I think robs came up with that and it turned out it was generally correct.

Robz wanted to lynch a newbie in M10, my first game.  We lynched him for it because we thought it was scummy.  I was town, so was he.

Since then, we've always given newbies a pass early in the game, and due to that, there's always been a "play up your newbieness" thing for newbie scum.

Ah, I'm not sure I agree. We often give newbie town passes because newbie town does some stuff that is really hard to fake as newbie scum (see: Roadrunner in thsi game). I think we manage to catch newbie scum fairly often. "Playing up newbieness"is often mentioned, but can you point me to a single game where that was a thing?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2015, 06:50:00 am »

I can't remember... Is wanting to lynch newbies a town tell or a scumtell? If I can't remember that probably means it is neither.

But really I think it was a tow tell cause mafia wouldn't want to risk the wrath of town being upset that you would want to lynch a newbie. I think robs came up with that and it turned out it was generally correct.

Robz wanted to lynch a newbie in M10, my first game.  We lynched him for it because we thought it was scummy.  I was town, so was he.

Since then, we've always given newbies a pass early in the game, and due to that, there's always been a "play up your newbieness" thing for newbie scum.
One could argue that I was 'playing up my noobiness,' but how was I supposed to know that scum does that?

Your partners would have told you to do it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2015, 06:51:06 am »

WW, can you explain what is so suspicious about faust's play? Seems fine to me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2015, 06:51:19 am »

Ah, I'm not sure I agree. We often give newbie town passes because newbie town does some stuff that is really hard to fake as newbie scum (see: Roadrunner in thsi game). I think we manage to catch newbie scum fairly often. "Playing up newbieness"is often mentioned, but can you point me to a single game where that was a thing?

I know I did it once, where I had a newish player and we had him play it up.  I don't know if it worked, but I rarely lose, so I'll assume it did.

I disagree with you on RR -- all of his "newbie" stuff feels incredibly fake to me.  It's just not possible for someone to be this unaware of how mafia works if they've played before, even if only IRL.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2015, 06:52:49 am »

One could argue that I was 'playing up my noobiness,' but how was I supposed to know that scum does that?

As fair of a point as that is, I am willing to make another claim:

I am a Vanilla Townie, aka Vanilla Villager, aka the guy who you should not lynch.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2015, 06:53:15 am »

This is the least Faust thing that this Faust has ever Fausted.
This.

same question to you: why?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2015, 06:54:31 am »

As fair of a point as that is, I am willing to make another claim:

I am a Vanilla Townie, aka Vanilla Villager, aka the guy who you should not lynch.

I think town who claimed VT got lynched 3 our of 4 times in f.ds history

the one time where he didn't get lynched was when I did it  :D

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2015, 06:55:02 am »

EBWOF: Claimed VT day 1

Though I'm not sure about this stat; it's something I recall people saying.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2015, 06:56:17 am »

Your case is quite different though, because you supposedly didn't know the dynamics of early claiming and why it's a super bold thing to do. You might not get lynched for it, but I still wouldn't advise doing it in future games.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2015, 06:58:20 am »

I think a vote: Hydrad is warranted until he does something that I remember.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2015, 06:59:39 am »

I know I did it once, where I had a newish player and we had him play it up.  I don't know if it worked, but I rarely lose, so I'll assume it did.

I disagree with you on RR -- all of his "newbie" stuff feels incredibly fake to me.  It's just not possible for someone to be this unaware of how mafia works if they've played before, even if only IRL.
Let me tell you a story. We played Mafia with a blonde, overweight, too-American Alaskan woman. This was in Turkey. The cop woke up on the night, pointed at someone, and went to sleep
 The pointing had no effect, it was purely symbolic. Many people cheated. I rarely played. The doctor picked someone to save after the Mafia killed someone. There were no switched, nor a SK. So that's my story, what's yours?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2015, 07:00:49 am »

Your case is quite different though, because you supposedly didn't know the dynamics of early claiming and why it's a super bold thing to do. You might not get lynched for it, but I still wouldn't advise doing it in future games.
But I'm learning the dynamics of the game, which I want to accomplish in this game of Mafia. That's why I joined.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2015, 07:01:49 am »

And the mod told me to 'ask any questions I had during the game,' and now I'm getting lynched for that?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2015, 07:07:33 am »

Your more experienced scum partner told you N0.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2015, 07:09:39 am »

Oops, missed the new page. A good thing my post was almost useful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2015, 07:12:40 am »

And the mod told me to 'ask any questions I had during the game,' and now I'm getting lynched for that?

asking your questions ≠ claiming VT

the careful course would have been to ask "is claiming a good idea?" upon which everyone would have told you "no" and you would not have claimed

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2015, 07:15:35 am »

Oops, missed the new page. A good thing my post was almost useful.

Isn't that a bad thing as it goes against your meta?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2015, 07:16:56 am »

How often have you played IRL? Because that's totally possible, as I can clearly see from various occasions of playing IRL mafia.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2015, 07:29:57 am »

How often have you played IRL? Because that's totally possible, as I can clearly see from various occasions of playing IRL mafia.

I have never played IRL.  My very first experience with mafia/ww/etc. was M10 on this site.  You can go see what a true complete newb looks like.  This ain't it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2015, 07:30:30 am »

Let me tell you a story. We played Mafia with a blonde, overweight, too-American Alaskan woman. This was in Turkey. The cop woke up on the night, pointed at someone, and went to sleep
 The pointing had no effect, it was purely symbolic. Many people cheated. I rarely played. The doctor picked someone to save after the Mafia killed someone. There were no switched, nor a SK. So that's my story, what's yours?

I don't understand your story.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2015, 07:30:52 am »

I have never played IRL.  My very first experience with mafia/ww/etc. was M10 on this site.  You can go see what a true complete newb looks like.  This ain't it.
Yes, because all newbs act exactly the same.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2015, 07:31:39 am »

The opposite, actually.  All newbs act differently.  I'm just pointing out the gold standard for worst possible performance by a newb (mine) and comparing yours.  If anyone has a worse first game than mine, it's clearly faked.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2015, 07:31:42 am »

I don't understand your story.
The point was, what I went through is equivilant to never playing Mafia IRL or on a forum.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2015, 07:32:24 am »

The opposite, actually.  All newbs act differently.  I'm just pointing out the gold standard for worst possible performance by a newb (mine) and comparing yours.  If anyone has a worse first game than mine, it's clearly faked.
I am doing badly? How? I only have one or two votes against me!

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2015, 07:33:52 am »

Why does it matter if one of the players was overweight?  What does "too-American" mean?

Performance in a game is not measured by votes or even surviving.

You are doing "badly" because you are making many, many mistakes.  But to me, they are on purpose.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.