Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Game Reports  (Read 22998 times)

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Game Reports
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

If you want to write a report about a match, or reference some videos, please feel free do so in this thread.
Join the Dominion League!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Game Reports
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:39:36 am »
+1

So, we realized that now was the only time pst and I could play the match the whole week, so we did that.  Anyway, I beat him 4-0.

First game

I go for Squire/Gardens while pst goes for I'm not sure what.  Not much else special.

Second game

This game, I go for a Torturer engine initially thinking of going for Vineyards.  As time goes on, I realize that, especially with no +Buy, it probably wouldn't work too well and I just went for Provinces.  Pst does go for Vineyards, but my Torturers slowed his trashing down a lot, and with no +buy, I ended up winning.

Third game

This one was mostly a BM+Witch mirror.  I got lucky and got a Witch with a 5/2 start.  I didn't think of Apprentice until after the Curses were out.  Pst starts going for some extra Fairgrounds (which I get a few of later because I realized later that I had 10 uniques).  Both of us ran into some hard green choking, and the game ended on Curses, Duchies, and Estates.

Fourth game

I still don't know how I won this one.  Okay, I have an idea, but it's still crazy.  We both go for a Goons engine.  Even though I got one turn 3, he roared ahead of me.  Then, with the last few turns, I managed to pull ahead and win by one point.

Pst, when you see this, it would be cool to see what you thought of these games!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:44:34 am »

So, we realized that now was the only time pst and I could play the match the whole week, so we did that.  Anyway, I beat him 4-0.

Timezone problem, but was up really early to watch the moon, so why not.
[/url]

First game

I go for Squire/Gardens while pst goes for I'm not sure what.  Not much else special.

I don't know either. :-)

Fourth game

I still don't know how I won this one.  Okay, I have an idea, but it's still crazy.  We both go for a Goons engine.  Even though I got one turn 3, he roared ahead of me.  Then, with the last few turns, I managed to pull ahead and win by one point.

Pst, when you see this, it would be cool to see what you thought of these games!

With Farming Village, or Band of Misfits as it, as the only Village in a Goons game I was worried when you started depleting FV to make my BoMs worse, so I had to get some more real FVs. But then after we were out of FVs I somehow forgot about that once when discarding and kept BoM BoM BoM instead of BoM BoM FV once. That was so bad!

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:23:15 pm »
+1

mafiascum 4-1 bramroop

All base set...

Game 1: mafiascum 45-37 bramroop - Bureaucrat/BM vs. Workshop/Gardens, basically. I was just fast enough.
Game 2: bramroop 28-43 mafiascum - Festival/Library mirror; I started greening a turn sooner, with Cellar being the big difference in support.
Game 3: bramroop 19-32 mafiascum - Chapel/Militia beats Chapel/Bureaucrat here. I won the Lab split 7-3, and also picked up Remodel for endgame control.
Game 4: bramroop 33-22 mafiascum - Chapel/Militia mirror which didn't go so well for me. After 13 turns I still have 2 Coppers and he has Silvers in their place; I flounder trying to rush green and he cruises.
Game 5: mafiascum 44-21 bramroop - He buys Workshop on a Witch board; Curse split was 8-2.

Thanks for the games!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 01:15:23 pm »
+1

Want to write a bit about my match against Qvist, since it had some fun kingdoms in my opinion. Feedback is appreciated. If you don't want to get his video upload spoiled you should probably stop reading here :)

Game1
A lot of terminals and without Villages. KC saw no play, we both played Jack and Goons only. Not sure if that was correct or whether we should have built more. I lost this one.

Game2
I try a double tactician strategy with Poor House and Necrobles, which worked fine for 1 or 2 turns, but it might have been too slow. Qvist missed Stonemason into Nobles which led me to getting enough of them to pull of a turn. Not sure if money was better, but I had fun playing engine.

Game3
I was so lost in this one. Golem was the key card here, which I completely ignored due to fear of not hitting 4P. Qvist did, and beat me pretty badly. I was not doing anything in particularly, I just lost.

Game4
This one I should have resigned at turn 5. Any idea about the opening? Maybe Wharf or Potion might have been better? Thanks Qvist for ending the game as early as possible here.

Game5
This one was fun. Black Market handed me a Count, which was a superstar for me. I disagree with him skipping Procession, it was the most important card on the board in my opinion. My 3-pile looks quite fancy, but unfortunately it was unecessary (I think) since I didn't account for the Copper gain by Count.

Game6
I'd really like some advice on the greening phase on this board. I feared him getting multiple provinces each turn (via salvager) so I skipped them altogether.  thought it was decent with Duke around. It was evident that Qvist didn't build quite enough, especially another salvager would have been great.

Game7
Our final match was quite explosive. I disagree with him going Silver over Great Hall and again skipping Procession. My draws were quite great and I was able to three pile quite easily (feast op). Glad I was able to comeback after my bad start into this match.

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:38:02 pm »

Game1
A lot of terminals and without Villages. KC saw no play, we both played Jack and Goons only. Not sure if that was correct or whether we should have built more. I lost this one.

Super interesting board. You can do it with no problem against silly bot, when KC and Goons are uncontested. But against competitive player, who just goes Jack into Goons.. hmm. I would really want to play it with someone.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:10:30 pm »

I don't think the King's Court deck can happen.  There's no way to draw without also gaining Silver.  You would have to buy a Forge to Forge away your silvers to try to get the King's Court deck to be consistent, but the big money player has access to Loan so he is getting the kind of trashing he wants also with way less pain and effort. 

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:23:44 pm »

Nothing says the engine player can't also pick up Loan early on. It's tricky but I don't think it's impossible for KC to win. You do pick up a Forge to Forge Silvers in the middle of going off, since that both decreases your handsize and gets junk out of your deck. 2 Silver -> Goons or Silver + Jack -> KC is no joke. The tricky part is that you need to be very liberally in trashing actions to Forge to keep going, which is going to drive piles very low very fast. The buildup is also really rough.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:26:14 pm »

I tried it several times and Forge seems really bad. If you have a hand of yellow in the mid game - just Mint it away.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 04:36:22 pm »

Want to write a bit about my match against Qvist, since it had some fun kingdoms in my opinion. Feedback is appreciated. If you don't want to get his video upload spoiled you should probably stop reading here :)

Game1

Game2
I try a double tactician strategy with Poor House and Necrobles, which worked fine for 1 or 2 turns, but it might have been too slow. Qvist missed Stonemason into Nobles which led me to getting enough of them to pull of a turn. Not sure if money was better, but I had fun playing engine.

Here better start of engine would be coppersmith/silver, then gain tactican and use stonemason overpays to multiple pieces on coppersmith/tactican turn then transit to poor-house one.

Game3
I was so lost in this one. Golem was the key card here, which I completely ignored due to fear of not hitting 4P. Qvist did, and beat me pretty badly. I was not doing anything in particularly, I just lost.
I would here more say that he was lucky hitting 4p first time which looked unprobable due curses and being millitiad. Here I would instead either play a duchy-duke slog and add more millitias or council-room millitia engine, again add millitias. Tournament looks bit weak here.

Game4
This one I should have resigned at turn 5. Any idea about the opening? Maybe Wharf or Potion might have been better? Thanks Qvist for ending the game as early as possible here.
I would resign at turn 3 as trashing coppers with mint is huge. I would open wharf, after that i am not sure about potion as you could continue with farming villages and wharf engine with single sillver and ambassador, trashing coppers for mint when you collect them.
Game5
This one was fun. Black Market handed me a Count, which was a superstar for me. I disagree with him skipping Procession, it was the most important card on the board in my opinion. My 3-pile looks quite fancy, but unfortunately it was unecessary (I think) since I didn't account for the Copper gain by Count.

Game6
I'd really like some advice on the greening phase on this board. I feared him getting multiple provinces each turn (via salvager) so I skipped them altogether.  thought it was decent with Duke around. It was evident that Qvist didn't build quite enough, especially another salvager would have been great.

Here duke looks bad, a province strategy with salvager/fortress that quickly ends game by salvaging provinces should win before you get dukes.

Game7
Our final match was quite explosive. I disagree with him going Silver over Great Hall and again skipping Procession. My draws were quite great and I was able to three pile quite easily (feast op). Glad I was able to comeback after my bad start into this match.

This should be goons game where you use upgrade to trash and apprentice for draw. quist helped by getting seven cities instead building that engine. He had still five coppers at end of game.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:40:27 am »

Game 1 - Sims can show that jack+goons is marginally better than double jack
Game 3 - Here you need to go for the risky golem engine or beeline gold then provinces. A halfway deck won't work.
Game 6 - Bite the bullet here and go straight for the big engine. Start with more trashing and follow it up with more draw.
Game 7 - This was pretty good but I feel there could be more trashing, perhaps from a third upgrade on turn 7. Those upgrades can be processed into goons.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:37:41 pm »
+1

Had a couple of interesting games against Eevee, especially the first two.

Game 1

I call it "Graverobber's Paradise". I aimed at thinning quickly and then playing a moneyless deck with Graverobber/Altar to get Provinces and Bureaucrat used to get Altar fuel. I think I could have executed it a bit better, I felt I was lacking villages and draw. Eevee went for a more money-based approach and opened Bureaucrat. I think that was a mistake.

It's neat that Mining Village can turn Graverobber into a terminal Silver that topdecks a Village if needed.

Game 2

This game was amazing. Such a lot going on. The weirdness is demontrated by this:

Code: [Select]
faust - plays Swindler
Eevee - reveals Watchtower
Eevee - trashes Watchtower
Eevee - gains Swindler
Eevee - applied Watchtower to trash Swindler
Eevee - trashes Swindler

Swindler was a pretty bad card here. I still think Eevee was wrong to open with it, even though he won. I realized too late that Armory/Watchtower lets you gain a Fortress in hand (Eevee pulled that trick off first). That's pretty awesome. I also didn't thin quickly enough and would probably have needed a second Altar.

Game 3

I'm not sure what went wrong here. I still believe my opening was a bit better. Maybe my first $5 should have been Stables over Butcher? What do you guys think of this?

Game 4

Getting to play Mercenary on turn 4 is pretty nice, and I think this is what led to me winning this game. Also Eevee had very bad luck never reaching $4. I quickly had a large lead and Eevee resigned.

Game 5

After 4 engine games, it's BM time now. This game actually went very differently to what I thought at the beginning. Originally I believed Journeyman/Masterpiece would be the central pieces for the BM strategy, but I ended up playing Venture/Mint. That early $5 for Mint was very lucky for me.

Game 6

In this last game, I think Eevee just made the wrong call. I considered double Tactician, but decided it was too weak. Squire and Golem as Villages are meh. I might have given it a shot if there at least were attacks on the board. But the way it looked, there were no hopes of beating Stables/Horse Traders/BM.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »
+1

Game 3, I like your turn 1 & 2 opening better than Eevee's, but I like Eevee's turn 1-4 "opening" better than yours because you bought Warehouse.  Warehouse seems like an awful buy there.  What are you trying to discard?  The Estates you want to pass left? The Estates you want to Butcher? The coppers you'll be feeding Stables later?  It seemed like the most questionable of the game's first 8 purchases to me.  Later when there was a potential draw that caused a GM purchase to be possible or Tournament lined up with Province to be possible it would make sense to pick one up, but you picked one up when you still needed economy in an environment where the idea of a "junk card" is pretty eroded.

(I'm seeded way lower than both you guys though)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:13:20 pm by popsofctown »

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 05:07:36 pm »
+2

mafiascum 4-3 markusin

Game 1: mafiascum 0-8 markusin - Chapel into Conspirator/Grand Market. Our decks weren't too dissimilar after turn 12 despite my Chapel missing the first shuffle; I had an extra Gold and Shanty Town vs. his 2 Pawns. My deck stalled anyway turn 13 and he bought all the Estates to win.

Game 2: markusin 31-39 mafiascum - Trading Post/nothing for both of us here. I think I had the better luck with early Caravans vs. his Silver/Jester, but I never got the +Buy to take advantage of big turns (Bank). Anyway, we danced around the last two Provinces for a bit, before I took the PP and sweated out getting hit by Jester for a Curse.

Game 3: markusin 7-r mafiascum - I have a weak spot for University. It's terrible here. Cultist hits me with all 10 Ruins and I resign.

Game 4: markusin 18-30 mafiascum - This one was fascinating. We opened Urchin/Ambassador, and he had a small advantage early which I was sure would snowball. He had a thinner deck, and starts to set up Stash/Scavenger, but I'm able to get $8 for Prince and then Prince my Mercenary, which leaves him stuck on $6 often. After that, I'm able to buy Provinces 5 out of 6 turns, and just in time because I'm down to a Scavenger and 3 Gold to trash.

Game 5: mafiascum 2-r markusin - Quarry/Steward openings aiming for KC/Possession. We diverge on the first shuffle, as he trashes with Steward and I just take the coins and go ahead and buy KC. Cartographers helped tremendously, and I was able to hit Possession first (mucking up his deck a bit by pull out all the actions and leaving some dead cards in his draw pile), and it snowballs from there.

Game 6: mafiascum 28-49 markusin - Spice Merchant into Grand Market. He went a little heavier on actions (Scheme, Sage) eyeing Vineyards, while I grabbed more money early. I did win the GM split, but he transitioned to Vineyards before I could (thanks to Remodel). I still had a chance on my last turn (needing something like $16+2P and 6 buys?), but didn't get there.

Game 7: markusin r-(-2) mafiascum - He got first player advantage, but got an unwanted 5/2 split - Young Witch/Sage (with Sage as the Bane) was too strong. I split the Curses 8-2.

Thanks for the games, markusin!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 06:08:36 pm »
+1

Game 5 I didn't think you'd be able to trash with Merc every turn even when Princed. Oops.

Good games.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 02:32:29 am »
+1

Courtyard, Loan, Village, Bridge, Procession, Counting House, Inn, Mine, Outpost, Harem
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20151003/log.516d4577e4b082c74d7b716e.1443910560179.txt

Colonies/Platina

Interesting game here IMO because I saw 2 distinct routes to victory: (1) Courtyard/Mine into BM, while Loan-ing away your Coppers, and Mine-ing a few good treasures, and (2) build a fancy engine, thinning with Loan, eventually playing a megaturn of a bunch of Processed Bridges.  I love boards like this -- that present 2 or 3 largely mutually exclusive paths to victory. And they're especially fun when opponents each choose a different one of the paths, so that you can see which one comes out on top (at least for 1 instance).

Anyways.. I spent like 5 minutes trying to decide which one to take during my first turn (I actually almost timed-out, haha).  My opponent and I both had 5/2.  I went Loan/CY going for strategy (2), while (s)he went MIne/CY so appearing to go for the simpler strategy (2).

I lost.  But not by that much IMO.  My 2 main takeaways:
  • Playing Village+CY only increases your hand size by a net of 1.  So merely playing Villages for actions and CYs for cards, even if they're both Processed along the way, isn't all that good of engine support. In hindsight, I wish I had something like Smithy instead of CY in this game, or something.
  • In order for my strategy to pull off, I would need to Process Bridges -- not Villages and Courtyards.  However, that was tough, because for the reasons listed above, I couldn't actually draw as many said terminals as I had expected, unless I Processed my Villages and Courtyards.
So ya, that was the difference maker IMO -- not being able to Process my Bridges as much as I had hoped.  I still wonder what the 'optimal' route to victory was -- strategy (1) or (2).  Nonetheless, I love these kinds of boards :).  GG and WP Micha1980.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 07:16:41 am »
+1

You're better off without Procession. In the non-mirror you can get enough Villages for all your needs, the action cards you want are going to be (almost) free anyway, and piles will run alot slower without the constant trashing of one card into another. Just playing with one Loan, Villages, Courtyards, Bridges and Platina should win.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 09:26:31 am »
+1

The lack of hand size is the problem here as the estates will clog up the deck and you do need to play a lot of bridges for the final finish. This makes trashing out all the coppers even more important but instead of buying the second loan you can put coppers on top of your deck with your last courtyard to make sure it gets trashed. I also noticed that you bought an early province when you should remain committed to building for big turns instead (or switch to platinum if the engine is broken) .

I do think there is a role for procession here but you should be using it mainly as a throne room. Villages and courtyards are key cards in this kingdom, you'd like to be playing with nearly all of them, so you don't want them all trashed. In the final couple of turns you can add more processions to help hit that big finish with 7 plays of bridges. In an engine mirror I would expect procession to give an extra edge in pile control.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:49:47 am by DG »

jpgerber

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 08:54:35 am »
+1

Video is here

Game 1 – Vineyards and Stonemason

Vineyard, Squire, Stonemason, Fishing Village, Island, Remake, Catacombs, Mandarin, Mystic, Harem
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20151001/log.5101a312e4b0a35e483e0772.1443745072266.txt

Probably a lack of pile control and better use of remake by mpsprs.

Game 2 IGG rush

Vineyard, Squire, Stonemason, Fishing Village, Island, Remake, Catacombs, Mandarin, Mystic, Harem
log

I’m not sure what I could have done against Turn 3 & 4 IGGs but I’m open to suggestions. I was hoping Vault might help me get past curses but maybe I needed a second one?

Game 3 Hunting Party - Mercenary

Chancellor, Urchin, Warehouse, Ironworks, Remake, City, Duke, Hunting Party, Saboteur, Peddler
I tried to ride out an early Mercenary lead by sticking to one mercenary for longevity and going for Hunting Parties. It seemed to work but I’m not sure if that was just luck.

log

Game 4 – Monster possession engine

Lighthouse, Fortune Teller, Alchemist, Salvager, Spice Merchant, City, Laboratory, Witch, Border Village, Possession
I seemed to get to the possessions quicker. Looking back, I definitely should have bought the Possession on the possession turn 17.

log

Game 5 Golem vs Rabble

University, Fortune Teller, Feodum, Pirate Ship, Golem, Counterfeit, Laboratory, Rabble, Stables, Adventurer
University into Rabble/Golem. How early should we have gone for Stables? And would Stables have been stronger?

log

Game 6 Rats combo

Beggar, Market Square, Storeroom, Familiar, Cutpurse, Nomad Camp, Rats, Throne Room, Butcher, Outpost
My problem here is that I think I panicked once Rats/Butcher picked up steam. Should I have gone for straight Butcher instead? Or was it already too late?

log

Game 7 Eyes on the prize(s)

Chapel, Embargo, Baron, Farming Village, JackOfAllTrades, Salvager, Throne Room, Tournament, Library, Hoard
I’m not sure of the best strategy here, I feel I certainly had two lucky turns near the end to get some helpful prizes and close it out.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:20 pm »

Some quick thoughts.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20151005/log.50606173a2e66a82a6ae22bd.1444065183362.txt

Both got 5/2. Got some nice shuffles to get $6 early, which led into $9 early. Picking up my 2nd Monument that early is greedy, but I make the call that my deck will be okay because of Necropolis, and it works out. Mostly agree with GwinnR, except for the Inn buy.

I think there is a good argument for the semi-engine, using Contraband to pick up components and Monument for payload. I didn't trust myself enough to go for it, but I would believe it could win.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20151005/log.50606173a2e66a82a6ae22bd.1444065828494.txt

This was just shuffle luck, not very interesting.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20151005/log.50606173a2e66a82a6ae22bd.1444067234674.txt

Very, very tense Chapel/Wharf game. Some bad Chapel turns for me, but it worked out. To me, the pivotal turns here are turn 9 + turn 11. On turn 9, GwinnR doesn't need to play the 2nd Wharf, and shouldn't. By playing it, he/she can't set up the 1 duration Wharf per turn. The 2nd Wharf duration wasn't needed for draw on turn 10 either. The end effect is that GwinnR fails to draw his deck on turn 11 because of no Wharf duration. That baits him into buying Gold/Oracle on turn 11 instead of Gold/Silver or $5/$4, and Oracle is a bad buy. (With Wharf GwinnR has enough draw already, and buying any +Cards that isn't Wharf without very good reason is wasteful.)

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20151005/log.50606173a2e66a82a6ae22bd.1444068177681.txt

Remake/Fortress/City is pretty good. Remake/Fortress/City/Minion is a deliciously broken pot of gravy.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

assemble_me

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 04:10:14 pm »
+1

My round 2 match vs Singletee

Video link: http://www.twitch.tv/assemble_me/v/19426412

Game 1: Kingdom | Log | starts at 0:00
We both go for Oracle/Potion into Familiars, some Stables, Peddlers and Merchant Guilds. Winning the Curse split is quite good. The chat thought I should have greened a lot sooner.

Game 2: Kingdom | Log | starts at 15:45
Rogue, Knights, Herald and Stonemason in this one. He's got 4/4 on the second shuffle with Dame Anna on top which I can take... guess the game was almost decided at that point. The chat wanted me to play with more Rogues.

Game 3: Kingdom | Log | starts 29:45
We both open Rebuild on 5/2 on this board with Rogue and Tunnel, although you could maybe build an engine as well. Also, we both have some nice early shuffles, he's skipping Rogue entirely. The chat said I should have bought Tunnels and also I got Rogue way too late in their opinion.

Game 4: Kingdom | Log | starts at 38:30
Minion Stack with Apprentice and Jester is what we both want to go for. I don't hit 5$ often enough and fall far behind, so I try to switch strategies for a Philstone/Masterpiece thing. I don't know if fighting for engine components while being that far behind would have been better.

Game 5: Kingdom | Log |  starts at 47:30
Huge engine board with Uni, Wharf, Upgrade and all sort of stuff. Draws go well for me and I can win the Wharf split while I'm also thinner due to an early extra Upgrade. The chat thought I wouldn't have needed that Province when I wanted to make sure he's got no chance to pile out on me.

Game 6: Kingdom | Log | starts at 1:00:45
All the durations (except those for 5$). I'm feeling good with my early Bishops while he's getting a huge amount of money. I kind of abandon the plan to play a lot of Bishops as I think I need some Provinces as well while our decks suddenly fall apart. The chat said I got my Bishops too early. I don't like my extra Upgrades in the endgame here.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:24:57 pm by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 05:19:52 pm »

Trying this Game Reports thing out for this tournament. Due to time zone issues, the first six of these games were played in the 6:30-8 AM range, on about five hours' sleep. I play in the morning sometimes, but never this early, and when I do I'm even more prone to mistakes than I normally am. Some of these games have just really bad moves.

Video(s): Game 1 & Part of 2 Rest of 2 - Most of 6

Game 1: Chris is me 10 - Lucapkennedy 6

Secret Chamber, Squire, Familiar, Apprentice, Graverobber, Minion, Outpost, Saboteur, Grand Market, Nobles
 I open 5/2 and decide on Minion / Squire. Doing this over Potion / Squire means I can't get a second shuffle Familiar, which risks me losing the Curse split. Opening Potion / Squire is far from a guarantee that I'll hit 3P, though. Ultimately, I figured that Minion would speed up my cycling while possibly forcing the opponent to miss a Familiar buy / play, offsetting the disadvantage.

I didn't manage to get a Familiar until T8, when my opponent already had two, yet somehow I won the Curse split 6-4. I attribute this to picking up a third Familiar with 5 Curses left and prioritizing cycling in turns 9-14 in order to create more Familiar opportunities. After a huge T17 and a decent T18, I had two Provinces and fewer Curses, so I ended the game by buying out Squire and Minion.

I gained several Silver with Squire - perhaps too many. Initially I figured that I could Apprentice them later on, but Apprentice ended up playing a fairly minimal role in my deck. I just didn't have the opportunities with it I expected, or maybe I just didn't see them. Trashing Squire into Familiar or Minion jumped out at me - damn, maybe Apprentice / Squire would have been a better opening just for that.

Game 2: Lucapkennedy 14 - Chris is me 17

Oasis, Tunnel, Advisor, Gardens, Herald, Horse Traders, Scavenger, Spy, Bazaar, Journeyman
This was just poor play on my part. 5/2 start in this kingdom kind of sucks, but Journeyman / nothing is okay. Tunnel / Horse Traders was the obvious open here that could have led to a pretty solid Journeyman BM strategy where you basically always name Tunnel. Seeing as I was too tired to pull off the possible yet difficult engine (Herald, Bazaar, Journeyman, HT is a pretty solid group of cards even without trashing), I should have gone BM. Some nonsense Oasis buys in there and general poor play sealed the deal.

Game 3: Chris is me 19 - Lucapkennedy 2

Vagrant, Scrying Pool, Menagerie, Oasis, Island, Procession, Sea Hag, Worker's Village, Vault, Venture
I open Hag / Oasis due to the likelihood of lots of junk and the greater chance of getting Hag on the first shuffle thanks to Oasis draw. He opens Hag / Silver - I think this was a mistake here. On T3 I have $4 and Hovel, easy Island pickup there. Procession seemed quite useful - I could use Vagrants as Villages and pick up Oasises or Menageries, plus I could eventually turn Sea Hag into Vault or something. Ultimately my investment in Menagerie gets my deck off the ground faster than his, and he resigns as I'm about to end the game on piles.

I played this game better, capitalizing on good luck and better gains to pull off the win. I could have ended the game a lot sooner than I did, but I was really paranoid about setting up a 3 pile when he could, in my mind, come from behind in one turn. He couldn't. Didn't need Colony 2.

Game 4: Lucapkennedy 33 - Chris is me 32

Native Village, Squire, Masterpiece, Menagerie, Scheme, Plaza, Smithy, Rebuild, Bank, Expand
Rebuild board. I open Plaza / Silver, he opens Smithy / Silver. Smithy / Silver was far better. I manage to stay afloat thanks to a misclick on his part. I managed to get all of the Estates out of my Rebuild deck before the Duchy pile ran out, which is huge in a Colony Rebuild game. I had the win, but blew it by naming the wrong card on the final turn of the game, resulting in a 1 point loss instead of a guaranteed win. I don't think I really deserved the win here anyway. I really need to step up my Rebuild mirror game, the card freaks me out.

If I were more awake and more brave, I think the engine here might actually be able to pull off some big Colony turns fairly quickly. I'm imagining a few Banks as payload, with Squire for buy, Plaza and Smithy to get it going, Expand to pick up components, and Scheme to ensure you get a few solid turns in a row at the end. I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to make that work, though.

Game 5: Chris is me 28 - Lucapkennedy 10

Candlestick Maker, Hamlet, Ambassador, Oasis, Bureaucrat, Counterfeit, Mandarin, Merchant Ship, Trading Post, Goons

Everything you need for a Goons engine, except draw. I opened Counterfeit / Hamlet; he opened Ambassador / CSM. If this wasn't a shelter game, he could have opened double Ambassador and buried me. We both pick up Trading Posts for reasons not entirely clear to me. Better buys, especially a Merchant Ship pickup, result in me having 3 Goons to his 1 Goons, and the rest is pretty much inevitable from there. I'm able to end things before he can get something going that picks up Colonies.

Game 6: Chris is me resigned

Courtyard, Chancellor, Shanty Town, Bishop, Plaza, Scout, Young Witch, Catacombs, Mystic, Venture, Peddler
Why did I buy Shanty Town? I had no focus in this game, and I neglected Bishop as well as allowing him to get a better engine off the ground more quickly. Too little too late for me to catch up here. Realizing a Game 7 was inevitable, and since we both had to go, I resigned and prepared for Game 7 a few days later.

Game 7 (not streamed): Chris is me 37 - Lucapkennedy 25

Hamlet, Alchemist, Ironmonger, Plaza, Library, Rogue, Tactician, Upgrade, Harem, Nobles
We both open Potion / Silver to go for the Alchemist deck. On the first shuffle, only I hit $3P, so that's a huge advantage off the bat. He picks up Tactician early, which I'm not really a fan of on this board, where you have ample draw and good trashing with Upgrade. His neglect of Upgrade (buying Library instead... twice...) ultimately is his downfall, as my Estates do a lot of work as Silvers and I'm eventually able to thin all those Copper out of there. Plus Upgrading Upgrade into Nobles is a sweet trick.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:24:09 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »
+1

I just lost to Stef (8)) but before that, I played against Tufftaeh, which I recorded (poorly).

Game 1 and 5 I played horribly, the other ones I think I played decently. I could elaborate a bit more, but you could also just watch them and give comments ;) (and I'm feeling lazy, so definitely going for option B).
Here are the links:
Game 1, Game 2, Game 3, Game 4, Game 5, Game 6 and Game 7.

About game 7, why did my opponent skip Mountebank? I really don't get that.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 05:41:37 pm »
+3

Game 4: Lucapkennedy 33 - Chris is me 32

Native Village, Squire, Masterpiece, Menagerie, Scheme, Plaza, Smithy, Rebuild, Bank, Expand
Rebuild board. I open Plaza / Silver, he opens Smithy / Silver. Smithy / Silver was far better. I manage to stay afloat thanks to a misclick on his part. I managed to get all of the Estates out of my Rebuild deck before the Duchy pile ran out, which is huge in a Colony Rebuild game. I had the win, but blew it by naming the wrong card on the final turn of the game, resulting in a 1 point loss instead of a guaranteed win. I don't think I really deserved the win here anyway. I really need to step up my Rebuild mirror game, the card freaks me out.

If I were more awake and more brave, I think the engine here might actually be able to pull off some big Colony turns fairly quickly. I'm imagining a few Banks as payload, with Squire for buy, Plaza and Smithy to get it going, Expand to pick up components, and Scheme to ensure you get a few solid turns in a row at the end. I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to make that work, though.

On Province boards it would be close between Rebuild and engine here, but on the Colony board it is the engine should win at least 95% of the time. Plaza and Scheme make Menagerie really good here as well.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.