Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Official Dominion Tournament at U-Con, Nov. 21 2015, Ypsilanti, MI, 2pm - 10pm  (Read 73344 times)

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
+2

ghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ONE weekend later and I could be there.
One weekend later would be Thanksgiving, and we'd lose half of our attendees because they'd have family obligations.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile

Is the tournament full?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile

Is the tournament full?

No, but preregistration has closed, so if you want to get in, you'll have to register at the door.  We're unlikely to fill up, though (Previous years have had 15-20 players, and I have room for 27), so please, come and play!  If you want to be absolutely certain, come to the con on Friday and buy your tournament ticket then.  And then hang out and play games with all the cool people until the wee hours of the morning.  :-)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:59:43 pm by Elestan »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Is the tournament full?

No, but preregistration has closed, so if you want to get in, you'll have to register at the door.  We're unlikely to fill up, though (Previous years have had 15-20 players, and I have room for 27), so please, come and play!  If you want to be absolutely certain, come to the con on Friday and buy your tournament ticket then.  And then hang out and play games with all the cool people until the wee hours of the morning.  :-)
You might want to check, I think it said 27 people preregistered. Or maybe it said there was room for 27. The latter seems more likely.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile

You might want to check, I think it said 27 people preregistered. Or maybe it said there was room for 27. The latter seems more likely.

It's the latter, trust me.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
+6

Whew, hopefully I will be registering at the door too!

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile

Awesome...can we expect EFHW as well?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile

Liopoil will be there?! I thought you said you couldn't make it. Or maybe I thought it was because of your forum break...

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile

I got word today that Adam is getting in late Friday night and as a local, thought I would take over Friday night. 

If any F.DS people are interested in meeting up/hanging out send me a PM.  The ideas I had range from hosting a game night at my house or heading out to a local tap house for drinks/socializing.

I'll have more details closer to the event.  :)

EDIT:  No longer true, had other plans come up friday night.

I just got word that an out of town friend is going to be around that night.  So I will no longer be free for hosting a mini F.DS meetup.  I will still see all of your bright shining faces at U-Con the next day though.  :)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

nana-king

• Swindler
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
+6

Just found out about this so my husband and I are hoping to register day of.  What are the tournament rules/structure?

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
+1

Just found out about this so my husband and I are hoping to register day of.  What are the tournament rules/structure?

Everyone plays four preliminary games, then the nine players with the best records go on to the semifinals to play three more rounds, then the top three play the final game.  Games are three-player, with 1-2 four-player if the player count requires it.  All kingdoms are pre-designed.  Each game starts with a five-minute planning period, during which players may stack their initial decks as they desire.

Right now I don't expect to sell out completely, but if you want to play it safe, I would show up and buy your tournament tickets on Friday.  I hope to see you there!

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
+3

A couple of pre-tournament notifications/requests:

First, I want to give a heads-up that the forecast is predicting the first serious snow of the season on Saturday, so everyone leave plenty early, and drive safely!

Also, a request for all of the f.ds players:  I had a couple of last year's local players comment that some of the f.ds-ers came off as a bit condescending or cliquish.  I'm not going to try to enforce any kind of social code, but let's just all try to make sure to demonstrate our best sports(wo)manship, and maybe try to keep the f.ds lingo and in-jokes in check around people who won't understand them.

Thanks to everyone who's coming, and I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile

If anyone has a car and is willing to pick me up from the Ann Arbor Amtrak at 1 PM (about 20 minutes from the con), I will buy you a very nice lunch or dinner.

Otherwise, I'll be arriving via taxi and spending about the cost of two nice dinners.  :)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
+2

If anyone has a car and is willing to pick me up from the Ann Arbor Amtrak at 1 PM (about 20 minutes from the con), I will buy you a very nice lunch or dinner.

Otherwise, I'll be arriving via taxi and spending about the cost of two nice dinners.  :)

Done. PM me an address.

EDIT: I will have to leave Adam's advanced strategy workshop a half hour early or w/e so hopefully that is OK with Adam.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:44:29 pm by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile

If anyone is going to be around tonight, send me a PM and we can try to meet up. Otherwise, I'm just going to go to the con and what's up.  Excited for tomorrow!

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
+2

Awesome...can we expect EFHW as well?
Yes!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile

Good luck everyone!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+10

I won this. <3
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
+3

I won this. <3

Congrats!

I sincerely hope shark_bait wasn't second again.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
+1

I won this. <3
This means I was the only one who beat Adam, but unfortunately it was in the first round :(. I lost to him on the Doctor board in the semifinals, and it was bad.

I really wish I had won that Watchtower board. I also probably would have won that last semifinal round and been in a 5-way tie for the third spot in the finals if I had ignored cultist (how often do you say that??), but super props to roadrunner, that was well played. That board (yes, the one with 6 attacks) was probably my favorite one. The Watchtower board was great because of Watchtower but for my deck at least there were just too many decisions-per-turn for me in an IRL tournament. And then the third semifinal board with Doctor, well let's just not talk about it.

I want to play that counting house/peasant/king's court and other lame cards board from the qualifying rounds again. Oh, and I'd like to try the 5-player tiebreaker board too! What was the finals board?

Thanks Elestan, it was a lot of fun!

EDIT: For others, here were a few of the kingdoms that I remember:

Qualifying Set 4: King's Court, Counting House, Remodel, Scout, Chancellor, Woodcutter, Peasant, Secret Chamber, ???, ???, Inheritance, Seaway

Semifinal Set A: Vineyards, Scrying Pool, Ambassador, Familiar, Procession, Trader, Pirate Ship, Cultist, Pillage, ???, Scouting Party, Save, Colony/Platinum

Semifinal Set B: Lookout, Smugglers, Watchtower, Spy, Bridge Troll, Tribute, Ghost Ship, Hunting Grounds, Prince, ???, Mission, Borrow, Shelters

Semifinal Set C: Doctor, Develop, Market Square, Oracle, Bridge, Band of Misfits, Distant Lands, Nobles, Prince, ???, Pilgrimage, Lost Arts, Colony/Platinum

Tiebreaker Board: Chapel, Stonemason, Market Square, Ironworks, Gardens, Jester, Council Room, Border Village, ???, ???, Ball, ???
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:47:27 am by liopoil »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile

Tiebreaker Board: Chapel, Stonemason, Market Square, Ironworks, Gardens, Jester, Council Room, Border Village, ???, ???, Ball, ???

Two of the missing cards are Talisman and Travelling fair. Turns out that Talisman/gardens/travelling fair is a synergy to that gets you a lot of copper really fast. That was arguably a better gardens enabler than the simple tried and true "Jester in a five player game."
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
+1

The last missing card is Bridge.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
+3

I came in second.

The only kingdom that I feel inclined to talk about is the one with: Vineyards, Scrying Pool, Ambassador, Familiar, Procession, Pirate Ship, Silk Road, Trader, Cultist and Pillage, with Save and Scouting Party as events.

The Ambassador was was a big deal. Both my opponents get Traders and saved them every turn with Save. I missed that combo until someone jokingly pointed it out. So I had gotten a ton of Estates, Coppers and Curses. I even got a few ruins! Liopoli got some Cultists for a Cultist deck, my other opponent (Jodan?) got Pirate Ships. I got Scrying Pools. Everyone (including me) thought the game was over, then I noticed Vineyards! With my Ruined Market and my Processions on Ruins, I managed to draw my deck many times, and thin all my Curses and most of my coppers. I got 11 Vineyards and an Estate. It was 45 points, which tied Liopoli. We both got four tournament points, which was enough to advance me.

I think I got super lucky, but I guess there was a little bit of skill involved.

Good games everyone!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
+2

I won this. <3

Congrats!

I sincerely hope shark_bait wasn't second again.

After going 4 for 4 in the prelim games I got stomped in the semifinals.  I was about 3 turns shy of winning my first semifinal game but got 3 piled before I could start greening with Colonies.  Adam played a nice counter to a traditional slog type game.  But I underestimated how long it would take to get a clean deck in a 3-player ambassador game.  Adam was immune to the slog with Save/Trader but with both myself and Iguana Iguana having a wet noodle Ambassador war, by the time I got clean the Silver pile was almost empy, Curses ran from Familiar and the Scrying Pools were done. 

In this game if two people go Trader/Save, the Scrying Pool player wins every time if played optimally.  Without another player doing Ambassador they can get their deck cleaned at least 10 turns faster.  The engine is so strong with Scrying Pool/Procession/Pirate Ship with Colonies and Vineyards for potential endgame payload.  There was even a nifty counter to Save/Trader counter via Pillage to discard their saved Trader.  But I think it's really cool to see a 3-player game wherein the optimal strategy goes to the person who does something different.  Definitely was not in my favor to be the 1st player here.

Then in the 2nd and 3rd semifinal games a combination of bad luck and bad play in response to the bad luck put me out of it.  I also just mentally gave up midway through the 2nd semifinal.  After starting to play dominion at 11:00 in the morning playing those games at around 9:00 to 10:00 at night was exhausting. 

The defining moment of my bad luck came in my last semifinal game.  It was a Doctor/Market Square with Pathfinding and Lost Arts with Bridge for endgame payload.  The first time I have Doctor and Market Square in hand I name Copper and reveal Estate and 2xMarket Square, ergo, no Gold.  Not getting that Gold seriously put me behind in where I needed (and was planning) on being.  Then later when I'm a bit behind from earlier I have 3xMarket Square and Doctor in hand.  With 4 cards left in my draw pile I jokingly say that my Copper will be the last card in deck.  Lo and behold I play Doctor, name Copper, and yup, it's on the bottom. 

Overall though, it was a fun tournament.  I enjoyed playing with the adventures cards for the first time.  Maybe I'll get the set in the next month or two so that I can play it with my wife.  :)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
+4

The tournament was a blast.  Thanks to everyone who helped organize it.  I'll definitely be back next year!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.