Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Official Dominion Tournament at U-Con, Nov. 21 2015, Ypsilanti, MI, 2pm - 10pm  (Read 73323 times)

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
+7

Here we go again!  Join us for the largest in-person gathering of F.DS players in the world!  Compete against all the handles you've gotten to know here, using real cards!

This tournament is sanctioned by Rio Grande, and will be a qualifier for the World Masters, if there is one in 2016.  Top finishers get free games courtesy of Warriors 3 Comics and Games, and all players receive the new "Summon" promotional card!

The competition will feature custom-designed kingdoms drawn from all of the Dominion sets and expansions, and will emphasize strategy and high-level play. 

Tournament seating is limited, so pre-register for the event here; just click on the 'Add' button and proceed through the checkout process.  You'll need a tournament ticket ($10), and a convention badge ($20 for Saturday, or $25 for the whole convention).

As previously posted on this board, our own AdamH will also be running Dominion tutorials, and will be joined for the advanced session by our reigning world champion, A Drowned Kernel!  The defending tournament champion is Robz888, but shark_bait is sure to be hungry for victory after close second-place finishes in both of the last two years!

If you can, I'd encourage everyone to pick out other games to play in and attend the whole convention, which runs from Nov 20-22, all day (and late into the night Friday and Saturday).  For out of town visitors, discounted hotel rooms are available for only $89/night.

And, if anyone would like to get their convention badge for free, you can register to run events until early October, or volunteer some time to help out.

I hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:44:02 pm by Elestan »

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile

Is anyone else from f.ds going who would be interested in sharing a hotel room Saturday night? I haven't bought tickets yet as I'm trying to figure out if my travel plans/budget could handle this.

I now have my lodging confirmed. Hope to see many of you there!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:55:44 am by Voltaire »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

1. Do you know yet if you'll have any copies of Summon to hand out?

2. Voltaire, I already have arrangements to share my hotel room with the IRL friends I'm bringing with me, but you may consider asking AHoppy? I've recently pestered him about going to this and he might be staying there?

I really, really, really want to win this year. My body is ready.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile

I unfortunately will not be there to defend my crown--I've moved to Washington, DC, and won't be back in Michigan until Christmas time. Good luck, all!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile

I'll miss you guys now that U-Con is no longer in driving distance.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
+1

There is little chance that I won't be there. Hope to see many of you there!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+6

Saw this tournament for weeks on the forum, always sad that I lived in Connecticut and would never get to go to something like this. Well, I was just put on a work assignment where I'll be moving out to Michigan for two months, so apparently I'll be here. Sweet. Looking forward to it!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
+1

The promo materials from RGG just arrived, and yes, we will be handing out the new "Summon" promo.  If you haven't registered yet, sign up now to reserve yours!

Sorry you won't be there, RobZ, and you too Kirian!  But Adam, if you want to steal the crown, you're going to have to go through shark_bait.

Good luck to all!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:45:56 pm by Elestan »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
+4

Well, I seem to have a pretty good track record of getting 2nd place by prematurely ending the championship game on my turn while unknowingly behind in points due to poor counting.  With that in mind, I think Adam might want me in the championship game with him  ;)

But then again, I have yet to play with a single Adventures card and have not been playing nearly as much Dominion since starting my new job, so I definitely need to bone up if I want to even make it to the championship.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
+7

Okay, convention badge/ticket bought, let's do this.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+4

Finally got around to signing up.  I'll be around for the tournament and maybe during the morning too.  If any F.DS people are around I would probably be up for some board gaming in general before things get started for the tourney in the afternoon.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
+2

If any F.DS people are around I would probably be up for some board gaming in general before things get started for the tourney in the afternoon.

You could sign up for Adam and ADK's advanced strategy session from 11a-1p.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:14:37 am by Elestan »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+2

Hmmm, that sounds doable.  Should be a fun day!  :)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
+4

Well, I signed up for the tournament and Adam's advanced strategy thing. I guess I couldn't withstand his enthusiasm any longer.

Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile

Saw this tournament for weeks on the forum, always sad that I lived in Connecticut and would never get to go to something like this. Well, I was just put on a work assignment where I'll be moving out to Michigan for two months, so apparently I'll be here. Sweet. Looking forward to it!

See, my first though was "wait, but UConn is in Connecticut..."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile

That is always my first thought.  And my second thought is "Terrific!  I live fairly close to UConn."  And then my third thought is "Wait, this doesn't work nearly as well as I thought."

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile

That is always my first thought.  And my second thought is "Terrific!  I live fairly close to UConn."  And then my third thought is "Wait, this doesn't work nearly as well as I thought."

I had the same thought as well at first. If only there *was* an official Dominion championship at UConn. Or anywhere in New England at all. (How would one go about setting one up, anyway?)

Unfortunately I've learned that I won't be put on the work assignment that would bring me to Michigan after all. So I'll have to miss this event :(
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
+1

I'll also be in Adam's advanced strategy session, and probably up for playing other games before then for anyone interested.  Also excited to hear we're getting a brand new promo.  That's pretty sweet!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Are any F.DS people interested in meeting up for dinner Friday night and/or lunch Sunday at a place near the hotel? If you are, PM me and I'll give you my contact info. We'll find something that works for everyone.

I'm going to dinner Friday night (I think there's a pizza place nearby that's supposed to be good?) with the IRL friends I'm carpooling up there with, F.DS people are welcome to join.

As for Sunday, there are no actual plans other than the session I'm hosting that morning about the tournament sets. We do have to make a long drive afterward but we'll probably want lunch before we leave.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
+1

For those that haven't been there before, the convention also runs a food stand in the hotel, the proceeds from which go to the convention.  A previous year's menu can be found here.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
+1

Videos or it didn't happen.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+2

I got word today that Adam is getting in late Friday night and as a local, thought I would take over Friday night. 

If any F.DS people are interested in meeting up/hanging out send me a PM.  The ideas I had range from hosting a game night at my house or heading out to a local tap house for drinks/socializing.

I'll have more details closer to the event.  :)

EDIT:  No longer true, had other plans come up friday night.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:32:10 am by shark_bait »

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile

The ideas I had range from hosting a game night at my house...
Note that the convention is in full swing Friday night...why host a game night, when you've got a whole convention center full of people running and playing games?

Check out the Friday game schedule!

EDIT:  Just noticed I'd linked the schedule admin page, which needs a login.  Now fixed to point to the public schedule.  For those arriving late, there's a mixer scheduled in the hotel bar at 11pm!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:54:31 am by Elestan »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

So this weekend keeps on changing for me -- ish. I still won't be there until late Friday night.

But due to some changed plans for one of my friends who I was planning on driving down there with, she will now be arriving at the Detroit airport about 4PM on Friday (and the rest of us won't be arriving until later that night, like 11PM).

She's up for hanging out with people Friday night, but mostly would want a ride from the airport to the hotel at some point if that's not too much trouble (followed by hanging out if desired). If anyone can do all or part of this, PM me and I can give you her contact info.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile

ghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ONE weekend later and I could be there.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.