Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Convolucid's Cards (Equality)  (Read 2767 times)

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Convolucid's Cards (Equality)
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »
+4

Here are three of my fan cards that my IRL group has deemed good enough to play with regularly. I hope FDS likes 'em too! The working title of the "expansion" is Equality- I haven't worried too much about keeping a theme, but it's a bit present.

Rulebook
  • You must choose which card to discard before looking through your discard pile.
  • The card you put into your hand can be the one you just discarded. If your discard pile did not contain a different card with the correct cost, this will be your only option.

I haven't printed this one out yet, but we've played it enough to say it works. As a $2, I like that it's simple, often weak, and occasionally awesome. Sometimes you draw it right at the start of the shuffle and it's just a copper. Other times you draw it with a bunch of terminals, and get to swap something out for a village! Of course it also excels in games with lots of junk or weak trashers.

Rulebook
  • If you trash the card from your deck, you must also trash a card from your hand if you can. If your hand is empty, just trash the card from your deck.
  • If you choose to keep the card from your deck, it goes into your hand, as well as a Copper which comes from the Supply. If there are no Coppers left, just put the card from your deck in your hand.
  • If your discard pile and deck are empty when you play this, there is no card to look at and so you cannot trash it. You try and fail to put the card in your hand, but still gain a Copper that goes to your hand.

Trashers with +Action are pretty uncommon, but the unreliability of the deck reveal offsets the increased reliability of +Action (see Lookout).

+Card +$1 +Action is the "bad" option, the copper makes it worse than plain Peddler. This plays differently than IGG, taking you on a roller coaster of junking / trashing which gets goofier with each Bathhouse you buy. It's loads of fun, and the "bad" option is never bad enough to avoid playing the card. But the card is way stronger if you pay attention to your deck.

IMO my best card, Bathhouse is well-loved by our irl group :D

Rulebook
  • You can name any card, even one that is not in the Supply.
  • All copies of the named card are discarded. If you name Copper and your opponent has a hand containing 5 Coppers, they must discard all 5.
  • After everyone has discarded the named card, you draw until you have 5 cards in your hand, while your opponents draw until they have 4 cards in hand.
  • Each player draws cards to reach the specified hand size regardless of how they got their current hand size. For example, if one opponent has less cards due to Torturer, they will draw back up to 4 cards even if they didn’t discard anything because of Demagogue.

At one point in my card-brainstorming process, I landed on the idea of incorporating Go Fish into some cards. I tried a lot of variations and the discard attack is the only one that survived. It's powerful and flexible, but situational and skill-intensive.

The post-attack draw to X keeps the attack from being brutal, especially in repeated play. The self-discard often dissuades you from just naming the best card on the table. These conditions allowed me to avoid awkward requirements on which card you can name. Of course, if you're clever you can nail an opponent's linchpin card, which feels awesome.

Discarding from yourself also creates some interesting, less pugilistic options. Sometimes the best move is to name Estate, even if it might help your opponents. It would be fun to play this card with Tunnel; we haven't forced that playtest yet (all random all the time 8)).

Looking forward to your comments and (gentle) criticism :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:38:57 pm by convolucid »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Convolucid's Cards (Equality)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:07:43 pm »

Handmaden is a strictly stronger (much stronger) version of Peddler, which is considered to be a balanced card if it didn't cost the fancy . So it should probably cost ; even then it might be strong than the other Peddlers (Market, Bazaar, Treasury, Highway).

Also, the wording is a awkward... "remember it's cost" isn't really something you can instruct a person to  It shouldn't be needed anyway; Wishing Well doesn't tell you to "remember" the name of the card you named; and Remodel doesn't tell you to remember the cost of the card you trashed.

*EDIT* Oops; I somehow forgot that you have to also play Handmaiden, not that Handmaiden will be the card you discard. So your handsize decreases by 1. In this case, it's much more like Oasis, not Peddler. It seems like it would usually be stronger than Oasis though; basically instead of +1 card, discard a card; it's discard a card, get a card back from your discard. To replace a Duchy with a will just be really huge.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:11:36 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:21:36 pm »

Demagogue is a cool idea. It doesn't look very strong as-is; almost like it would be balanced if it were non-terminal. It could be too political though. If one opponent went for Witches, and another went for Goons, you would have to choose which opponent to hurt.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

convolucid

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:24 pm »

I've struggled a lot with the wording for Handmaiden ("same cost as the discarded card"?). The Oasis comparison is interesting- I'd definitely say it's weaker though. In our experience you don't exchange anything ~50% of the times you play a Handmaiden. It's not very reliable, which makes it tough to stuff your deck with them. Duchy exchange sounds really awesome but we haven't seen it happen much; it would be interesting to see if the card is too strong in situations where a Duchy rush is viable.

I think Demagogue ranks just below the middle for fives (they can't all be the best card, heh). I don't think I can give it +Action. Demagogue has to force hand-reveal so that you avoid honor rules. So, if you play a second Demagogue, it's a Pillage that you don't even have to trash, and also might draw you cards! Obviously this can still happen in an engine, but I have to at least make you work for it.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »

I would just look at how Swindler is worded. It also cares about same cost cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:26:26 pm »

Demagogue is a cool idea. It doesn't look very strong as-is; almost like it would be balanced if it were non-terminal. It could be too political though. If one opponent went for Witches, and another went for Goons, you would have to choose which opponent to hurt.

It's also dangerous in multiples, because hands get revealed and then you'll have a good idea what to name the second time (and can be more political/targeted at that point as well).

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:54:05 am »

I like them as they seem balanced and the best way to employ them is not obvious to me which is in my opinion often a feature of a good card.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 11:03:19 am »
+1

Geez, GendoIkari crying OP over, literally, Copper.

convolucid

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »

I edited Handmaiden's text. In retrospect, it's pretty obvious what "same cost" the card is talking about; it's the cost of the discarded card, there's no other possibility. Thanks for the help, folks!

The political nature of Demagogue is... a thing, sure. I'm mostly ok with it.If there's two power strategies on the board with Demagogue, yeah, you have to choose which one to target. But the third player can already affect that balance in lots of ways. For example, say one of the power 5s is Minion, the player that doesn't go for Minions has a big advantage compared to a similar situation with only two players. I don't feel like Demagogue skews this too much further.

Unless you're just trying to be an ass, but then it's no worse than Taxman, Swindler, Pillage... there's a comfortable precedent here for me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 20 queries.