Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession + tokens  (Read 6396 times)

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Possession + tokens
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:37:37 am »

Am I reading the rules correctly, that if you are possessing another player's turn, you can use Teacher or an Event to muck around with the token placement for that player? I guess, if you have nothing better to do, buy Pathfinding and move your opponent's +1 card token from Lab to Chapel, hah-hah.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Possession + tokens
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:40:02 am »
+7

Am I reading the rules correctly, that if you are possessing another player's turn, you can use Teacher or an Event to muck around with the token placement for that player? I guess, if you have nothing better to do, buy Pathfinding and move your opponent's +1 card token from Lab to Chapel, hah-hah.

Totally.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »

Completely valid, completely evil. To recap, Possession does a few things:

• The player to your left takes an extra turn, as soon as the current turn ends (barring other additional turns sneaking in).
  • During that extra turn, you see their hand and make all game-related decisions, including but not limited to what cards to play, what to buy, what card to pass with Masquerade, whether to spend any coin tokens, etc.
  • Any cards that player would gain during that turn, you gain instead.
  • Any cards that player trashes during that turn, instead get set aside and returned to their discard pile at the end of that turn.

So you can do many fun things, including returning all their good cards to the supply with Ambassador, trashing their entire deck so that they draw an empty hand, spending all their coin tokens, Princing a Rats, or anything else that they were silly enough to leave lying around on a Possession board. And buying Events to move their tokens around to useless cards is absolutely an option.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:02:39 pm »

Of course, depending on how many Possessions you're playing each turn, you may not want to sabotage their deck. You may be getting more use out of it than them.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:41:51 pm »
+1

Any cards that player trashes during that turn, instead get set aside and returned to their discard pile at the end of that turn.

Fixed that. The cards are trashed.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:02:37 pm »
+1

Princing a Rats
If someone did that to me, I'd probably kill myself.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:09:27 pm »

Of course, depending on how many Possessions you're playing each turn, you may not want to sabotage their deck. You may be getting more use out of it than them.

Yeah. It's funny you can KC a Possession to play your opponent's hand three times in a row, but there's nothing you can KC to let yourself play more than one turn in a row with your deck (Outpost aside, although that doesn't work as well).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:58:43 am »

Princing a Rats

Force-Princing would only work on one turn, though, because if you "forget" to set the Rats aside at the end of your turn, it's not Princed anymore. Although, the Prince is still set aside, so they still made you waste a good card.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 10:29:10 am »
+5

Princing a Rats

Force-Princing would only work on one turn, though, because if you "forget" to set the Rats aside at the end of your turn, it's not Princed anymore. Although, the Prince is still set aside, so they still made you waste a good card.

I didn't think you were allowed to do that, only if you're unable to set it aside does that happen. Lots of things don't work if you cheat to avoid them.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
+2

Princing a Rats

I didn't think you were allowed to do that, only if you're unable to set it aside does that happen. Lots of things don't work if you cheat to avoid them.

Yeah... you can't just "forget" to do something that is a rule in Dominion.  It isn't like missing a trigger in MTG where you are just out of luck if you forget it. If the rules say to do it, you either do it, or you are cheating (accidental or not).

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:12:03 pm »

Yeah, by that logic, you could "forget" to trash a card with Rats and "forget" to gain a new Rats, in which case the Princed Rats would actually benefit you.  Heck, you could even do things like play Horse Traders and "forget" to discard two cards.  Everything on a Dominion card is mandatory unless the card expressly specifies otherwise (e.g. by saying "you may"), and there's no rules distinction between "costs" and "benefits."

IIRC, the only way to remove Rats from Prince is through either Scheme (which can top-deck it before Prince is able to set it aside) and Bonfire (which can trash it) (there may be other methods, but if so, I can't think of them offhand).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »

The rulebook for Puerto Rico includes a provision for what to do if you forget to repopulate th colony ship at the end of the mayor phase. It says just to use the number of players and not try to count the number of empty building spaces. It's a weird and annoying rule; some people have used it to argue that you are allowed to "forget" to populate the ship so that you can have less colonists put on it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 03:33:22 pm »

Princing a Rats

I'm sure your opponent would remind you, anyway. But in Dominion Online, I would totally down a bunch of bleach if that happened. It would be the ultimate rage quit.

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:35:33 pm »

There's no "rule" for forgetting to leave Duration card out, right? Any cases where this would benefit you? (maybe something do to with it not missing a shuffle, despite missing the 2nd turn benefit of the Duration card)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 03:36:50 pm »

There's no "rule" for forgetting to leave Duration card out, right? Any cases where this would benefit you? (maybe something do to with it not missing a shuffle, despite missing the 2nd turn benefit of the Duration card)
No, you have to leave them out.

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 03:38:23 pm »

I mean, what to do if you forget. (playing with physical cards here, I'm sure it's happened to all of us at least once)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:31 pm »

I mean, what to do if you forget. (playing with physical cards here, I'm sure it's happened to all of us at least once)
If you realize it and your opponent is nice, you dig through your discard pile and put it out. If you don't realize it or your opponent is very competitive, you lose the duration effect.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:56:15 pm »
+2

If you realize it and your opponent is nice, you dig through your discard pile and put it out. If you don't realize it or your opponent is very competitive, you lose the duration effect.

I'm very competitive and I make my opponents dig through their draw piles for Durations they forgot last shuffle if I have to.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »

I'm very competitive and I make my opponents dig through their draw piles for Durations they forgot last shuffle if I have to.
That's another thing you can do.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 04:04:50 pm »

I don't see this... no matter how strict or competitive you're playing, there's no reason to think that making a person lose the duration effect would be allowed. The strictest thing to do would be having them dig through their discard pile to retrieve it. If they've already reshuffled, then it becomes trickier. That's not just what a nice or casual player would do.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 04:07:13 pm »

I don't see this... no matter how strict or competitive you're playing, there's no reason to think that making a person lose the duration effect would be allowed. The strictest thing to do would be having them dig through their discard pile to retrieve it. If they've already reshuffled, then it becomes trickier. That's not just what a nice or casual player would do.
Awaclus pointed that out in his own special way. But if they forget and remember in the middle of their next turn, there is nothing either one of you can do about it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.