Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 1074 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
What would you have done?
« on: September 22, 2015, 12:16:51 am »

Code: [Select]
Lighthouse, Lookout, Wishing Well, Conspirator, Feodum, JackOfAllTrades, Remake, Minion, Royal Seal, Bank
Log
Stream highlight

Let me preface this by saying that I wouldn't have had a chance in this game if I hadn't been streaming. It took Adam's and singletee's advice and the high pressure of not making the wrong move with people watching to lead me to the right strategies and choices.

When Pinguin and I both decided on the same strategy, it looked like a clear "win the Minion split, win the game". Through some combination of bad calls and bad luck, I ended up on the losing end of the split and quite a bit more clogged. BUT I managed to compensate with Conspirators and matched him (him?) on Provinces until the inevitable Penultimate Province Showdown.

It was then that I noticed my hidden ace: Conspirators could be Remade into Duchies for a last-minute tiebreaker, and I would have a much easier time lining them up than my opponent would. Turns were in my favor as well. The only thing that wasn't was deck reliability.

And so began the string of tough choices. He bought a Duchy turn 14, and so when I managed to draw my Remake with two Conspirators and a Copper (and $5 from previous actions), I had to take a long time to decide how many Duchies to get and whether or not I should break PPR. This gave me the upper hand in terms of second player advantage, but my deck was still less reliable and I took a leap of faith on turn 15 when I got the penultimate Province, holding my breath that this wouldn't be The One Turn (TM) he'd line up the Remake/Conspirator combo.

Buuuut then he timed out. I didn't see any reconnect messages so either he left the computer or he deliberated too long. I was happy that I got the rating points, but I didn't get to see what move he would have made. His hand was Duchy/Province/Minion/Minion/Wishing Well and mine was Duchy/Minion/Wishing Well/Province/Conspirator and we both had one Lighthouse in play each so anything was possible.

So this thread is to open it up and ask what you guys think. Would you have done anything differently in turns 14 and 15 for either person? What would you have done with his hand on turn 16? And what would you have done on my turn 16 if I got to play it?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:48:24 am »
+1

The funny thing on this board is that you don't need many minions; two or three is enough.
Both players will remake their estates into wishing wells, and likely buy lighthouses in economically weak turns. That being said, minions are unlikely to attack, while conspirators will mostly activate. In other words, in this particular game, conspirators are close to minions in value.
To make it work, trash ASAP. I opened Remake - Lookout in this game:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150922/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1442989947705.txt

and I got my fourth province in T11. That's not totally representative, as I only had one dead move, and my opponent was a bot and didn't attack me. OTOH, add two turns for lighthouses, and it's still a good performance.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.