Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Better quality sleeves for Dominion?  (Read 6874 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Better quality sleeves for Dominion?
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:00:30 am »

I ended up buying a few thousand of the Euro sized black Mayday card sleeves that everyone recommends. After using them for a few months, I've concluded that they're... okay, but lacking in quality. The cut is not a consistent length or quality, leading to some cards being shorter than others, and the finish on the bottom cut line varies in quality (straight va burred). Many of them came with creases through the middle that made them useless, as the crease would indicate which card it was.

After a few months using these sleeves, the tops of them have also wrinkled a lot, which is disappointing. More used cards are distinguishable from less used cards - which was the whole point of buying the sleeves in the first place!

Does anyone know of other, higher quality Euro card sleeves? I'll pay more for them, no problem, I just hope there are some solid quality sleeves for Euro size cards like there are for MTG size cards. An opaque back of any color is also preferred.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
Re: Better quality sleeves for Dominion?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:03:53 pm »

My Dominion sets are sleeved with Mayday standard Euro sleeves (not the black ones), but I did get a single pack of Fantasy Flight's Euro sleeves just to try them out. They're thicker than the Mayday standards. I think they're great, but ultimately a bit too expensive for me right now.

I don't know how how Fantasy Flight's compare to Mayday's premium Euro sleeves. I do like Mayday's premium sleeves in other sizes, but from what I've read, Fantasy Flight is probably more consistent in sizing across many packs.

This GeekList on BGG lists a bunch of sleeving options for a ton of games.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:05:30 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Cinephile

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:58:28 pm »
+2

I use FF's Euro sleeves, which michaeljb mentioned. They're very consistent size-wise and they seem durable too – no replacements needed yet after a year or so of frequent play.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 04:42:17 pm »

An opaque back of any color is also preferred.

Unfortunately I think the black Mayday sleeves are the only opaque 59x92 sleeves I've come across.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:19:48 pm »
+4

I use FFG's (purple). Sturdy, durable, I've only ever had a single pack be miscut, and that's counting everything I've ever sleeved with them, not just Dominion. I've had 2 sleeves break over years of play, even with my sets being used in tournament settings!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 01:59:31 pm »

Unfortunately, between differing amounts of wear on the backs of some of my cards, and many of my Adventures card backs being very miscolored, opaque black sleeves are really my only choice (other than printing out 3,000 identical inserts to cover the backs of the cards in clear sleeves - which might not be the worst idea).

I may pick up the FFGs and see if I can consistently cut card stock to the perfect size to fill the back. I'd really prefer thicker sleeves to the black ones I have now.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:12:24 am »

I also use FF. The sleeves are of high quality, but sadly they are not opaque. And, yes, the Adventures back thing sucks, but assuming that players are being fair with their shuffles, I think you just have to do your best to ignore the different colored backs. That's what I do.

Now, I do want to run a tournament sometime, so for something with prizes at stake, the back coloring issues might be a deal.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 04:43:01 pm »
+1

There's a kickstarter up for euro card sleeves with rounded corners, and they are actually using Dominion cards in their preview images:

Might be of interest to some.

Disclaimer: I haven't done much research into the company to determine how trustworthy they are, nor into the product to determine if quality is up to snuff.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 05:15:05 pm »

These seem very promising. I might consider backing, but sadly, you either have to get 12 packs for $40 or 192 packs for $550 which equals 11,920 sleeves...a lot more than what Dominion needs.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:28:53 pm »

These seem very promising. I might consider backing, but sadly, you either have to get 12 packs for $40 or 192 packs for $550 which equals 11,920 sleeves...a lot more than what Dominion needs.

They have an add-ons section, but it's not laid out clearly at all.  If you are interested, you could send them a message to confirm what options there are.  I'd expect them to allow you to pick up a more appropriate number.

craftEcowgirl

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »

Just bought Dominion 2nd edition and Seaside.  Does anyone make solid back sleeves that fit?  I love Legion sleeves etc.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.