Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Coincidences  (Read 1781 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Coincidences
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:54 am »
+1

I was having fun looking at auto-generated Computer Science papers, and then re-discovered the "Chicken Chicken Chicken: Chicken Chicken" paper, and then discovered the person who wrote the paper also runs isotropic.

Just recently, someone, also completely unrelated to f.ds, pointed out "http://rinkworks.com/namegen/fnames.cgi?d=1&f=0" as being a high quality name-generator (which it is), and I recognized the beginning address immediately.

I just think it's cool how small the world is here.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidences
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:54:50 am »
+1

I've only heard of the Chicken paper because it was posted here a long time ago, in regards to talking about DougZ.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:58:12 am »
+1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:06 am »
+1

But I do have 3 separate "small world" stories from the past week!

1. When looking for work, I applied at a tiny company; 10 people total. Got an offer, but a company that small can't afford to pay what I wanted. So I found another job at a 400 person company. Just found out that my new boss used to work for that 10 person company!

2. I went to a board game night at a local game store a couple days ago. Ended up learning Castles of Burgundy from a random guy and playing with him and his friends. Later found out that I had met this guy before, at bgg.con. We'd even exchanged emails because we had a mutual friend of a friend of a friend; and we were both people from Raleigh going to bgg.con. Neither of us remembered the other.

3. Yesterday I was commenting on a friend's Facebook post, and some other guy commented too. This other guy has 2 mutual friends with me...  the guy whose post it was (whom I only know through the internet), and another guy that I went to college with!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 10:03:25 am »

and i was reading an article on slate.com (about the kid being prosecuted for kissing a girl on a dare) where they referenced another article with a contrary opinion. i followed the link and it was written by robz!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:21 am »

Thanks for the link! That's a killer name generator.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:11 am »
+3

Thanks for the link! That's a killer name generator.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it for killers who want cool sounding names.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:30:37 am »

There's some guy who got on this forum asking for some tips about Dominion, I played a couple games with him on isotropic with skype and shared some thoughts even though I'm just an intermediate player.  I did get a chance to point quite a few intermediate Dominion concepts that all you guys would probably agree with that he hadn't picked up quite yet.

He's actually really prolific and really good at online turnbased games (maybe live ones too, not sure).  Keep seeing his name at the top of leaderboards for games like Scrolls and Prismata.  I saw him post in a reddit thread about a tournament where he was casting for Melee or League or Hearthstone, I don't even remember which game it was, I've coincidenced into his name so many times that I can't manage to, guy's everywhere. (Edit: guy is BrTarolg, for the record)

Not all coincidences should be remarked upon, though.  Some totally random guy at a Smash tournament asked if I knew "Drew" [name altered], which was my ex's sister.  Guess I used my tournament tag the one time I played for fun when we were all over at her place?  I wouldn't have minded for him to just miss the connection there.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:10:30 pm »

I was having fun looking at auto-generated Computer Science papers, and then re-discovered the "Chicken Chicken Chicken: Chicken Chicken" paper, and then discovered the person who wrote the paper also runs isotropic.

Just recently, someone, also completely unrelated to f.ds, pointed out "http://rinkworks.com/namegen/fnames.cgi?d=1&f=0" as being a high quality name-generator (which it is), and I recognized the beginning address immediately.

I just think it's cool how small the world is here.

Hah, at Worldcon an author  (Ann Leckie) said she used Rinkworks's name generator.  Alas, I don't think he frequents here any longer.

and i was reading an article on slate.com (about the kid being prosecuted for kissing a girl on a dare) where they referenced another article with a contrary opinion. i followed the link and it was written by robz!

Yes, Robz is known for his contrary opinions.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.