Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Multiple streaming threads: a solution?  (Read 1783 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Multiple streaming threads: a solution?
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:55 am »
+4

It's been a while since I've gotten any feedback on the live stream threads. It seems to me that there's been a little bit of confusion recently, so it's probably time to look at the current setup we have and figure out what is the best solution we have to let people know when Dominion live streams are happening. The current solution we have is the following:

1. The generic live streams thread
2. A thread for each season of the League (or whatever tournament play is going on)
3. The Twitch page for Dominion Online
4. People can follow whatever individual channels they want on Twitch and be notified that way.

Here are some issues with the current solution:

- Some people don't know which thread to post in if they're going to stream: do you post in the League thread if you're going to stream a league match? The generic stream thread? Both? People aren't doing a consistent thing here, but what is the correct "consistent thing"? Is there something that's clearly best to do here?

- If you're subscribed to both the League streaming thread and the generic streaming thread, you can get duplicate announcements for the same stream, or possibly get an announcement of a stream that isn't starting right now. Maybe some people don't want that or would like to have those separated.

- The F.DS threads are really only effective for people who have signed up for the forums and know how to use them in a way that suits them (which may not be possible). They don't help to expand the overall audience for Dominion streams.

- The Twitch page for Dominion Online can be followed, but if you don't have your stream set up nicely for it you won't be seen on that page. Also, it's pretty bad at capturing past broadcasts and highlights, so if nobody is currently streaming (which is usually the case) then it's unhelpful.

- Twitch notifications for channels you're following are pretty spotty, many times you don't get your E-mail/text/whatever until several hours after you should.

- It would be ideal if someone could just start streaming and all notifications were sent out automatically, instead of having to remember to post in one or more threads when you go live.

I've gone and investigated lots of outside solutions: a Twitch Team page would be really nice but I think that's off the table -- nobody here comes even remotely close to the minimum requirements to become a Twitch partner which is required to have a Team page, I sent them a message asking if there was something they could do for us as a community and of course I got no response. It seems that a lot of the issues we have can't easily be resolved by any means external to F.DS in a really graceful way.

I have not tried live streaming on YouTube since the fancy new thing came out about a week ago. I might give it a shot, but is the interface there any better? If they offer better things than Twitch for following Dominion players (doesn't seem difficult to do) then maybe just trying to move over to YouTube for most of our content would be a good thing to do. I wonder how many people would only watch or stream things on Twitch...

If there are things I've overlooked, please, suggestions are welcome. But so far nothing I've looked into is better than what we currently have, with the exception of the F.DS threads.

So I guess the purpose of this thread is to figure out what we should do about the F.DS threads we have, and I'm not sure I know of one solution that's clearly "best" because I don't know all of the ways people use the threads. So maybe we can collect some ideas, and if there still doesn't seem to be a "best idea" out there we can make a poll and see what the most people would want.

So, some ideas:

- Would it help if the Live Streams thread was cleaned up? Like, only a short OP and then any reply would theoretically be a stream that's currently happening? We would ask that people delete their own posts in that thread once they've concluded their stream, but we would want some board moderators to help out as well. I'd be willing to moderate but I definitely wouldn't want to be the only one doing it. This would help out lurkers who don't have an account but still check these threads to see if there are any streams live at the moment; that may sound a little fringe but I actually don't think it is.

- Harmonizing the live stream threads: how many people out there currently prefer to only hear about tournament streams or regular streams? If there aren't many people like this then we should probably just combine the threads into one. Maybe the League thread could be only for announcements like "SoAndSo and I will be playing our League match on [date] at [time] and I'll be streaming at [link]." and then you post in the combined thread when you go live? Maybe some variation on this would be better?

I suppose I'd like to collect ideas for a while, and then maybe make a poll out of it if that seems necessary. What do people think?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple streaming threads: a solution?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:38:50 am »
+1

I like the situation as it currently is and don't experience any problems. It would of course be great if the twitch notification system always worked but I've learned to just not rely on it.

- Would it help if the Live Streams thread was cleaned up? Like, only a short OP and then any reply would theoretically be a stream that's currently happening?

I don't care what happens to the normal LS thread but I'd definitely want to see announcements in the League streaming thread as well, together with posts staying at least a few days after the stream has concluded so that people who weren't there to watch know there's something they can still watch if they want to.

If there were dozens of streams per day a sort of "STREAMING NOW" thread would probably be handy, but as it is that seems like total overkill.

- Harmonizing the live stream threads: how many people out there currently prefer to only hear about tournament streams or regular streams? If there aren't many people like this then we should probably just combine the threads into one.

I'd like them to remain separate as I'm mostly interested in watching league games, but because of the low volume it's not something I feel strongly about. What I would hate though is having to move between threads or even forums for "schedule announcements" and "going live" announcements. As long as there is one thread in one forum that contains both of these I'm happy.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple streaming threads: a solution?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »

Let's put in some more cents, as I think it's important to keep talking.

I agree that the fact that people outside our circle don't know our streams is a problem. Our streams are also basically unfindable to them. One of the reasons people stream (besides the 'get better at the game' and 'have fun' aspects) is, I think, to spread the game. At least, I think that should be one of the effects of streaming. I don't know about Twitch' partnerships and the requirements for that (it's probably way too much). I haven't tried out Youtube, but from what I'm guessing, there isn't a big community/audience there either.

I'd like to see some sort of agenda, because streams are announced, but I don't have the oversight to decide when and where which stream is happening. I don't know whether this could happen as some sort of app, but it'd be nice to see who's streaming what with one click, in stead of scrolling through everything.
About the threads, I don't know really. I have the notifications on, but those aren't the best, as I often get them too late or not at all. Also, Twitch is starting to become more reliable with their notifications, which means I get 3 e-mails per League stream sometimes. This could be more streamlined (although the particulars aren't that interesting to me).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.