Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  All

Author Topic: Mario Maker  (Read 101927 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Maker
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2019, 12:12:04 am »
+2

Finally uploaded my level!

99W-9HX-MJG

Uploading a red coin level is hard! While other players get to save after each room; I had to beat all rooms in a row without dying; 3 separate times! And the third time took me about 15 time more tries than the first 2 times. Probably just nerves.

Anyway, hope people out there with MM2 give it a try! It’s pretty difficult; probably in the easier half of super expert.

Just played it, overall really liked it. I appreciate red coin levels in general, because frequent checkpoints generally make levels more fun, and show that the designer is more committed to making the level fun than hard.

I found rooms 3 and 4 to be by far the easiest, with room 2 being in the middle (but relatively easy), and 1 and 5 significantly harder than the rest, especially 1. In fact, I'm guessing 60-70% of my deaths were on room 1, and most of those deaths were spent just trying to get to the platform and start getting into the rhythm of it. Once you get going it's not too bad, though you have to keep it going for quite a while until Bowser dies.

I found it pretty clear what I was supposed to do in every room. I've never heard the term "bomb slide", but I just did what it looked like I was supposed to do and rode the bob-omb to the other side of the room, then spin jumped down to kick a bomb over and pop back up every time a bob-omb came close enough to jump onto it. I agree it would have been better to put a Z track at the beginning, but I think it's pretty clear what to do there anyway.

Rooms 4 and 5 took a few tries before I understood what I was doing, but that's completely reasonable, especially since it's a red coin level so you're not punished for not figuring it out right away. In room 5 I was never sure how many times I was supposed to hit Bowser before running around the loop; I ended up hitting him 3 times each cycle, I'm not sure if you were intended to do more or fewer or if there was an intended strat. The other thing about that room is it became significantly easier once I realized the fire bar didn't extend up to the furthest muncher, so after you jump over the middle muncher, you can take your time with the last jump.

It's amazing to me that you can't do things like toggle Bowser's fire on or off, or adjust how many hits it takes to kill him. It was obvious playing your level that you had to design around that, which is why it tends to be hard to make good boss fights. I'm also baffled that there is still no pause menu option to kill yourself, nor did they do anything about key deaths apparently? That's actually pretty ridiculous, those would be completely trivial problems to fix, but they somehow seem completely oblivious...

I uploaded a level a few days ago: KR6-474-PPF (ignore the silly name and description). It's a pretty short SMB1 platforming level (3 sections, each about ~10 seconds long), which I think looks pretty cool when done correctly, but I'm worried it's not clear what you're supposed to do in some places. I tried putting coins and arrows everywhere, but not sure how much they really help...

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2019, 12:13:04 am »
+1

Ah... then yeah, you never had a chance, at least for that room. But I think that most people who would be playing on super-expert know about bomb slides; at least I see plenty of levels that require them... I suppose I could have put a "Z" to tell people to spin jump.

Throughly enjoyed it. I peeked into each room once to get an understanding of what I was aiming to do before restarting and running the level clean. I one shot each of the rooms (order of personal difficulty: 5-3-4-1-2), but then, alas, I weak jumped the final launch in 2 after Bowser was dead to end up in the flames. 😭😭😭. Ah well.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2019, 12:27:07 am »

Room 1 got a lot easier when I realized I could see the shell up top and time my jumps to when it went to the right.  I also duck jumped to make my jumps last longer.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2019, 12:32:51 am »

Room 1 got a lot easier when I realized I could see the shell up top and time my jumps to when it went to the right.  I also duck jumped to make my jumps last longer.

I did a spin jump facing forward, which auto hit bowser each time. But yes, untiming myself from the spring sound to the shell visual was key.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2019, 01:32:05 am »
+1

99W-9HX-MJG

Uploading a red coin level is hard! While other players get to save after each room; I had to beat all rooms in a row without dying; 3 separate times! And the third time took me about 15 time more tries than the first 2 times. Probably just nerves.

Anyway, hope people out there with MM2 give it a try! It’s pretty difficult; probably in the easier half of super expert.

Just played it, overall really liked it. I appreciate red coin levels in general, because frequent checkpoints generally make levels more fun, and show that the designer is more committed to making the level fun than hard.

I found rooms 3 and 4 to be by far the easiest, with room 2 being in the middle (but relatively easy), and 1 and 5 significantly harder than the rest, especially 1. In fact, I'm guessing 60-70% of my deaths were on room 1, and most of those deaths were spent just trying to get to the platform and start getting into the rhythm of it. Once you get going it's not too bad, though you have to keep it going for quite a while until Bowser dies.

I found it pretty clear what I was supposed to do in every room. I've never heard the term "bomb slide", but I just did what it looked like I was supposed to do and rode the bob-omb to the other side of the room, then spin jumped down to kick a bomb over and pop back up every time a bob-omb came close enough to jump onto it. I agree it would have been better to put a Z track at the beginning, but I think it's pretty clear what to do there anyway.

Thanks!

Rooms 4 and 5 took a few tries before I understood what I was doing, but that's completely reasonable, especially since it's a red coin level so you're not punished for not figuring it out right away. In room 5 I was never sure how many times I was supposed to hit Bowser before running around the loop; I ended up hitting him 3 times each cycle, I'm not sure if you were intended to do more or fewer or if there was an intended strat. The other thing about that room is it became significantly easier once I realized the fire bar didn't extend up to the furthest muncher, so after you jump over the middle muncher, you can take your time with the last jump.

I found 2 was the safest, but 3 was possible, and since it took 7 total I did 3-2-2 or 2-3-2, whenever I felt it was safe to get the third hit. So you only have to go around the obstacle course twice. But I figure some people will just do 2 at a time and go an extra cycle. Interesting fact: in MM1 it took 20 hits with the spike helmet; they lowered it to 7.

It was originally harder; I actually shortened the fire bar so that you can wait at the place you mentioned. Originally you had to get back to the ground without pause. And the muncher in the center was originally 2 munchers stacked; I got rid of one because it seemed too tight.

It's amazing to me that you can't do things like toggle Bowser's fire on or off, or adjust how many hits it takes to kill him. It was obvious playing your level that you had to design around that, which is why it tends to be hard to make good boss fights. I'm also baffled that there is still no pause menu option to kill yourself, nor did they do anything about key deaths apparently? That's actually pretty ridiculous, those would be completely trivial problems to fix, but they somehow seem completely oblivious...

Indeed, especially in the bomb section. Originally bowser was just to the right and you spin jumped the bombs across the room and into him. But his fire would randomly light the bombs or just kill you; so I got the idea to just put him down lower. Very rarely it’s possible that RNG fire will unavoidably kill you in the spike helmet room, but it didn’t seem to happen often enough to worry. It is also cool how I was able to put ceilings in most of the rooms just to catch the fire that he shoots in the air.

I uploaded a level a few days ago: KR6-474-PPF (ignore the silly name and description). It's a pretty short SMB1 platforming level (3 sections, each about ~10 seconds long), which I think looks pretty cool when done correctly, but I'm worried it's not clear what you're supposed to do in some places. I tried putting coins and arrows everywhere, but not sure how much they really help...

I’ll check it out. Thanks for the feedback!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2019, 01:38:44 am »

I did a spin jump facing forward, which auto hit bowser each time. But yes, untiming myself from the spring sound to the shell visual was key.

Yeah I carefully positioned the height so that the vertical camera would just barely let you see the shell. The hard part is really just always looking up there and ignoring the rest of the screen. But I found that due to the blue platform which holds the fire flower, you have a pretty big window to do the initial jump up to the blocks; because you can jump off the blue platform as needed.

So that section started out as something where an on/off switch was automatically hit at a much slower pace, like on for 5 seconds then off for 5 seconds. And I was using music blocks on tracks to make a countdown warning sound for each time the block would be hit. But I found it impossible to perfectly sync the timing of the block being hit with the timing of the music blocks; it would always slowly drift apart because one cycle would be a fraction of a second faster than the other. Eventually had to give up on that whole idea.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:40:11 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2019, 10:23:41 pm »

I uploaded my first course. It's an updated version of Piranha Pirates, which I made a few months ago for Mario Maker 1.

Q5J-VW1-FYG

It's a traditional, autoscrolling course. I estimate it's "Normal" difficulty, though it might end up as "Expert".

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2019, 06:40:20 am »
+1

99W-9HX-MJG

A whole lot of deaths, but finally finished. I felt like I learned the mechanic to each room fairly quickly, just kind of wish Bowser took fewer hits. The repitition to finally get the hang of executing the mechanic started to feel slightly tedious after several deaths knowing exactly what I needed to do. Still, fun levels!
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2019, 06:55:52 am »
+1

I uploaded my first course. It's an updated version of Piranha Pirates, which I made a few months ago for Mario Maker 1.

Q5J-VW1-FYG

It's a traditional, autoscrolling course. I estimate it's "Normal" difficulty, though it might end up as "Expert".

Nice! I played it until I got the record. I think Normal is fine for the difficulty, but I havent played enough to really know
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:21 pm »
+1

99W-9HX-MJG

A whole lot of deaths, but finally finished. I felt like I learned the mechanic to each room fairly quickly, just kind of wish Bowser took fewer hits. The repitition to finally get the hang of executing the mechanic started to feel slightly tedious after several deaths knowing exactly what I needed to do. Still, fun levels!

Thanks! No "like" though? Not to sound desperate or anything.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2019, 03:42:03 pm »
+1

Sorry it took a while, but played and beat this last night. Over all, good! Mario 1 platforming kaizo is probably my favorite level style as a whole. Your level reminded me of a Flipface level, which is quite a compliment.

The only part I struggled with in terms of the flow of things was in the second section. A couple issues in a row... first off, it's possible to go either over or under the red on/off block that's right after you hit the switch. I wasn't sure which one was intended... going over felt easier, but also a bit more awkward because you don't just clear it completely; you drag your face along it before going over. Going under was a bit faster, but harder to pull off.

Then right after that, it was a bit awkward and jenky to get up to the wiggler. In terms of flow, I really felt like I just wanted to hold right after bouncing off the left springs; but if you do that, you face-plant directly into the wiggler. So instead, you have to go left/right to go around and get up on top. Then depending on the exact angle that you bounce off the wiggler; the part with the falling walls of springs either just works or not; for me most of the time not. It seemed like I may have been doing something slightly wrong to get up to the wiggler; that or it just has to be a precise angle (with no real way to know what the correct angle is).

But that aside, it was still great. A very good level of difficulty for me; basically at the high end of my current skill level. Also, great use of the on/off blocks.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2019, 09:55:48 pm »

Sorry it took a while, but played and beat this last night. Over all, good! Mario 1 platforming kaizo is probably my favorite level style as a whole. Your level reminded me of a Flipface level, which is quite a compliment.

The only part I struggled with in terms of the flow of things was in the second section. A couple issues in a row... first off, it's possible to go either over or under the red on/off block that's right after you hit the switch. I wasn't sure which one was intended... going over felt easier, but also a bit more awkward because you don't just clear it completely; you drag your face along it before going over. Going under was a bit faster, but harder to pull off.

Then right after that, it was a bit awkward and jenky to get up to the wiggler. In terms of flow, I really felt like I just wanted to hold right after bouncing off the left springs; but if you do that, you face-plant directly into the wiggler. So instead, you have to go left/right to go around and get up on top. Then depending on the exact angle that you bounce off the wiggler; the part with the falling walls of springs either just works or not; for me most of the time not. It seemed like I may have been doing something slightly wrong to get up to the wiggler; that or it just has to be a precise angle (with no real way to know what the correct angle is).

But that aside, it was still great. A very good level of difficulty for me; basically at the high end of my current skill level. Also, great use of the on/off blocks.

Glad you liked it! I agree the second section is awkward in some places and I think I prioritized looking cool when done correctly too much over being fair to the player. I probably could have done some stuff better.

I just uploaded another level: WR0-L7J-P3G HP2-42H-Y1H. Based on the night-time snow physics, designed so that you generally won't die.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:51:23 am by scott_pilgrim »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 14, 2019, 10:09:38 pm »
+1

I just uploaded another level: WR0-L7J-P3G. Based on the night-time snow physics, designed so that you generally won't die.

I'm playing it right now, and got softlocked in the second room.  After hitting the POW I didn't hit the spring, and then I jumped and got stuck on the cloud.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2019, 11:13:33 pm »

I just uploaded another level: WR0-L7J-P3G. Based on the night-time snow physics, designed so that you generally won't die.

I'm playing it right now, and got softlocked in the second room.  After hitting the POW I didn't hit the spring, and then I jumped and got stuck on the cloud.

Thank you for catching this! I tried to check for soft-locks, but missed that. I added a one-way over the pow-block so I think you can't get soft-locked there now. New level code is HP2-42H-Y1H.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2019, 05:45:30 pm »
+1

Not as big a fan of the ice level. Maybe just because the ice itself is a frustrating physics. But the boss fight was great. The first section after the first checkpoint has some major cheese... first just stay at the bottom and hit the switch repeatedly until the muncher falls down. Then just jump up to each section by jumping left/right around the ceilings. No need to duck or slide or hit the blocks and springs at each level.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2019, 08:58:03 am »

Not as big a fan of the ice level. Maybe just because the ice itself is a frustrating physics. But the boss fight was great. The first section after the first checkpoint has some major cheese... first just stay at the bottom and hit the switch repeatedly until the muncher falls down. Then just jump up to each section by jumping left/right around the ceilings. No need to duck or slide or hit the blocks and springs at each level.

I thought about that, but I had more trouble doing it that way than the intended way because I found it really awkward to make those jumps without any momentum. But maybe I'm just weird, or maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2019, 11:00:44 am »
+1

I thought about that, but I had more trouble doing it that way than the intended way because I found it really awkward to make those jumps without any momentum. But maybe I'm just weird, or maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying?

Sounds like you're understanding correctly. I didn't find it hard to jump up that way; at least not has hard as timing duck-slides and jumps.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2019, 11:02:32 am »
+1

So I started building a new level... about half done I think. It's an airship night theme, so all enemies have low-gravity, but Mario moves normally. Running into a weird issue; maybe someone here can help...

In Mario Maker 1, originally you could only bounce off of a naked koopa after a few seconds when it recovered from taking damage. They released an update late into the game's life that made it so that you can bounce off of koopas immediately after they lose their shell.

Mario Maker 2 seems to keep this same behavior; and you can usually bounce off of koopas immediately. However, I'm having a strange issue in a level I'm designing. I'm using airship night theme; where the enemy's have low gravity but Mario moves normally. I noticed that when you jump off a koopa, the naked koopa bounces a bit in the air; and you cannot touch it until it lands.

I have a setup where you have to jump off a koopa that's in the air in such a way that the naked koopa falls right onto a note block. The note block then bounces the naked koopa up, and you can bounce off of the naked koopa. This works just fine maybe 95% of the time. But every once in a while, I just completely pass through the naked koopa (after it has successfully bounced off the note block as expected). Like it doesn't exist at all.

Does anyone know what could cause a recently de-shelled naked koopa that has bounced off of a noteblock to be not solid? I can't tell a difference between what it looks like the times that this happens. My best guess is that I'm hitting the original koopa either higher or lower in the air, changing the amount of time between the naked koopa being de-shelled and when it hits the note block. I really want to keep this setup in the level, as it's a really fun trick to do, but I really don't want someone to die to something a random 5% of the time when they have no control over it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2019, 02:13:46 am »

New level finished!

MWJ-V8N-5CG.

I think it’s a little easier than my last level, but maybe about the same. More traditional “kaizo-style” level that uses the nighttime airship theme that makes enemies have low-gravity while Mario moves normally.

As always feedback (and likes!) appreciated.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2019, 10:01:17 am »

Last night I beat The Producers, Barbarian's first Mario Maker 2 level!!

First time ever beating a Barb level or giving serious effort to doing so. Took about an hour and 45 minutes of grinding it out.. by far the hardest level I've done... I know there's plenty of harder stuff, including harder Barb levels, but still.

I might tackle The Mummy next.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2019, 12:51:48 pm »

New level: V6V YD1 2YG

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2019, 01:18:41 pm »

Will check it out.

My new one got far fewer plays than my first one. But I did get a streamer to play it during viewer levels so that was cool.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2019, 02:45:53 pm »

I need to get caught up on levels from here. Been making my way through the top most popular puzzle levels on Super Expert.

Mafia Record:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2019, 06:56:30 pm »
+1

New level: V6V YD1 2YG

Loved it! A couple of annoyingly hard jumps; but lots of cool setups. In the second half occasionally the giant muncher would end up below the long blue platform that was supposed to carry it up. Something with the time or position that it hit the sideways spring I guess. Still, a lot of fun.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 28, 2019, 07:19:27 pm »

I’m loving Carl’s new level - Please Just Do Better. Only put about 15 minutes in so far, but super fun.

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.