Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Mario Maker  (Read 101943 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Maker
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2019, 01:10:50 am »

I've uploaded a new level!

Piranha Pirates

It's a traditional auto-scrolling airship level with a piranha plant theme. It's got a few secrets and a boss room. See if you can collect all 100 coins (the 100th coin being the one you get from getting a card at the end of the stage).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2019, 09:26:07 am »
+1

I've uploaded a new level!

Piranha Pirates

It's a traditional auto-scrolling airship level with a piranha plant theme. It's got a few secrets and a boss room. See if you can collect all 100 coins (the 100th coin being the one you get from getting a card at the end of the stage).

In MM2, you'll be able to require that the player collect all 100 coins!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2019, 11:40:39 am »

In MM2, you'll be able to require that the player collect all 100 coins!

Yes! But um, I'm not sure I will. I mean I'll probably remake this level in MM2, but putting that requirement in an autoscrolling level seems like bad times. They can't go back to get coins they missed, you know?

I might create some levels that are like, get 50 of these 100 coins. Or I could design a level specifically around getting all the coins (which this level isn't). If it autoscrolled, I'd have to make a door at the end that let you go back to the start, and even that sounds less than ideal.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2019, 11:44:54 am »

I also created this level a few days ago, but it's just a quick little remix of Super Mario Bros. 1-1.

1-1 Advanced

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2019, 11:49:08 am »
+2

If it autoscrolled, I'd have to make a door at the end that let you go back to the start, and even that sounds less than ideal.

I have seen good levels, notably a recent one by com_poser, that required you to repeat an autoscroll level repeatedly until you got all the red coins from it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:35 am »
+2

So I'm very curious how the "kill all enemies" (or "kill x number of enemies") requirement will work with checkpoints and enemy respawns when going through doors and pipes.

My best guess is that each enemy will be flagged with whether or not it has been defeated by you since you started the stage. These flags will get saved when you hit a checkpoint, similar to how it saves if you have collected a red coin. So when you defeat an enemy and then go through a door and come back, you don't have to defeat that enemy again, and defeating him again will not increase your count of how many times you have defeated that enemy type.

Also curious about the "can't touch the floor" requirement... if you do touch the floor, the goal becomes un-gettable... but will you get to just keep playing the level like normal, even though it's impossible to win? Nintendo generally does what they can to avoid letting players be in a situation where they can't win, but aren't dead either (SD lock). So will touching the floor just instantly kill you instead?

Of course, with the other goals it would be very easy to be in a situation where you can't win but aren't dead either, but it isn't necessarily possible for the game engine to know that you can't win. With the "don't touch the floor" one, the game engine can easily know.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:54:06 am by GendoIkari »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2019, 11:54:26 am »

So Gendo, which features are you most excited about so far?

For me I think it's controllable autoscroll, variable water level (it's a shame that it's likely locked to forest levels, but oh well), scroll stop (for bonus rooms, etc.), vertical areas, new terrain themes, and some of the night level quirks. All the new enemies and blocks and such also seem great, but somehow it's the iterative improvements on what we already have that I'm most looking forward to.

Do you think we'll get a Super Mario Bros. 2 style as DLC down the road?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:56:04 am by LastFootnote »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2019, 12:06:04 pm »
+2

So Gendo, which features are you most excited about so far?

For me I think it's controllable autoscroll, variable water level (it's a shame that it's likely locked to forest levels, but oh well), scroll stop (for bonus rooms, etc.), vertical areas, new terrain themes, and some of the night level quirks. All the new enemies and blocks and such also seem great, but somehow it's the iterative improvements on what we already have that I'm most looking forward to.

Do you think we'll get a Super Mario Bros. 2 style as DLC down the road?

I think number one for me is on/off switches, and especially the fact that we now know they can do more than just turn blocks from solid to not. I'm always liked Mario Maker for the super creative things that people have managed to come up with; levels that play nothing like vanilla Mario. Moreso than "regular" Mario type levels. And the on/off blocks will add huge amounts of options for people far more creative than I to think of.

Locked scroll areas will be really great for the creation process; I made a red-coin level once (never actually finished and uploaded it); and spent a lot of frustrating time on just getting the sub-areas to be in a location where the whole "room" was on screen in an good place.

The new themes will be great for people who like to watch a lot of Mario Maker streams, just because of the variety in looks and music.

I feel like Mario 2 is actually pretty likely... based mostly off of the fact that the screen shot listing the styles showed Mario 3D world in its own section called "Extra Styles" (plural), with an obvious hole where another style would be. I've heard some different speculation on what that 6th style could be (Mario 2, Mario Land, Mario Galaxy), and it just seems like Mario 2 is most likely. Before the introduction of 3D world, I would have said "no way would that happen", due to Mario 2 being too different from the rest. But now they've shown 3D world being it's own separate thing pretty much, so Mario 2 seems more likely.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2019, 05:49:30 pm »
+2

I feel like Mario 2 is actually pretty likely... based mostly off of the fact that the screen shot listing the styles showed Mario 3D world in its own section called "Extra Styles" (plural), with an obvious hole where another style would be. I've heard some different speculation on what that 6th style could be (Mario 2, Mario Land, Mario Galaxy), and it just seems like Mario 2 is most likely. Before the introduction of 3D world, I would have said "no way would that happen", due to Mario 2 being too different from the rest. But now they've shown 3D world being it's own separate thing pretty much, so Mario 2 seems more likely.
Someone pointed out that, if your plan was to do Mario 2 and Mario 3-D World, well, wouldn't you show off Mario 2 first? Mario 3-D World is more unexpected and exciting. But, could still be Mario 2.

Galaxy seems next most likely. Another possibility is, they could announce a new Mario game, and then have that style.

The on/off switches and new win conditions are pretty exciting. And the terrain themes and 3-D world theme and night. I suspect I won't get into multiplayer, though for some people that has to be the most amazing feature. It will be great just to have a ton of new stuff too.

I am betting they are saving a reveal of a new power-up for each game type. This is of course based on, they have a hammer in 3-D world, but didn't show it in the general release of the video; you get a glimpse of it in the Japanese version. For Mario they'd have to make one up, or maybe use one from the Gameboy / DS games. Super Mario World just has the balloon but that would be nice to have. And then you have options for the others, but ice flower stands out.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2019, 05:55:15 pm »
+1

Someone pointed out that, if your plan was to do Mario 2 and Mario 3-D World, well, wouldn't you show off Mario 2 first? Mario 3-D World is more unexpected and exciting. But, could still be Mario 2.

Yeah I watched that Ceave video, and completely disagreed with him! Mario 2 is something that fans had been asking for since Mario Maker 1 was first announced. It's an old game with lots of nostalgia; which is largely the point of Mario Maker as a whole. 3D World is something no one expected, so yes, definitely more unexpected.. but I don't' see how it's more exciting.

I also didn't really understand the Galaxy idea that he was talking about... turning 3D world into a 2D game is one thing, but Galaxy as a whole relies so heavily on the fact that it is a 3D game. Everything special about it is due to it's 3D-ness. I can't even imagine what a flattened 2D version would be like, other than just the same as any other style except with up vs down gravity in some places.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:56:24 pm by GendoIkari »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2019, 06:12:26 pm »
+2

I also didn't really understand the Galaxy idea that he was talking about... turning 3D world into a 2D game is one thing, but Galaxy as a whole relies so heavily on the fact that it is a 3D game. Everything special about it is due to it's 3D-ness. I can't even imagine what a flattened 2D version would be like, other than just the same as any other style except with up vs down gravity in some places.
Yeah I was just watching some Galaxy videos, and it's like, if you aren't making whole little round worlds, what's the point? Super Mario 3-D World is secretly a very 2-D game - you walk along a 2-D area (but can jump), get to a wall, that's a 2-D area where you're climbing (but could jump out and fall), on top it's another flat area, and so on - just endless 2-D experiences. Galaxy does have plenty of 2-D areas, but we're getting that experience from 3-D World.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2019, 09:23:41 pm »

So.... um, any hint on room 2? Not really sure where to start lol. Though It seems very likely that just like room 1, you have 3 "samples" that show you how the equation works; and then 4th one where the answer is missing. I figured out that the width of each box is the same as the number of items in it... the largest one having 6 items and being 6 blocks wide. But I don't know if that's actually important at all; or just a good way to hold items. I was figuring that likely the 1, 2, or 3 is the number of times you apply some thing to end up with the answer. We couldn't figure out though if the 6 ice boxes are arranged in a specific pattern; is it specifically 2 columns of 3 boxes each? The fact that 2 of the boxes are identical seems to suggest that at least the position matters; otherwise why bother having another box that's the same?

Sorry, forgot to answer this, but in case you wanted to try it again...I had to actually look at it in the editor again because I remembered the basic idea of the puzzle but couldn't remember how I had laid stuff out. I think you are on the right track with some of the stuff you said here.

The width of the boxes is not meant to be meaningful at all. As with the first room, the stuff in ice blocks is meant to act as sort of a "key", the stuff in ground blocks are example "equations", and then the stuff in the ? blocks are giving you some input, and asking you for the output.

I recommend starting by trying to figure out the middle row (star, fire flower with a 1 = fire flower, mushroom, mushroom, star). If you figure out what that row means, then try to think about how it might generalize to 2 and 3.

I already see some stuff I could have communicated clearer. I think it would have been clearer if I had used arrow signs between the stuff in ice blocks, so it's like, mushroom, right arrow, star, mushroom; fire flower, right arrow, mushroom, mushroom, star; star, right arrow, fire flower. And then arrow signs instead of equal signs in the example equations. I also probably shouldn't have used items that move around, those are a little harder to see...

I'm also not sure if it's totally clear how to actually input your answer once you figure it out, but that might actually be kind of a fun mini-puzzle by itself.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2019, 09:38:02 pm »
+2

I think the on/off switches are by far the best new feature. There is just so much you can do with that, even without things like switching tracks and conveyors. They are amazing for puzzle levels, platforming levels, puzzle-platforming levels, even troll levels.

Goal conditions are probably the next coolest thing, just because there's so many of them. A lot of stuff that people really had to work at before is now just already implemented by the game. Like the "no touching the ground after you leave the first time" is like an automatic implementation of the no-jumping "captain toad" levels (although I guess that's different because you can't climb vines or things like that either). Someone needs to make a "stealth" level where you dodge enemies without jumping by hiding in the dry bones shell.

Vertical sub-areas will also be cool. People are going to do a lot of really cool stuff with that.

I can't decide whether the dislike button is good or bad, though I think at worst, it's just a necessary evil. The good levels in MM2 are going to be even better, but the bad levels are going to be so much worse. We are going to need a way to sift through them.

Multi-player is weird, because I think the game theory will be totally broken for some levels. Like, you could imagine a "bridge" of on/off blocks, with just one switch at the beginning, and nothing else in the level. Anyone who tries to cross the bridge dies because the other player turns it off, and so no one can do anything. The level is clearly beatable in single-player, but making it competitive makes it impossible, because it's easier to stop everyone from winning than it is to win.

That being said, I fully expect well-designed multi-player levels to be very fun.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2019, 03:01:07 am »
+1

I am just excited for the story mode.  Especially since this will be my first Mario Maker.  I mean, I could just do online and get ideas and such for building from there, but I think I will enjoy going through and being forced to do something that highlights each different feature (which I assume the story mode will do)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2019, 10:30:40 am »

I am just excited for the story mode.  Especially since this will be my first Mario Maker.  I mean, I could just do online and get ideas and such for building from there, but I think I will enjoy going through and being forced to do something that highlights each different feature (which I assume the story mode will do)

I just hope Nintendo borrowed some creative ideas from Mario Maker 1 levels. Not that Nintendo-built levels don't tend to be creative, but they tend to be a certain type of level that I'm not as big a fan of. It would be great of story mode had some of the types of levels where you can use Mario Maker to make not-so-Mario-like things. But that doesn't seem likely.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2019, 08:16:40 pm »
+1

I mean, it does look like they took a lot of inspiration from what people have been doing with ROM hacks, so it does seem like they're paying attention to the community to some extent. Hopefully that extends to them showing the variety of levels that are possible.

(Also, while goals look really good, I hope that they have some flexibility so that you can have "kill 2 of the 3 Bowsers" rather than always needing to clear everything.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2019, 11:48:38 am »

I mean, it does look like they took a lot of inspiration from what people have been doing with ROM hacks, so it does seem like they're paying attention to the community to some extent. Hopefully that extends to them showing the variety of levels that are possible.

(Also, while goals look really good, I hope that they have some flexibility so that you can have "kill 2 of the 3 Bowsers" rather than always needing to clear everything.)

Yes, I believe the most recent preview specifically showed an ability to set a specific number of an enemy type to kill. So the "kill all" is really just "kill x" where x is however many are in the level.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:51 pm »

I think which one is more exciting is debatable. I really like Super Mario 3D World, but there's a lot of nostalgia for Super Mario Bros. 2.

Also you have to remember that Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't even originally a Mario game in Japan. Which I guess is an argument for them not putting it in Mario Maker. Still, I think it's the style that would be the most worth doing of the games remaining.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2019, 10:52:52 pm »
+2

Anyone follow the Lucky Draw stuff from the last day?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kxnd3/this-mario-maker-level-has-been-played-26-million-times-and-never-beaten

After seeing Grand Poo Bear’s Tweet asking for help with it last night, I left my Wii U on overnight and all day today to do my part. Someone managed to beat it a couple hours ago.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2019, 11:48:30 pm »

There are few things in Mario Maker that I enjoy more than an entire game's worth of well-made traditional levels. The latest one I've found is this "Super Mario Retrospective" series by SUPER_KOUJI.

All the levels are in the original Super Mario Bros style. Each one has an optional goal of collecting 5 pink coins, the final one being at the top of the flagpole. There are no sub-areas (which is a little bit of a downer) and no hidden blocks that I've found, though there are some secrets. Here are links to the first four levels:

W 1-1
W 1-2
W 1-3
W 1-4

They start out easy but ramp up quickly. By world 5 (of 8), you're moving into Expert territory. I'm currently stuck on W 8-3, which is Super Expert.

Anyway it's a great set of levels. Each one has its own theme. If you want a taste of a more difficult level to decide whether you want to play the whole "game", W 6-4 is a particular favorite of mine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:49:31 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2019, 06:32:09 pm »

Ugh, you can’t overlap pipes in Mario Maker 2. That’s a damn shame, both aesthetically and practically.

Also the custom scrolling is only for horizontal areas, and even there it can’t go backward (like it does in SMB3’s World 2 airship, I believe.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2019, 01:13:22 am »

Strange, hadn’t heard about that. I did hear that you won’t be able to bring items through pipes. I wonder why those changes. And without overlapping pipes; will you be able to make one-way pipes anymore?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2019, 01:43:46 am »

Strange, hadn’t heard about that. I did hear that you won’t be able to bring items through pipes. I wonder why those changes. And without overlapping pipes; will you be able to make one-way pipes anymore?

I assume not.

Also you can’t have clear conditions if your stage has checkpoints.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2019, 02:07:16 am »

I assume not.

Also you can’t have clear conditions if your stage has checkpoints.

That one I knew, and I get the logic of it. It partially answers my question about how clear conditions will work with things that respawn. But the question still remains about things respawning when going through doors and pipes.

I also saw an interesting video asking how multiplayer can work with things that need to respawn. In single player, if you die, everything starts over. In multiplayer, when a player dies, the level stays as it was and the dead player respawns. But it would be very easy to make it so that a player who has respawned is now just stuck forever because the level didn’t respawn.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2019, 02:03:32 pm »

Ugh, you can’t overlap pipes in Mario Maker 2. That’s a damn shame, both aesthetically and practically.

Also the custom scrolling is only for horizontal areas, and even there it can’t go backward (like it does in SMB3’s World 2 airship, I believe.
And the 3-D world style is missing e.g. tracks.

For me the biggest disappointment remains, no new power-ups (yes except the cat suit for the new style). There's that image of a hammer; is it content that didn't make it, DLC, or what? People who've played for weeks are acting like there's nothing really to come that we don't know about. I have been thinking, new power-ups are coming, surely.

Though, in one video of a story mode level, someone rescues a toad. Which suggests that you can unlock the ability to have rescue-able toads in levels. I mean if the game has it, why not let you do it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.