Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Mario Maker  (Read 101976 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Maker
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2016, 04:48:47 pm »

There's probably highlights from both that are worth a watch, but if you aren't especially into Mario games being played fast, then watching the entire things is probably not so worthwhile. They have some very good moments and some really nice tricks, but lots of deaths and stuff, so it's not exactly a showstopper from start to finish. Maybe check out the first minute of the first one and see what you think.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2016, 05:13:38 pm »

There's probably highlights from both that are worth a watch, but if you aren't especially into Mario games being played fast, then watching the entire things is probably not so worthwhile. They have some very good moments and some really nice tricks, but lots of deaths and stuff, so it's not exactly a showstopper from start to finish. Maybe check out the first minute of the first one and see what you think.

Was pretty interesting, I ended up watching it for like 20 minutes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2016, 06:29:02 pm »
+3

Update in a week.

Super Mario Maker: More than 6.2 million courses from players around the world are available for others to play, and now a free March 9 update will add a Super Expert mode to the 100-Mario Challenge. The mode is unlocked after players clear Expert mode. Super Expert Mode dishes out six extremely tough courses. Additionally, 12 new Mystery Mushroom costumes have been added to 100 Mario Challenge. The update also provides level creators with even more tools:

> Shake a P Switch to turn it into a key. Shake a Door to turn it into a Key Door. Creators can make enemies hold keys, meaning players can’t advance without defeating mandatory bosses.
> Shake a Coin to turn it into a Pink Coin. Players must collect them all to make a key appear.
> Shake a Thwomp to turn it into a massive Skewer column from Super Mario World.

Additionally, the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site will see additions such as ranking categories for world records and the number of first clears on courses, inspiring new ways to experience the main game.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:04 pm »
+1

So much good stuff coming. Hopefully the Super Expert challenge will suck in all the courses with <1% pass rate or so, leaving the Expert challenge at something just marginally less infuriating. I'm not sure I like the sound of mandatory bosses, though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2016, 02:56:00 pm »

I'm pretty excited about the update. The pink coins especially are cool. I wonder how many you can have in a level, and if they carry over from between sub-areas. I'm guessing "five" and "yes", respectively. Also it's interesting that keys don't have to be carried, but just float along with you. I guess that had to be the case to make them work with the original Super Mario Bros.

I will once again lament the absence of some really obvious stuff the game should have. Today's complaint: you should be able to place blue coins, a.k.a. coins that only appear once you hit a P-Switch.

EDIT: A new video was uploaded; 5 pink coins is indeed the maximum per stage. Also you can hold up to 8 keys at once for some reason. Looks like pairs of doors remain permanently unlocked, though, so I'm not sure why you'd ever need more than fou—oh, right, it's 4 sets of doors per area, so you might need 8 keys after all. Guess that means you can take keys through pipes.

EDIT: Correction: it appears you can have 10 pink coins total, 5 in each area. But they all stack together; you need all of them to make a single key.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:53:31 am by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2016, 09:04:34 pm »
+1

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2016, 04:47:02 pm »
+3

Lately I've been playing 100 Mario Mode on Expert difficulty. For some reason that even I cannot fathom, I am trying to collect all the costumes, and have already gotten all the Easy and Medium ones.

I like Expert mode! The average quality of levels tends to be much higher. Starting today, I plan to post levels that I found particularly excellent. I'm going to aim for one per day, but we'll see if I can keep that up (I can't). Today's level is 36 Chambers, and as the name implies, it's a gauntlet of 36 rooms, each with a unique obstacle. There are two checkpoints.

Also I'll do a quick plug for Drab's latest level, The Gatekeepers v1.1, which I played just last night. In some ways it's of a theme with 36 Chambers, but there are 8 chambers and each one contains a mini-boss fight. Each battle is more clever than the last!

Remember that you can follow these links and bookmark these stages using your browser, making them easily accessible from your Wii U without the need to enter the 16-digit code.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:16:36 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2016, 09:49:06 am »

Today I have a real humdinger for you: Bowser's Flame Wheel Fortress! Over 5500 people have played it, so it's possible you've seen it before. But if you haven't, you should give it a look! Belgian creator Jadpraet drops fire bars on tracks in order to create moving wheels of flame, as you can see in this screenshot.

But I wouldn't be recommending the level just for that gimmick alone. It's a well-designed level, and there was a moment that made me say "Wow". Check it out!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:59:19 am by LastFootnote »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:50 pm »
+1

Thanks LFN! I will be bookmarking these, and dying many times over to them in the future.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2016, 06:07:59 pm »
+1

I played last night, but for some reason the courses I thought I'd bookmarked weren't there. So I've tried again, hopefully they'll be there next chance I get to play.

It's a shame there's no easy way to go in the other direction - play a course then bring up its code in the bookmarks. I'll have to track down a couple I played last night, there were some cool ones, including a neat little one-room puzzle.

Speaking of one-room puzzles, this one took me far too long to figure out for how simple it was, but I reckon some of you might enjoy it: One-Screen Puzzle #8.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2016, 06:42:20 pm »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2016, 12:50:37 pm »
+1

I made another level! The Hot House - ED32-0000-0241-C127 (or get it from my maker page or however that works)
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2016, 04:35:00 pm »

I can feel myself getting angry just watching these.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:50 pm »
+1

I made another level! The Hot House - ED32-0000-0241-C127 (or get it from my maker page or however that works)

I finally played this! Nice level.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2016, 02:49:09 pm »
+1

For those who didn't see it, the SGDQ blind Mario Maker race was pretty great. A few levels were perhaps a little too hard (Wallkick Sunshine Happytime in particular) but it was still pretty exciting and has some really cool levels involved.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2016, 04:02:22 pm »
+2

My wife and I make bad stages

E8D7-0000-0271-ECB3
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2016, 04:32:47 pm »
+1

I did it again!

Tower Ascent - D8AF-0000-027C-DF0A

Something I'm pretty pleased with in this stage is that every section has multiple ways through. Usually there's an alternate faster method than the obvious way through. Some sections even have 3 or more ways. This also applies to the mini Rube Goldberg machine at the end, which can do one of three different things depending on how you end the level (well potentially more if you jump over the end goal and mess with the machine itself, but... yeah).

Anyway I'm going to go play JSH's level now.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2016, 11:27:55 am »
+1

A series of mini challenges level - The Six Coins: 16C5-0000-028D-D003

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »
+1

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BB11-0000-02A6-4266 - Assassin Mario. Pretty tough, probably slightly easier than The Six Coins, but likely still Expert level difficulty.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2016, 08:45:25 am »

So I got a Wii U recently, along with Mario Maker. Been playing a bunch of one screen puzzle levels. Mostly by Sean Hip. Anyone else play or make one screen puzzles? I'm not much into the creating part of he game; I don't have any good ideas.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2016, 04:29:58 pm »

Sean Hip's puzzles are completely insane. I've been watching CarlSagen42 play through them on Youtube, which is pretty entertaining, but yeah, his puzzles are amazing.

I haven't made any puzzles personally. I've considered it, but they seem very difficult to make work and work well.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2016, 12:14:09 pm »

Sean Hip's puzzles are completely insane. I've been watching CarlSagen42 play through them on Youtube, which is pretty entertaining, but yeah, his puzzles are amazing.

I haven't made any puzzles personally. I've considered it, but they seem very difficult to make work and work well.

Yeah Carl Sagan is how I found about Sean Hip too. He's the only MM streamer I've found that I like. I've been solving a puzzle, then watching the Sagan video on it to see how his thought process differed from mine. Often we have slightly varying versions of the solution.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »

I watched a few random CarlSagan videos on YouTube, and I'm now suckered into the long series where he keeps playing "one more" level by Kanade, aka "this Japanese girl with huge glasses". It's kind of nice to see someone streaming a game like this and get through levels not because of some miraculous ability to always get frame-perfect moves but through careful logic and lots of patience.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »

I watched a few random CarlSagan videos on YouTube, and I'm now suckered into the long series where he keeps playing "one more" level by Kanade, aka "this Japanese girl with huge glasses". It's kind of nice to see someone streaming a game like this and get through levels not because of some miraculous ability to always get frame-perfect moves but through careful logic and lots of patience.

Yeah, that series was amazing. Also, it turned out that maker had copied all her levels from other people and has since been banned.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »

Aww :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.