Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Mario Maker  (Read 101939 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Maker
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 04:31:12 am »
+2

Can you make a cannon that fires chain chomps which remain attached to the cannon, such that it becomes a flying, writhing medusa head?

Firing Chain Chomps shoots them loose; the chain won't be attached to anything.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 12:06:51 pm »

Can you make a cannon that fires chain chomps which remain attached to the cannon, such that it becomes a flying, writhing medusa head?

Firing Chain Chomps shoots them loose; the chain won't be attached to anything.

:'(

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 02:37:00 pm »

Man, making a level that really feels Mario-like is tough. I'm only halfway done with my first level, and even after I'm "finished" it's going to need more polish. I really, really wish there were a way to add checkpoints.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 02:41:07 pm »

Man, making a level that really feels Mario-like is tough. I'm only halfway done with my first level, and even after I'm "finished" it's going to need more polish. I really, really wish there were a way to add checkpoints.

Best thing I've figured out is pipes that emit mushrooms, that the player can return to if they take a hit, and avoiding using death pits (because those ignore your checkpoints).

I wish it was easier to get feedback on unfinished levels, too. I want to talk about what I'm working on, but short of buying a capture card it's hard to do that online.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:50:39 pm by Drab Emordnilap »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 04:00:32 pm »

Best thing I've figured out is pipes that emit mushrooms, that the player can return to if they take a hit, and avoiding using death pits (because those ignore your checkpoints).

Well, that's certainly one way to solve the issue. I would still like players to be able to die in the level, though.

What mushroom (and other power-up) pipes are really good for is guaranteeing that you always have x ability, which enables you to build levels that require x ability. That's what I mean by gimmicky levels, though. In any real Mario game, you can beat any level as small Mario if you're skilled enough. Probably I'll warm to the idea eventually, but for now it seems wrong somehow.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 05:09:16 pm »
+1

Well, that's certainly one way to solve the issue. I would still like players to be able to die in the level, though.

What mushroom (and other power-up) pipes are really good for is guaranteeing that you always have x ability, which enables you to build levels that require x ability. That's what I mean by gimmicky levels, though. In any real Mario game, you can beat any level as small Mario if you're skilled enough. Probably I'll warm to the idea eventually, but for now it seems wrong somehow.
I guess you could try to make a Super Mario Bros 3 level since those don't have checkpoints.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »

I guess you could try to make a Super Mario Bros 3 level since those don't have checkpoints.

They don't? Man, I think you're right. Huh. I never noticed that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 05:36:00 pm »
+1

In any real Mario game, you can beat any level as small Mario if you're skilled enough. Probably I'll warm to the idea eventually, but for now it seems wrong somehow.

This isn't true in Super Mario World at least. The speed run category for "small Mario only" has a set of exits / levels that simply can't be done.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 05:46:39 pm »

In any real Mario game, you can beat any level as small Mario if you're skilled enough. Probably I'll warm to the idea eventually, but for now it seems wrong somehow.

This isn't true in Super Mario World at least. The speed run category for "small Mario only" has a set of exits / levels that simply can't be done.

Well shut my mouth. I had no idea. I'll have to replay through Super Mario World to see which levels are like that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 05:53:51 pm »

Well shut my mouth. I had no idea. I'll have to replay through Super Mario World to see which levels are like that.

According to this, the run completes 86/96 exits. It's "no powerups", which includes no Yoshi and no switch palaces either.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 06:09:50 pm »

Is it for Wii U only or?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 07:05:35 pm »

Is it for Wii U only or?

Yes, Wii U only.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 07:15:43 pm »
+4

According to this, the run completes 86/96 exits. It's "no powerups", which includes no Yoshi and no switch palaces either.

For the curious, the 10 exits that aren't made in this run:

The 4 Switch Palaces, which are completable as Small Mario, but are counted as "Powerups" and so are skipped

The secret exit to the first Ghost House (requires flying with the cape), which leads to a bonus level

The secret exit to Cheese Bridge Area (requires either the cape or Yoshi to go underneath the main exit), which leads to Soda Lake

The exit to Soda Lake, which you can't get to because of the previous item

Both exits from Star World 1 (filled entirely with blocks you have to break by spin-jumping on them). A Mushroom is provided at the start.

The secret exit to Valley of Bowser 4 (requires using Yoshi to collect an item through an unbreakable wall with his tongue), which leads to one of the entrances to the Star Road bonus levels

Notably, none of these are on the "main path" through the game; almost all of them lead to "bonus" content of one form or another.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »
+1

Yeah I almost made a post saying that providing items for part of a level is ok in Mario if it's for a secret part of a level.  I decided not to post it since LastFootnote would already know that and feel insulted.

I guess maybe I should have contributed.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:45 pm »

New question -- to what can you attach Chain Chomps?  Could you leash it to a Cheep Cheep?  Could you link a bunch together into a Chain Chomp Centipede?  Could you attach them all to a flying cannon to make a flying Chain Chomp Medusa head (that, sadly, does not continue to grow hair)?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:48 pm »
+8

New question -- to what can you attach Chain Chomps?  Could you leash it to a Cheep Cheep?  Could you link a bunch together into a Chain Chomp Centipede?  Could you attach them all to a flying cannon to make a flying Chain Chomp Medusa head (that, sadly, does not continue to grow hair)?

I made you a video.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 09:35:13 pm »

Looks like you can't attach them to each other then?  And you can't attach multiple to the same point?  Still, pretty great.  I feel that Chain Chomps attached to Boos would make for some great fun.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 12:10:39 am »
+1

First level uploaded.

Super Spinies: 8F29-0000-0040-2DD1

My goal was to make a level that you might see in a Mario game. The theme is giant Spinies. There are secrets to be found; some are obvious and some are less obvious. Feedback is very welcome!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:20:04 am by LastFootnote »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 01:50:31 am »
+1

First level uploaded.

My goal was to make a level that you might see in a Mario game. The theme is giant Spinies. There are secrets to be found; some are obvious and some are less obvious. Feedback is very welcome!

Neat level! It feels more like a Mario level than most I've played so far. I found the pipe to the Fire Flower where you have to crouch underneath them, but no other secrets so far.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 09:22:26 am »

Those level codes seems surprisingly short for holding the information for a whole level.

I mean they definitely aren't giving you guys enough access to tweaking physics variables and modifying the childhood experiences of each individual Koopa and stuff.

EDIT: OH duh they must be codes to go look at the level where it has been uploaded.  In that case they are surprisingly long, how many levels will there be?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:23:42 am by popsofctown »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 02:19:16 pm »

First level uploaded.

Neat level! It feels more like a Mario level than most I've played so far. I found the pipe to the Fire Flower where you have to crouch underneath them, but no other secrets so far.

Well "secrets" is a relative term. There is one other underground area that's very easy to access and there are two invisible blocks in the overworld area.

Also I forgot to say this earlier: in case some folks aren't aware, you can use the ZL button (left trigger) to spin jump on Spinies without injury. That's not necessary to beat the level, but it does help.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 02:19:50 pm »

Yeah I almost made a post saying that providing items for part of a level is ok in Mario if it's for a secret part of a level.  I decided not to post it since LastFootnote would already know that and feel insulted.

I do not feel insulted! And I agree with you that it's OK (and even desirable) to need power-ups in order to access some secret areas.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2015, 02:40:34 pm »
+1

Those level codes seems surprisingly short for holding the information for a whole level.

I mean they definitely aren't giving you guys enough access to tweaking physics variables and modifying the childhood experiences of each individual Koopa and stuff.

EDIT: OH duh they must be codes to go look at the level where it has been uploaded.  In that case they are surprisingly long, how many levels will there be?

I read that right now around 135,000 courses are being uploaded per day. Don't know if that's true or not, but assuming it hovers at around, say, 50K per day on average, perhaps 20 million in a year's time?

Also it's worth noting that of the 16 digit codes, right now four of those digits seem to be always zero, so the codes are kinda not as long as they first look.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:43:41 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2015, 03:03:23 pm »

Also it's worth noting that of the 16 digit codes, right now four of those digits seem to be always zero, so the codes are kinda not as long as they first look.

Six of them, actually! I have yet to see a code where the 9th and 10th digits weren't also zeros.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 03:30:43 pm »
+3

I read that right now around 135,000 courses are being uploaded per day. Don't know if that's true or not, but assuming it hovers at around, say, 50K per day on average, perhaps 20 million in a year's time?

If it's a hundred million a year, then we have 180 billion years until the 18 quintilion possible codes indexed by a 16 character hex code are exhausted.

At that time, Nintendo will probably be giving us E3 sneak peaks of a game system sequel to the Wii U with similar specs to the old one but with a brand new way of controlling the game and we will be so excited we will stop making Mario levels until Mario Maker 2 comes out and we make the Mario levels with Playdough.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.