Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Accolade - Event that turns Actions into Reserves  (Read 2744 times)

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
Accolade - Event that turns Actions into Reserves
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:26:35 am »

Hi,

this Event card idea is rather old (see here), but I really like it. Now I simplified it to make it more pleasing. Maybe someone can make a card image for it?

ACCOLADE (Event) $2
Choose an Action that you have in play. Put it on your Tavern mat.
(When a non-Reserve Action card is on your Tavern mat, you may pay an Action during your Action phase to play it.)

The problem is that it takes up a Buy. I tried to compare it to Expedition which gives you +2 cards the next turn; this gives you +1 card anytime you need it. Maybe it should cost more because the +1 card you placed on the mat is better than 2 random cards from the deck...? What do you think?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Accolade - Event that turns Actions into Reserves
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:29:33 am »
+1

Don't know about the cost, but maybe this wording would be better:

(You may play non-Reserve Action cards in your Tavern Mat as if they were in your hand)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 11:05:00 am »
+1

Accolade
Types: Event
Cost: $3
Choose an Action you have in play. When you discard it this turn, put it onto your Reserve mat. If it is not a Reserve card, you may play it on a later turn as if it was in your hand.
Wording changes for ease of tracking in the case of duration cards.

I would price this at $3 in order to avoid particularly abusive cases with Attacks. Witch arms races could possibly occur even with Accolade having a cost of $3, but at least unending Goons and Ghost Ship attacks would require a tiny bit of effort.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:12:10 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 01:09:51 pm »

I had the anti Duration wording as well but then I realized that tracking is not that huge of an issue.
The card is still in front of you at least until the start of the next turn; if people durations by tapping the card or by putting them into another row, they could do this on the Tavern mat as well. It wouldn't work with my other-than-"at the start of your next turn" Durations, but with the original ones it should work well.

The Attack problem sounds important. I guess it allows the player to go completely destructive. If he buys nothing than Accolading a Witch every turn, it feels like Saboteur - he doesn't do any good for his own deck at all, just harming the other players.
So maaybe it would be better to give it +1 Buy for $3? So you are able to buy a regular card as well?

Accolade (Event) $3
+1 Buy. Choose an Action that you have in play. Put it on your Tavern mat.
(You may play non-Reserve Action cards in your Tavern Mat as if they were in your hand.)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 01:43:22 pm »
+1

I had the anti Duration wording as well but then I realized that tracking is not that huge of an issue.
The card is still in front of you at least until the start of the next turn; if people durations by tapping the card or by putting them into another row, they could do this on the Tavern mat as well. It wouldn't work with my other-than-"at the start of your next turn" Durations, but with the original ones it should work well.
Hireling is going to be interesting to track, even so.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:22:39 am »

Hireling is going to be interesting to track, even so.
Got me.

So Fragasnap's wording it is. But whith +1 Buy I guess.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:21:45 am »
+1

The card is pretty similar to Scheme. Scheme is slower to set up, which means that it doesn't help as much with cursing attacks. $3 might be a better price point. Also something like Accolade - draw with +buy is going to be pretty strong. Like Accolade-Margrave gives you an 8 card hand every turn (unless the opponent uses Margrave as well). So making it a bit more expensive would be good.

One consideration is how this works with Reserve cards. You can use this to call a Reserve card every turn, which will be pretty strong with stuff like Duplicate, Transmogrify or Royal Carriage. Probably not broken though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 02:39:17 pm »
+1

The card is pretty similar to Scheme. Scheme is slower to set up, which means that it doesn't help as much with cursing attacks. $3 might be a better price point. Also something like Accolade - draw with +buy is going to be pretty strong. Like Accolade-Margrave gives you an 8 card hand every turn (unless the opponent uses Margrave as well). So making it a bit more expensive would be good.

One consideration is how this works with Reserve cards. You can use this to call a Reserve card every turn, which will be pretty strong with stuff like Duplicate, Transmogrify or Royal Carriage. Probably not broken though.

Saying "it gives you an 8-card hand very turn" is misleading since you're still spending an action to get there, its not like having 3 hirelings in play. But I don't disagree with you in general.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.