Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bane Questions  (Read 3583 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Bane Questions
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:22:27 pm »
+1

Couple of questions regarding Young Witch's Bane:

(1) Young Witch says the Bane card must cost $2 or $3.  Can Stonemason, Doctor, and Masterpiece be the Bane?  Technically, they don't cost $2 or $3.

(2) When determining if you should put out Colonies/Platinums, you choose one of the Kingdom cards at random: if it's a Prosperity card, put out Colonies/Platinums; else, don't.  Do you include the Bane/11th card for this?  Same could be asked about Shelters / Dark Ages.

EDIT: Another somewhat-related question regarding Colonies/Platinums and Shelters.
From the Prosperity Rulebook:
"If a mix of Kingdom cards from Prosperity and other sets are being used, then the inclusion of Platinum and Colony in the Supply should be determined randomly, based on the proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use."
Does that mean green cards should have 8/10 the weight (in a 2-player game) as normal kingdom piles when choosing the "random" pile?  Similarly, should Rats have twice the weight?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:20:24 pm by Dingan »

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Bane Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:23:38 pm »
+4

1) Yes. Those cards cost $2 and $3, the plus sign is just there to remind you that they have the overpay ability.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »
+1

"If a mix of Kingdom cards from Prosperity and other sets are being used, then the inclusion of Platinum and Colony in the Supply should be determined randomly, based on the proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use."
Does that mean green cards should have 8/10 the weight (in a 2-player game) as normal kingdom piles when choosing the "random" pile?  Similarly, should Rats have twice the weight?

Sorry, this part is quite hilarious :) All piles are created equal, and all sizes are beautiful.

On a more serious note, every card in the kingdom counts as 1/10.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:48 pm »

(2) When determining if you should put out Colonies/Platinums, you choose one of the Kingdom cards at random: if it's a Prosperity card, put out Colonies/Platinums; else, don't.  Do you include the Bane/11th card for this?  Same could be asked about Shelters / Dark Ages.

I thought the actual rule was something like "use the first card to determine whether to include Platinum/Colonies, and the second card to determine whether to include Shelters".  Since you don't choose the bane until the end*, it won't affect the odds of using platinum/colonies/shelters.

*I assume this is the case.  If you choose the bane immediately after choosing Young Witch, then add the remaining cards randomly, I think you'd get a very slight bias against $2 or $3 cards compared to what you get if you wait until the end to choose it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:29:07 am »
+4

You can choose the kingdom however you want.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:41:16 am »
+2

You can play be whatever rules you want, but there is an official correct way to play based on the rulebook. Same goes for deciding if you should use Shelters.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:38 am »

You can play be whatever rules you want, but there is an official correct way to play based on the rulebook. Same goes for deciding if you should use Shelters.

I guess this is a good case of asking what does Goko do? Assuming a pro-rated game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 11:26:48 am »
+2

I guess this is a good case of asking what does Goko do? Assuming a pro-rated game.

And then take whatever they do and assume the opposite is true?

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure this isn't something that's governed in the rules. The prosperity rules tell you to "choose a random Kingdom card being used". The question is simply if you should follow these instructions before or after you follow the Young Witch setup instructions. I suppose if you wanted to get really technical about it, the normal rules of Dominion say that when 2 things happen at the same time, you choose the order in which to resolve them. So when you have both Baker and Young Witch in the Kingdom, you are supposed to get both an extra supply pile and a coin token. You choose the order in which to do those things, though in that case the order makes no difference. Here, you have 2 setup instructions to follow, one is to add an extra pile to the Kingdom, the other is to choose a Kingdom card at random and see if it is Prosperity. Do them in whichever order you want.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 11:51:20 am »

I think the best answer here is that it doesn't matter. If you're using the randomizer deck, I'd use the first card to determine Colonies and the second to determine Shelters. So the Bane wouldn't affect either. But if you're rolling a die or whatever, you could go either way. I'd just do whatever is fastest for you, since you'll have a fun game either way.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »
+5

I think the best answer here is that it doesn't matter. If you're using the randomizer deck, I'd use the first card to determine Colonies and the second to determine Shelters. So the Bane wouldn't affect either. But if you're rolling a die or whatever, you could go either way. I'd just do whatever is fastest for you, since you'll have a fun game either way.

There's no way it can be possibly a fun game if you had a 3 out of 11 chance of Shelters instead of a 3 out of 10 chance.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.