Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards In Need of Play Testing  (Read 2318 times)

Rafy235

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Cards In Need of Play Testing
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:13 pm »

The following are some fun cards I've designed, but would like some help balancing.

The idea is not only to block junking attacks, but also provide some combos with workshop and such. When not used to react,
it's simply a village. The real debate is whether it should be 5 or not.

Inspired by lost arts, I wanted a way to give those cards that are lacking that last vanilla effect they need to jump up in power.
It can't be stacked, and you only have four of the tokens available tokens. To powerful? I don't know.

Because zeppelins are awesome, I figured they needed an installment in my favorite game. I gave it a contraband effect
that can't be stacked between turns. Still, it might need to be priced at 6.

It's a Margrave in reverse order, with the balance of filling up your deck with T-Rex. It might even be under-powered due to this clogging mechanism.

Thanks in advance for all critique and play-testing, hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:23:34 pm by Rafy235 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Cards In Need of Play Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:46:03 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure I would rather get attacked by T-Rex than reveal a Moat almost every time. Discarding 3 bad cards to draw 4 random cards is an incredibly good deal. I think the only use for the card is precisely the clogging mechanism, since it gives you $4 cards in your deck that you can trash with e.g. Remodel.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 04:46:20 pm »
+1

Watermill: cantrip reactions are generally not a great idea, because you'll happily get a large number of them if there's any junking attacks around. With Moat and Watchtower, you have to carefully think about how many you can afford to get, because if you draw multiple together, it's bad. And this is way better against junking attacks than any other reaction. If it just discarded itself and gave +1 card, then it would be pretty similar to Watchtower. But it gives +2, so it increases your handsize. Basically, I don't think I would ever buy any junking attacks when this is on the board.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:50:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure I would rather get attacked by T-Rex than reveal a Moat almost every time. Discarding 3 bad cards to draw 4 random cards is an incredibly good deal. I think the only use for the card is precisely the clogging mechanism, since it gives you $4 cards in your deck that you can trash with e.g. Remodel.
The idea is that the third card might not actually be bad.  It is the median card in your hand.

I think forcing the player to go all the way down to 1 card would be a good idea.  And then give it +1$ on play too

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:11:27 pm »

The idea is that the third card might not actually be bad.  It is the median card in your hand.

I think forcing the player to go all the way down to 1 card would be a good idea.  And then give it +1$ on play too

Well on average, four random cards are a lot better than the worst three of five cards.  Even three random cards are a lot better than the worst three of five cards.  Making it four helps that issue a little bit, but four random cards are still better than your four worst cards out of five, so it doesn't feel like an attack at all.

To do the "discard then draw more" idea, you would probably have to do something like Pillage and then they draw two.  I can't decide whether that's reasonable or not.  Probably not for a card that gains itself though.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »

The following are some fun cards I've designed, but would like some help balancing.

The idea is not only to block junking attacks, but also provide some combos with workshop and such. When not used to react,

I don't think this card can exist. As GendoIkari said, this can't harm your deck to have multiple, so unlike all of the official reactions so far (except Caravan Guard), you don't have to worry about collisions, and the reaction effect is powerful enough that nobody's going to buy any junking attacks with this in the Supply.

Inspired by lost arts, I wanted a way to give those cards that are lacking that last vanilla effect they need to jump up in power.
It can't be stacked, and you only have four of the tokens available tokens. Too powerful? I don't know.

So, basically a strictly stronger Teacher, then? Sorry, but no.

Because zeppelins are awesome, I figured they needed an installment in my favorite game. I gave it a contraband effect

At $5, or the $6 you suggest, it should be an Attack card but allow you to buy the named card and only prevent other players from buying it. And as for the "you may not play this during your next turn" effect, what happens if you reveal one with a Golem or Herald? Which card's rules get broken? Rinkworks has a guide that explains why this kind of effect doesn't work.

It's a Margrave in reverse order, with the balance of filling up your deck with T-Rex. It might even be under-powered due to this clogging mechanism.

Like Awaclus said, T-Rex's ability sounds like a drawback. I would try this:

T-Rex
+1 Card
Gain a T-Rex. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. Each player that you choose discards down to 2 cards in hand and then puts the revealed cards into his hand. The other players discard the 2 cards.
Cost: $4
Action - Attack

This way, it doesn't stink, because you can have the attack only affect players it would harm, and it doesn't have them draw more cards than they discarded.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:19:44 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Rafy235

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:56:51 pm »

I don't think this card can exist. As GendoIkari said, this can't harm your deck to have multiple, so unlike all of the official reactions so far (except Caravan Guard), you don't have to worry about collisions, and the reaction effect is powerful enough that nobody's going to buy any junking attacks with this in the Supply.

It can't be stacked, and you only have four of the tokens available tokens. Too powerful? I don't know.

So, basically a strictly stronger Teacher, then? Sorry, but no.

At $5, or the $6 you suggest, it should be an Attack card but allow you to buy the named card and only prevent other players from buying it. And as for the "you may not play this during your next turn" effect, what happens if you reveal one with a Golem or Herald? Which card's rules get broken? Rinkworks has a guide that explains why this kind of effect doesn't work.

Like Awaclus said, T-Rex's ability sounds like a drawback. I would try this:

T-Rex
+1 Card
Gain a T-Rex. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. Each player that you choose discards down to 2 cards in hand and then puts the revealed cards into his hand. The other players discard the 2 cards.
Cost: $4
Action - Attack

This way, it doesn't stink, because you can have the attack only affect players it would harm, and it doesn't have them draw more cards than they discarded.
Thanks for the help!

Water Mill
Would making this a non cantrip fix it? +2 cards like Moat perhaps?

Monastery
Ok, not being very familiar with the adventure cards, I didn't know this was the same thing. Sorry about that.

Zepppelin
Cost 5$
Action-Attack
Name a non-victory card in play. From the end of your buy phase to the start of your next turn, no one may buy that card. Zeppelin is not an action card during your next turn.

Does this fix it?

T-Rex
I think your fix is a great idea, I'll probably use that concept to repair the card.

All in all, thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:59:03 pm by Rafy235 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.