Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why did my Haven vanish on a Prince? Or was it a Goko glitch?  (Read 1629 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Why did my Haven vanish on a Prince? Or was it a Goko glitch?
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:42:18 am »

I was playing a game last night where I had Princed a haven.  I know in the past I've been screwed by princing an embargo (as it goes in the trash either way) But I don't see why the Haven only stayed for one turn and then left me with a Prince alone on the side.  I had expected I'd get +1 xard and an extra action, and instead I got :(

any insight?
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: Why did my Haven vanish on a Prince? Or was it a Goko glitch?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:39 am »
+5

From the FAQ on the wiki:

If you don't discard the Action then you stop playing it with Prince; Prince at that point is just set aside doing nothing for the rest of the game. That won't normally happen but will happen for example if the Action is a Feast or Mining Village and you trashed it, or if it's a Duration card and so it stayed in play, or if it's a Madman and was returned to its pile, or if it's an Island and was set aside, or if it's a card you put back on your deck with Scheme.

Prince does not work on durations because you don't discard durations from play at the end of each turn.

Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »

Also, remember that Prince says "setting it aside again if you discard it from play".  You don't discard Haven from play right away, so it doesn't get set aside.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 04:49:28 am »

At the end of the turn, Haven sets itself aside. Prince searches to see if Haven discarded from play, but it did not. It vanished, so Prince loses track of Haven. On the next turn when Haven returns, Prince does not recognize the returned Haven as the Haven that Prince initially set aside.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:30:59 am »
+4

At the end of the turn, Haven sets itself aside. Prince searches to see if Haven discarded from play, but it did not. It vanished, so Prince loses track of Haven. On the next turn when Haven returns, Prince does not recognize the returned Haven as the Haven that Prince initially set aside.

Haven doesn't set itself aside. It stays in play. This matters for understanding that Haven isn't played twice, but has a delayed effect set up when it is played once.

Personally i would have preferred if Prince just set its card aside as soon as it gets discarded (playing Haven every second turn), but Donald decided to check every turn and so Durations don't work at all. Obviously you can make an argument that it's less complicated this way.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.