Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Seaside: Treasure Map  (Read 24102 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside: Treasure Map
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 07:31:08 pm »

Missing from the article is Chancellor/TM. Not as good of an enabler as Warehouse is, but proper use of discard is significantly quicker than TM alone and allows for ridiculousness such as this turn 4 TM trashing.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120125-140652-1d307640.html

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19:14 am »

simulators prove that no Treasure Map-only strategy beats Big Money.
Not even "if you have exactly 4 on turn 3, buy TM with this and your next two 4-5 buys, except of course don't buy the third if you've already cashed in your first two, and after you cash in your first two, trash the third when it comes up, and otherwise play BM"?

I'm pretty sure that beats BM. I'm not sure whether it's better to keep going TM if you miss on turn 5 or to transition straight back into BM.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 05:35:29 am »

Had a decent game with TM/Loan the other day. I only bought a TM because my opponent did, and granted I got about as lucky as I good with it lining up. BUT I think trashing the coppers out with loan did improve both the value of the Gold and the smallness of my deck, so I can think of worse threes to open with. Just don't do what I did and play your loan on your TM turn (not that it mattered).

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120129-133437-2785a32e.html
Well, you got extremely lucky. I think simple Wharf/money is probably the best strategy here.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 06:12:53 am »

Treasure Map alone will actually beat Big Money about 50-40. There's just a play rule missing for the TM where it needs to be played as soon as there was a previous TM collision (to get rid of extra TM's that were bought). Expect the next release of the simulator to include the updated TM play rule.
As for getting $4 on your third turn: this adds 10% win rate against BMU (this can be tested by setting the "start state" to turn 3)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 10:10:20 am »

Just don't do what I did and play your loan on your TM turn

Why not? You have four golds on the deck. You need three to be guaranteed a province; so loan discarding one is okay, maybe even good because it helps you cycle back to the gold faster.
Agreed. In a colony game, don't; in a province game,do.

Even in a Colony game, it would be a smart move, if you plan on buying Platinum.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

barsooma

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:04 pm »

Just don't do what I did and play your loan on your TM turn

Why not? You have four golds on the deck. You need three to be guaranteed a province; so loan discarding one is okay, maybe even good because it helps you cycle back to the gold faster.
Agreed. In a colony game, don't; in a province game,do.

The consensus above seemed to be that in a colony game you want to be going for Platinum with your gold buy, so why not play the loan then as well?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 05:02:48 pm »
+1

rotundo

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »

There is a really easy way to pair up treasure maps - abuse an inn right before a reshuffle.

I was looking for Inn in there too. I didn't pull it off until Turn 9 here, but it worked pretty well in the end.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120212-173633-210df552.html

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 01:54:30 am »

theory is pretty much the man to petition here, but I wouldn't say no to adding a note on Inn to the article. Also, if it's really true that TM does beat BM that should be amended. But theory, I'm acually really flattered that you put my first-ever article on the blog at all.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.842 seconds with 20 queries.