Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stonemason/Apothecary w/ Vineyard  (Read 2025 times)

CavJes

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Stonemason/Apothecary w/ Vineyard
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:09:44 am »
+2

Code: [Select]
Vineyard, Chapel, Stonemason, Apothecary, Chancellor, Familiar, Advisor, Procession, Inn, Margrave
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150830/log.513d0dc8e4b024827a536733.1440990522498.txt

When I saw the board I figured I wouldn't have many opportunities to try this out as I don't own the necessary cards. I opt to completely ignore Familiar and only pick up a Chapel during the endgame off a Stonemason due to pile concerns, though likely would have picked up the latter sooner had my opponent gone for the former earlier. I figured I wanted the Coppers for economy and draw from Apothecary.

I open Potion/Silver and essentially aim to fill my deck with Stonemasons and Apothecaries, Advisors and the 5s instead when I can or need to. My opponent opts to go Silver/Chapel and trash down into a slim engine with Margrave and money to snag Provinces as he empties the Curse pile into my deck with a couple Familiars. I trash them occasionally only with Stonemasons when they line up. Then I use Apothecaries to line up SMs with other Apothecaries to trash into double Vineyards during the final shuffle.

My opponent resigns on turn 19 when he realizes what is happening, perhaps out of a feeling of helplessness, though he still had some pile control and I could have stalled (for all he knew though I could get 2 more Vineyards next turn).

What would you do here? It was a really fun game and would have been totally different in a mirror. I know I made some mistakes, including a misclick on turn 8 which resulted in getting 2 Stonemasons instead of 2 Apothecaries. I trashed an Estate for two Coppers at one point and bought Copper once or twice. Perhaps I should have ignored Silver as well though I was hoping to spike an early Margrave or Inn or both. Chapel even with Apothecaries?

Maybe someone will point out how Procession is integral in whatever strategy, but Advisor is easily spammable and doesn't collide with Apothecary whereas Margrave seemed meh for what I was doing due to SM and my endgame plan. Perhaps turning Advisors into Inns would be great, or just Processing Apothecaries for the draw and buying double 5s.

So it seemed like there were a lot of possibilities here and I chose what looked like the cleanest. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:44:24 am by CavJes »

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Stonemason/Apothecary w/ Vineyard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »

I think in a mirror the attacks are going to be more important, also I might open Chancellor instead of Silver since it can be Processioned.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

CavJes

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:09 pm »

I think in a mirror the attacks are going to be more important, also I might open Chancellor instead of Silver since it can be Processioned.

Even it's on-play is useful for shuffle control, especially for getting to the one or two Potions in a mirror. Maybe it's better to Chapel down and use Chancellor for economy. Thinning also improves Procession's chances of colliding enormously, which is why I avoided it without Chapel.

Getting up to Margrave looks better in a mirror and Inn can obviously be quite important throughout the game with attacks afoot. It seems mostly a question of if there's time for 5s after rushing Apothecaries(/Familiars), with the exception of Inn gains to kickoff.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:41:54 pm »
+1

Something that I didn't realize until I looked at the log was that apothecary + advisor is just poor. On turn 5 you play an apothecary, leave estate and apothecary on top of the deck, then you play an advisor and the opponent discards the apothecary. That's what the combo will give you. Also on turn 5 you buy a stonemason to gain two more of those advisors which brings me onto my other point.

I think you made a common stonemasons mistake of buying too many stonemasons (not just the turn 8 misclick). Sometimes you need to just buy a bigger card with the option to splitting it into two 'not quite so big' cards later. The stonemasons clogged up the apothecary drawing and so did the estates. On both turns 6 and 7 you could trash an estate and buy a familiar instead of trashing a copper and buying an apothecary.

CavJes

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:53:18 pm »

I hadn't realized the potential of getting Familiars to split down or curse at the worst. Seems like it would certainly smooth the build.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.