Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Death Knight/Monk/Demon Hunter Theorycrafting  (Read 1583 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Death Knight/Monk/Demon Hunter Theorycrafting
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »
+1

I know Blizzard has said they have no interest in releasing any new classes, but I think it would be fun/cool to round them out.  Their main beef is that it's pretty clear what all the current classes *do* - a new class would have to do something, well, interesting.

Here are my thoughts on at least hero powers for each:

Death Knight - Freeze! (2) - Freeze a character.  (JT: Frostbite - Freeze a character and deal 1 damage to it.)
Monk - Kung Fu (2) - +2 Attack this turn. (JT: Kung Fu Mastery - +3 Attack this turn.)
Demon Hunter - Stifle (2) - Silence a minion. (JT: Squelch - Silence a minion, then give it -1/-1.)

So with Death Knight, it would probably be a mix of Freeze Mage and Warlock - lots of Freeze stuff (is literally always able to Freeze someone), and has powerful things at the cost of self-abuse.  Has weapons, obviously, probably at least one that Freezes.  Probably a life steal ability or two.

Monk is basically the other side of the middle that Druid straddles with Warrior, which I think is probably balanced.  I have no idea what kind of cards he should have, though.

Demon Hunter is always able to Silence - Taunts mean less to him, and he can make use of cards like Ancient Watcher and Venture Co Mercenary that otherwise come with drawbacks.  Hell, he'd even like an Icehowl thrown in there.  I do have one card in mind for him - Mana Burn, (3), Overload 3 of the enemy hero's Mana Crystals, and deal 3 damage to him.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Death Knight/Monk/Demon Hunter Theorycrafting
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:59:39 pm »
+1

I think a better hero power for the Demon Hunter would be "give your hero +1 attack. Minions you damage this turn are silenced". It's more fair that way and doesn't make taunt useless against Demon Hunter. Not keen on a silencing hero power in general though.

Also freeze a character makes weapons really lame against Death Knight. Maybe limit it to minions or do the "+1 attack, characters damaged by your hero this turn are frozen."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:02:23 pm by markusin »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 09:58:47 pm »
+1

As a balancing note, all the current hero powers are balanced at the same power level as a 0 mana card, or a 2 mana card that draws a card. Two hero powers put together is a 1 mana card.

Mage = Moonfire, Shiv
Paladin = Wisp, Novice Engineer
Shaman = Training Dummy or Wisp
Rogue = Half a Paladin 1/4 Weapon
Druid = Half a Claw
Warrior
Warlock
Priest = Half a Flash Heal(ish)
Hunter = Half a Sinister Strike(ish)

Mage + Paladin = Elvish Archer

You can use this to extrapolate potential hero powers. Any current 0 mana spell, or 2 mana cantrip, or 1 mana card that you can subtract a hero power from, is about on the level of a hero power. (Not that it would definitely make a GOOD hero power. But power level is close.)

For monk I like Shadowstep as a hero power, personally. Someone could get Silence, or Backstab (probably oppressive?).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:00:50 pm by Drab Emordnilap »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:04:55 pm »

That's why I picked Silence for Demon Hunter.  Then with the Justicar upgrade, it basically becomes Earth Shock.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:09:16 am »

I'm not big on a silence hero power either. It ruins too many decks I think. Also Priest power is a bit strong to compensate for the fact that they can't just tap it for an effect all the time. Turn 2 all other classes can just hit the button, but Priest can't.

Monk and 2 dmg is waaaay to good. Kills all 3/2's. Freezing a character is also too good. That means weapon classes vs. Death Knight stand no chance. So Warrior just dies to it since a lot of removal is in Fiery Wat Axe and Death's Bite.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.