Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First game engine  (Read 7154 times)

NateDominion

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
First game engine
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:57 am »

I tried the first game engine against a BM player for the first time last night. I lost because often times before I got to the draw entire deck stage of it I ended up with  terminal collision problems, leading me to not buy anything some turns. Is there an efficient way to trash things like estates and some coppers (replacing the coppers with silvers) to get to the draw entire deck stage quicker?

Thanks,
Nate

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: First game engine
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:36 am »
+2

I tried the first game engine against a BM player for the first time last night. I lost because often times before I got to the draw entire deck stage of it I ended up with  terminal collision problems, leading me to not buy anything some turns. Is there an efficient way to trash things like estates and some coppers (replacing the coppers with silvers) to get to the draw entire deck stage quicker?

Thanks,
Nate

There is no way to be absolutely safe. If you get terrible luck a deck with terminals will always* lose to a money-based deck. Especially if you play with cards that require "friends" (Moneylender requires copper, Remodel loves Estates, Baron requires Estate, ...) However, also after you decide to go for "terminals" or "engine" or whatever you'd like to call it, you can play it safer or riskier. What riskier or safer implies depends a lot on the kingdom, but in the first game engine it mainly comes down to the number of Villages you play with. Do you barely have enough or do you have a lot of them?

A trap you should prevent is buying too many terminals. Workshop, Mine, Militia are all cards you want only one of. Remodel you also want one of, although maybe very close to the end a second one. It is much better to have one Mine and play it every turn because you're flooded with Villages+Smithies that draw your entire deck every turn, then to have multiple Mines you can't all play anyway.

If you want more advice, you should describe in more detail what you tried.

* bla bla edgecase bla bla
Join the Dominion League!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:43:41 am »

You recommend picking up a Workshop?  I usually skip it, and just get the Remodel.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:06 am »

You recommend picking up a Workshop?  I usually skip it, and just get the Remodel.

I would get both.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:11 am »

Skipping it is certainly not a big mistake on that board, but I think getting one is slightly better.
Join the Dominion League!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:22:21 am »

I assume this is the kingdom:

Cellar, Market, Militia, Mine, Moat, Remodel, Smithy, Village, Woodcutter, Workshop

NateDominion

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:15 am »

I assume this is the kingdom:

Cellar, Market, Militia, Mine, Moat, Remodel, Smithy, Village, Woodcutter, Workshop
Yup

NateDominion

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:38:28 am »

Thanks,
Nate

There is no way to be absolutely safe. If you get terrible luck a deck with terminals will always* lose to a money-based deck. Especially if you play with cards that require "friends" (Moneylender requires copper, Remodel loves Estates, Baron requires Estate, ...) However, also after you decide to go for "terminals" or "engine" or whatever you'd like to call it, you can play it safer or riskier. What riskier or safer implies depends a lot on the kingdom, but in the first game engine it mainly comes down to the number of Villages you play with. Do you barely have enough or do you have a lot of them?

A trap you should prevent is buying too many terminals. Workshop, Mine, Militia are all cards you want only one of. Remodel you also want one of, although maybe very close to the end a second one. It is much better to have one Mine and play it every turn because you're flooded with Villages+Smithies that draw your entire deck every turn, then to have multiple Mines you can't all play anyway.

If you want more advice, you should describe in more detail what you tried.

* bla bla edgecase bla bla
I didn't even buy a mine or workshop. I'm using geronimoo's first game engine. Also, is opening militia silver or remodel silver better?

NateDominion

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:06 am »

Skipping it is certainly not a big mistake on that board, but I think getting one is slightly better.
Best time to get one?

NateDominion

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:58 am »

I would get both.
When would you get a workshop?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:59:02 am »

I'd open Remodel/Workshop, looking to buy/gain/remodel into a bunch of Villages and Smithies. The only Silvers that are entering my deck will come from Mine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 11:08:14 am »

I'd open Remodel/Workshop, looking to buy/gain/remodel into a bunch of Villages and Smithies. The only Silvers that are entering my deck will come from Mine.

This.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »

This.
Yeah this is how I like to approach the first game engine. You don't need to rush to get Militia either. Set up the draw first.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »

I usually open Remodel/Silver to get a Mine earlier, either by buying it or Remodeling Silver into one, if I get an unlucky Remodel hand.  If I were playing an actually competent player, as opposed to teaching a new one, I'd probably do Remodel/Workshop as well to snag as many Villages as possible.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 06:43:02 pm »

I usually open Remodel/Silver to get a Mine earlier, either by buying it or Remodeling Silver into one, if I get an unlucky Remodel hand.  If I were playing an actually competent player, as opposed to teaching a new one, I'd probably do Remodel/Workshop as well to snag as many Villages as possible.

Well, the goal of Remodel/Workshop is to gain Villages and Smithies as fast as possible to set up the draw engine. Mine is more like a payload card on this board. It's not exactly a payload because you do want Mine early, but by the time you get Mine you should expect to be able to play it almost every turn.

Edit: So what I'm really saying is, yes, Remodel/Silver is better for early Mine, but you don't want Mine that early, which is why I prefer Remodel/Workshop.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:45:30 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 08:30:15 am »

So what I'm really saying is, yes, Remodel/Silver is better for early Mine, but you don't want Mine that early, which is why I prefer Remodel/Workshop.
Agreed. With Remodel/Workshop, though, my hands pretty much never pull more than $4 cash, until the deck takes off and I'm suddenly drawing the whole deck and hitting $9. So, I always buy the first market before mine.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 11:30:04 pm »

Do you pick up a woodcutter so you can double province, or can you just mine all the way up to gold and remodel golds into provinces?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 12:31:38 am »
+2

Do you pick up a woodcutter so you can double province, or can you just mine all the way up to gold and remodel golds into provinces?

You can pick up a Market to double province.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 12:32:35 am »

You buy Market. Market's presence makes getting Woodcutter very likely suboptimal.

Edit: Ninja'd

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 07:03:48 am »

I remember that Woodcutter was the only card the optimized first game engine bot did not use. With Remodel, (possibly) Workshop, Mine, Militia and a bunch of Smithies your deck is full of terminals already, so you definitely prefer a non-terminal for the +Buy.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 04:52:52 pm »

I think Moat was also not used.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 05:11:31 pm »

I think Moat was also not used.
I'm curious if the Moat is sometimes a correct purchase in 3+ player games. Probably not for the engine, but maybe for more simple strategies that don't try to fight for engine pieces.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 03:25:10 pm »

You can pick up a Market to double province.
Oh, derp.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 20 queries.