Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2P Tournament. Cincinnati, OH. Sat. Oct. 10 1PM. All expansions  (Read 12147 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+4

This thing happened once, and now it's gonna happen again, only better!

I'll be hosting a Dominion Tournament on Saturday, October 10, 2015 at Game Swap in Mason, OH. You should totally go. The address is 1065 Reading Rd. / Mason, OH 45040 The tournament will start at 1PM, the Swiss rounds should be done by 5PM (maybe earlier) and the tournament should be over by 7PM (maybe earlier).

There will be at 4 or 5 rounds of Swiss play, followed by an elimination round of 4 or 8 players (these numbers depend on how many people enter the tournament). ALL GAMES WILL BE 2-PLAYER GAMES (unless an odd number of people are present, in which case we'll have a single 3-player game). For this reason, the tournament is not "officially sanctioned by RGG" and I won't be able to qualify you for the World Nationals at GenCon next year from this particular tournament. Every player is guaranteed at least 4 games in the tournament.

The kingdoms for this tournament will not be "designed," but rather they will be randomly generated from all expansions with some filtering and tweaking done by myself and perhaps a few others to meet some constraints (how many copies of each card we have, not using some cards which won't be good for a tournament setting, removing BM+Embassy mirrors or Goons/money/Colony boards, that kind of thing). The point of this is that I want the kingdoms we use to *feel like* full-random kingdoms, just without any that are totally lame or might take forever to play.

I have some leftover Walled Village promos from the last tournament I can give out as door prizes, those will be first-come-first-served.

The entry fee will be $5. For each entry into the tournament, $4 will be put into the prize pool. All prizes will be given in store credit. The top three (or four) players will be given portions of the prize pool (depending on how many people enter).

If you're planning to attend, contact the tournament moderator Adam Horton (me) at adam@adamhorton.com (or send me a forum PM) -- this is not required but can guarantee you a spot in the tournament and it will assist with planning. Feel free to send any questions there as well. You can also just reply to this thread, I'll be following it  :) As this is a 2P tournament, the maximum size I can accommodate is actually limited now, so this may be a good idea to do.

If you want to hang out afterwards, there will be the normal game night for the local boardgaming group I'm an admin of, we usually have a turnout of about 15-20 people without anything special going on. I hope to see lots of you there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:08:49 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
Re: 2P Tournament. Cincinnati, OH. Sat. Aug. 10 1PM. All expansions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:07:38 am »
+1

Probably want to edit the post title (August 10 is long-gone) - and now I'm looking at this calendar and trying to figure out if it's possible.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: 2P Tournament. Cincinnati, OH. Sat. Aug. 10 1PM. All expansions
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:09:13 am »

Probably want to edit the post title (August 10 is long-gone) - and now I'm looking at this calendar and trying to figure out if it's possible.

Thanks for catching that. It's been fixed, and +1 for you ;D

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: 2P Tournament. Cincinnati, OH. Sat. Oct. 10 1PM. All expansions
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:34 am »
+1

Oh I'm in.  Putting it down on my calendar.  Know of any cheap hotels in the area?

Do you need more info in a PM?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:15 am »

Oh I'm in.  Putting it down on my calendar.  Know of any cheap hotels in the area?

Do you need more info in a PM?

This will work, I'll mark you down for the tournament.

As for hotels, I'll put some suggestions in a PM to you.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:09 am »
+5

OK, I suppose I'll tease this here, though let me be clear: all of the details of this haven't been worked out and it may not happen for this tournament, but it's at least in the works.

For the elimination part of the tournament, I plan to have a "feature match" which will be live-streamed with commentary. The store has a setup where they will live-stream games from their MtG tournaments and I should be able to use this for Dominion. I will post more details when/if I have them.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »

Are you absolutely positive you don't mean Sunday, October 11th?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:01:45 pm »

Are you absolutely positive you don't mean Sunday, October 11th?

I can host a 2-person tournament that day with you and me :P

...but the venue is much cooler with Saturdays than Sundays :-\

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »
+1

On a more serious note, good luck with the tournament, and to everyone participating.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:45:20 pm »

One of these days, there will actually be a Dominion event on the West Coast.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 07:47:47 pm »

It actually isn't all that hard to put one together. Jay at RGG is really good about responding and he was very helpful. The main snag people come across is a venue that will have them, and then space issues.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »

It actually isn't all that hard to put one together. Jay at RGG is really good about responding and he was very helpful. The main snag people come across is a venue that will have them, and then space issues.

And as cool as it sounds to have RGG involvement, it also isn't necessary. You can just go for it! (Though it's awesome RGG is supportive)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »
+3

The kingdoms for this tournament will not be "designed," but rather they will be randomly generated from all expansions with some filtering and tweaking done by myself and perhaps a few others to meet some constraints (how many copies of each card we have, not using some cards which won't be good for a tournament setting, removing BM+Embassy mirrors or Goons/money/Colony boards, that kind of thing). The point of this is that I want the kingdoms we use to *feel like* full-random kingdoms, just without any that are totally lame or might take forever to play.

"Funny how none of my randomly-designed kingdoms ended up with Black Market, Tournament, Knights or Urchin in them! Oh well, I guess we can keep those cards in the box."
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »

"Funny how none of my randomly-designed kingdoms ended up with Black Market, Tournament, Knights or Urchin in them! Oh well, I guess we can keep those cards in the box."

...and Ambassador and Hunting Party won't make it in either. I mean, yeah I won't be including those cards because they're awful (Urchin might make it in, I dunno) but there are lots of considerations for IRL games. It's actually kind of an interesting set of constraints to choose kingdoms. If you can't make it to this tournament, maybe you want to help me with the kingdoms when it comes time for that?

For right now I'm going to do some research into my Excel sheet to try and automate pairing people for the Swiss part of the tournament :P

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 10:03:04 pm »

And as cool as it sounds to have RGG involvement, it also isn't necessary. You can just go for it! (Though it's awesome RGG is supportive)

The hard parts are
1. I don't know people here who play Dominion regularly. I know people who have played once or twice, but I'm not part of any local board gaming groups (which I'm sure exist)
2. I own no sets in real life.
3. We could get around that by meeting in person and playing on Goko (which is kind of silly), but I don't even own sets on Goko.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 10:48:00 pm »
+1

...and Ambassador and Hunting Party won't make it in either. I mean, yeah I won't be including those cards because they're awful (Urchin might make it in, I dunno) but there are lots of considerations for IRL games. It's actually kind of an interesting set of constraints to choose kingdoms. If you can't make it to this tournament, maybe you want to help me with the kingdoms when it comes time for that?

For right now I'm going to do some research into my Excel sheet to try and automate pairing people for the Swiss part of the tournament :P

I'm too far away to join in, so I'd be happy to help out with kingdoms if you need it. Just send a message my way. (Not sure how much you'll be doing with them since they will be mostly random.)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 11:11:56 pm »

I'd also be happy to bring my set with me to make card access less of an obstacle.  I have all sets, no promos, all sleeved.  They aren't organized in ways that make picking a specific set out easy, but it can be done.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 06:03:03 am »

I'd also be happy to bring my set with me to make card access less of an obstacle.  I have all sets, no promos, all sleeved.  They aren't organized in ways that make picking a specific set out easy, but it can be done.

The useful things to bring would be Dark Ages, Guilds, and Adventures, but most of all the base cards (Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse; enough for a 2P game) -- once I have kingdoms I could potentially tell you specific cards to bring but I probably shouldn't do that.

What kind of sleeves do you have? Fantasy Flight?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 07:06:22 am »

I could sort my cards out for the tournament, and I have all those sets. I also have 3 full sets of base cards in various states of wear. I use Mayday Games sleeves (not the premium ones)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 10:37:11 am »

i'm real surprised at ambassador and especially hunting party

guessing the former is just because it makes games take forever? a shame, since i think it's one of the more skill-based cards in the game.  and the only thing i can think of for the latter is all the shuffling it leads to?  wouldn't scrying pool have similar issues if that's the case?

god, dominion really is so much better suited for online play, isn't it...

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

i'm real surprised at ambassador and especially hunting party

guessing the former is just because it makes games take forever? a shame, since i think it's one of the more skill-based cards in the game.  and the only thing i can think of for the latter is all the shuffling it leads to?  wouldn't scrying pool have similar issues if that's the case?

god, dominion really is so much better suited for online play, isn't it...

Ambassador for game length, and Hunting Party because it's a giant pain to dig through your deck -- it's easy for new players to accidentally play it incorrectly without supervision. Same might end up happening for Golem and stuff. I just don't want anything too terribly complex or counter-intuitive.

That isn't to say that Ambassador is totally off the table, but there are extra considerations for IRL tournament play that don't really enter the equation online.

If you want to be a part of the kingdom refining process, let me know! :)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 11:19:35 am »
+1

It's not a super long drive from Detroit to Cinci, I might be able to make it! I will edit my post in a few hours after talking to some people and checking my calander to give a definite answer.
Thanks for putting this together Adam!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 11:21:15 am »
+1

It's not a super long drive from Detroit to Cinci, I might be able to make it! I will edit my post in a few hours after talking to some people and checking my calander to give a definite answer.
Thanks for putting this together Adam!

The last two years, plus this year, I've made the drive to Detroit for U-Con. It's only 4.5 hours (with me driving, probably a little less than 4 hours with most people), totally worth it ;D

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 09:33:30 am »
+1

thanks a lot adam, but i definitely don't feel qualified for something like this haha. only played IRL a couple times

just interesting to see the concessions you have to make for this to work

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 03:45:26 pm »
+1

Ugh. I would take a vacation day off work for this if I weren't already taking a personal day off for a wedding.

thanks a lot adam, but i definitely don't feel qualified for something like this haha. only played IRL a couple times

just interesting to see the concessions you have to make for this to work

What? My plan would have been to lose immediately and stick around for the rest. I don't see the issue here.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.