Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Patron  (Read 10332 times)

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Patron
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:29:53 am »
+2

Patron (Action-Reaction) 4$
Gain a card costing up to $4.

When you play a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, add 1 to the number in one [coin icon] on that card until it has been resolved.

With Patron, you can turn a Remodel into an Expand, double the effect of a Bridge/Highway, add +1 to a +coin, etc. Also combines well with itself.

The reaction part is something I've never seen before and I think will be a lot of fun. At worst, this card is a copper.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:26:15 am by beri »

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: Patron
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:41:14 am »

Cool concept if not a bit powerful  A hand of all Patrons could also get a Province.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:01:01 am »

I think if you have a hand full of Patrons, it means you are extremely lucky or have trashed your deck so intensely you mostly have Patrons in it. In the latter case, it is very likely that you have non-Patron, non-Treasure trashers in your deck and you do gain a Province. Both facts make it unlikely that you will trigger that combo more than once.

*I no longer play with the printed Chapel. If I do, I prefer to playtest a softer version (trash this and up to 2 cards in your hand).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:02:20 am by beri »

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:24:18 am »
+4

Neat.

• Comboes nicely with Vault to get you a Province (discard a Patron, +2 cards, discard the rest of your hand for $10). Tactician is capable of doing the same, so it's not broken in itself. Storeroom, Artificer or Secret Chamber would only net you $6 unless you've got some other draw around.
  • Use Patrons to empty the Patron pile, then Graverobber them directly into Provinces. I suspect it might still be too slow, but I'd certainly give it a go for the novelty of it.
  • Saboteur becomes even nastier, skipping anything less than $4 or only giving them something worth $3 less in exchange.
  • What happens if I use it on Bridge Troll, since there isn't a "-$2 token" to give them?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:12:35 am by GeeJo »

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:18:24 am »

Oh, I didn't think about the "1 coin per..." cards, sure that could be very strong.
As far as I understand, you could get a Province with Artificer and Patron, Artificer being a cantrip.

It would obviously not work with Bridge troll.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:33:08 am »
+1

I think it needs an "until it leaves play", otherwise the card keeps the buff forever and that would be impossible to track.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:08 am »

How would that affect the interaction with Feast, since it would no longer be in play when you're gaining the card?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:04:17 am »
+14

Cool concept if not a bit powerful  A hand of all Patrons could also get a Province.

So can a hand of all Silvers.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:49 am »
+2

How would that affect the interaction with Feast, since it would no longer be in play when you're gaining the card?

It would mean it has no effect on Feast at all.

Personally, i'm not a fan of card concepts that rely that much on wording. It's a little too meta for my liking, and also doesn't necessarily work with foreign versions of Dominion. For example, one country may translate Salvager as "+ per the trashed card costed". I guess this isn't really an issue fan cards need to consider, though. Makes me think, what happens if i try to apply the to Salvager's " equal to its cost"? And, if i apply this to Bridges "but not less than ", does Copper start costing ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:14:59 am by Asper »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:04:23 am »
+1

Look, you're assuming we all agree Silver is a well designed card.  A bit presumptuous, don't you think?

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 07:06:51 pm »

Oh I know.  I was just making an interesting observation.  Lol.
Bank and Forager doe.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:12:03 pm by shmeur »
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 07:26:34 pm »
+6

Look, you're assuming we all agree Silver is a well designed card.  A bit presumptuous, don't you think?

Yeah, it's as if Donald went looking for a treasure card that produced an amount of coins that was halfway between √2 and e, and then assigned this value to a card costing roughly π. Very irrational of him. 

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:00 am »

If it reads "until it leaves play", it would have no effect on Feast, and I want it to have an effect on Feast.

Can't see why "until it leaves play" is necessary.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:23:30 am by beri »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 04:46:38 am »

Because if it doesn't have "until it leaves play", the effect is permanent. When you shuffle it into your deck, it still has the increased value. The next time you draw it, it still has the increased value, but you have no idea if that card is the one with the increased value or another copy of the same card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 05:30:59 am »

Because if it doesn't have "until it leaves play", the effect is permanent. When you shuffle it into your deck, it still has the increased value. The next time you draw it, it still has the increased value, but you have no idea if that card is the one with the increased value or another copy of the same card.
Why not "until it is resolved"?  Coin of the Realm says it's OK to have things happen when action cards finish resolving.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 06:23:17 am »

Why not "until it is resolved"?  Coin of the Realm says it's OK to have things happen when action cards finish resolving.

That probably works.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 07:31:20 am »

The difference between "until it leaves play" and "until it is resolved" should also matter for Throne Room variants. An "in play" version would alter the value for all plays.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 07:45:02 am »
+2

The difference between "until it leaves play" and "until it is resolved" should also matter for Throne Room variants. An "in play" version would alter the value for all plays.

It also matters for things like Highway.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58:10 am »

Good point, though i think that's undesireable. How about simply "until the end of the turn"? Doesn't completely work with Durations, but i think neither does "until it is resolved". At least Royal Carriage's interaction with Durations makes me think that.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 10:02:56 am »
+1

Good point, though i think that's undesireable. How about simply "until the end of the turn"? Doesn't completely work with Durations, but i think neither does "until it is resolved". At least Royal Carriage's interaction with Durations makes me think that.

"Until the end of the turn" could in principle run into problems with Procession–Graverobber situations.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 10:43:27 am »

"Until the end of the turn" could in principle run into problems with Procession–Graverobber situations.

I guess it also makes it sound as if it applied to all copies of that card... Ah well, they can't all be the best wording suggestions ever.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 08:20:29 pm »

Pirate Ship+Patron could be nice. Like, you only have to play 3 Pirate Ships for attack before you can get a Patron+Pirate Ship+2 for Province. And, Patron gets you more Pirate Ships, or even more Patrons if you start colliding.

Trade Route+Patron also sort of works, but you need to buy Victory cards, meaning you'll be really slow.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 06:25:32 am »

Playtested twice yesterday.

First game, there were bunches of terminal $4 including Ironworks, only one $5 and one $6, so Patron was useless.

Second game, $5-cost cards included Horn of plenty, IGG, Inn.
I often used Patron with Altar and Horn of plenty, mainly to gain Gold. It worked pretty well. From time to time, I had no better use than boost basic Treasure cards.

I'm pretty sure a really good player would have spammed Patrons to empty the Patron and IGG piles, thus ending the game.

Good card, liked it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:26:46 am by beri »

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 01:53:41 pm »

Would it be too strong if Patron added 1 to any number on a card?

I'm thinking about Cellar, Storeroom, Throne room/KC but I may forget about other cards that might make it overpowered.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 01:59:39 pm »

Would it be too strong if Patron added 1 to any number on a card?

I'm thinking about Cellar, Storeroom, Throne room/KC but I may forget about other cards that might make it overpowered.

I would argue "twice" isn't a number. 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.654 seconds with 20 queries.