Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your Adventures experiences  (Read 3386 times)

papadjango

• Baron
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Your Adventures experiences
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:40:03 am »
+1

Since we in Austria/Europe can't buy th Adventures expansion until early September I would like to know the opinions of players who had already some experience with it.
What do you think? Is it a great/not so great expansion? Does it give you a new kick in playing dominion? or does it make things over-complicated with all the mats an tokens?
I am eagerly awaiting your opinion before I buy it nevertheless.  ;)

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
Re: Your Adventures experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:46:48 am »

I love adventures so far. It was a bit much in the beginning with all the new tokens and mats, but when playing it is pretty easy to keep track of (if you don't forget to exchange your Traveler and to buy Events). And the new concepts are really fun to play with and really do change the game quite a bit, which makes for an interesting 'new' game.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:42:42 am »

Adventures is wonderful. There are so many cool and complex interactions at play. The attacks are some of the most balanced in the game - neither too weak not too crippling. There's just so much in the expansion; you'll definitely want to pick it up
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:07:38 am »

I'd say Adventures is definitely my favourite expansion, but it's also pretty approachable for casual gamers, moreso than say Dark Ages.

papadjango

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:57:44 pm »

Thanks for all the contributions. Eagerly awaiting to play with Adventures.  :P

papadjango

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:04:53 am »
+1

Now I've played my first sessions with Adventures I completely agree with you all.
Very interesting new combinations, great innovations with events and, last but not least, great artwork. i think in common these are the best drawn cards. :D

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:41:44 am »
+3

I played a really crazy Adventures game yesterday. Kingdom was:

Page
Royal Carriage
Treasure Trove
Storyteller
Armory
Feodum
Mystic
Festival
Outpost
Pearl Diver
<i>Pathfinding
Travelling Fair
Shelters</i>

With about half the kingdom (including events) being cards I've never used, and another 1/4 being Dark Ages which I've had more limited experience with, and finally it being a four player game, I felt a little lost looking at this, not really sure what would work well and what wouldn't. I eventually decided, okay, Feodum has some decent support here - Treasure Hunter can gain a few silvers at a time, Travelling Fair can let me go double Silver or double Feodum or some combination if I draw $8-10, Armory can gain Silvers and/or Feodums and I guess the occasional Warrior play might just turn a few Feodums into more Silvers, and I'll likely grab a few Provinces/Duchies along the way too.

Well, turns out I massively underestimate what Warrior can do, as well as how choked up the travellers can become. The player to my left had a bunch of Pages, which he Pathfound, along with a Champion and I think three Warriors. With most of the treasure hunters constantly being in people's decks, Pages got quite stuck, and many Warriors didn't convert to Heros except a Champion each. Warriors started trashing all the Treasure Hunters quickly, and I found myself with only a single Hero and Pages for my travellers, with no way to convert further. The player on my left then, with just a few turns left, started trashing insane numbers of cards with Warriors each turn - I think he was revealing about 15 cards per turn for the last two turns. At this point the Silver pile was basically out as well. On those last two turns I think I trashed three Feodums (at least one or two for no Silvers back) and a total of about 10 Silver. The game ended on Silver/Feodum/Page piles emptying, and having spent most of the game building up Silvers/Feodums, I ended with three Feodums each worth 1 point. I still won though, but only by a single point (the player on my left thought he had a lead - if he'd waited one more turn he'd have won for certain).

It was a crazy game, and man I'm not going to underestimate Warrior again.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 03:40:27 pm »

Yes, 15 cards a turn is actually VERY doable with Warriors, especially if you have a good token to incentivize extra Pages. If Peasant is on the board as well, you should expect a major volume of Travellers in play, and therefore put the Page line at the top of your priority list. If the Warriors kick off before you get your Champion, that will obliterate a substantial section of your deck in a handful of turns.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »

I just got adventures, and had a Chapel/Stables/Treasure Trove/Bridge Troll/Peasant Board. I ended up playing Disciple on Stables lots of times, buying a few Treasure Troves, and then getting 5 bridge trolls, then buying out half the provinces. (in a 4-player game) It was fun, and Disciple seems almost as good as Teacher to me. Throne Room plus gain a card up to $5 together is simply nuts.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.548 seconds with 20 queries.