Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Goko Down For Maintenance  (Read 23543 times)

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
Goko Down For Maintenance
« on: August 21, 2015, 01:20:31 pm »

I was in the middle of game (in the middle of my turn, incidentally) when my internet froze, I refreshed page and Dominion Online is "down for maintenance."  Not only am I sad that the game is down, but how does the dropped game get handled? Does either me or my opponent get stuck with a loss or quit?
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Down For Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:45 pm »
+2

I think those games just get wiped from existence, so that officially they never even started.

But in the end it's Goko, so who knows, they might even assign the win to a random player who wasn't in the game.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:31:03 pm »
+4

I think those games just get wiped from existence, so that officially they never even started.

But in the end it's Goko, so who knows, they might even assign the win to a random player who wasn't in the game.

Man, I get that it's cool to make fun of Making Fun, but honestly, I feel like they're putting in a serious effort to do right by Dominion as a whole. So it's a little sad to me to see that they're still stuck being the butt of jabs like this, when they're doing the best they can with the legacy software while working on the new client.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:31:25 pm »
+9

Man, I get that it's cool to make fun of Making Fun, but honestly, I feel like they're putting in a serious effort to do right by Dominion as a whole. So it's a little sad to me to see that they're still stuck being the butt of jabs like this, when they're doing the best they can with the legacy software while working on the new client.

My innocent dig was squarely aimed at the old version (note the word "Goko" in my post), so while throwing your body between my joke and your favorite developer is a very noble gesture, it completely misses the point.

As for your actual statement: I fully disagree. While I have little reason to doubt that MF's staff consists entirely of hard-working and well-meaning people, ever since my brief stint in the private beta (and allegedly since long before) they have been proving over and over again to be way out of their depth when it comes to addressing (and in many cases even comprehending) the serious issues a large part of their userbase has with their software. The fact that many of us still prefer the "legacy software"—itself ia horrible piece of utter junk—should underline that.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 09:25:34 am »
+1

I like the new client.  It's an improvement over the old one for me, and a vast improvement over the old one for new players.  Perhaps some people are still having performance issues.  What are the other outstanding problems?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:42:47 am »
+3

I like the new client.  It's an improvement over the old one for me, and a vast improvement over the old one for new players.  Perhaps some people are still having performance issues.  What are the other outstanding problems?

The biggest problems for me are:
1) It's slow to play (not a performance issue). The cards flying around takes a long time, there are noticeable pauses after performing certain types of actions just so animations can complete, it's really annoying. Some of the cards that reveal or move through a bunch of cards make this ridiculous (Golem, HP).
2) Still no way to see all relevant game data at once (buys, coin tokens, mat stuff etc.)
3) I have a hard time reading their sidelog, but maybe I'll get used to this.
4) All the weird interface things (like dragging cards) that they inexplicably aped from the Goko version.
5) The thing is still ugly (animations, avatars, sidelog colors).

There are other things too (would like a global lobby), but I think they'll address some of them. I hope some of the things I listed above get changed too, but I don't know if they will. The worst problems to me are the ones where they copied something from the Goko version and then somehow managed to make it worse (card animations).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:46:31 am by Mic Qsenoch »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 11:18:27 am »
+1

Thanks MicQ.  (1) can be a problem (if I buy as fast as I can after playing Treasures I normally zoom in on the card) but I haven't noticed that it's so much worse than Goko.  (2) is ridiculous but as you note not an entirely new problem.  I sort of agree with (3), but it's much better than the existing native log and I'd hope that MF could be persuaded to try something more readable.  (4) is again annoying but not new.  (5) is subjective: I agree that the avatars and log colours are not great, but I don't see the avatars as a priority.  The animations don't  seem over the top to me, and some of them are kind of cool (the ravens when you get cursed).  I also expect the animations to increase the perceived quality of the game to new players.  I want Dominion to be successful, and new players are the most important consideration there.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:47:24 am »
+7

Thanks MicQ.  (1) can be a problem (if I buy as fast as I can after playing Treasures I normally zoom in on the card) but I haven't noticed that it's so much worse than Goko.  (2) is ridiculous but as you note not an entirely new problem.  I sort of agree with (3), but it's much better than the existing native log and I'd hope that MF could be persuaded to try something more readable.  (4) is again annoying but not new.  (5) is subjective: I agree that the avatars and log colours are not great, but I don't see the avatars as a priority.  The animations don't  seem over the top to me, and some of them are kind of cool (the ravens when you get cursed).  I also expect the animations to increase the perceived quality of the game to new players.  I want Dominion to be successful, and new players are the most important consideration there.

The most annoying thing to me is that many of these are not new, but since they did rewrite the thing in a different code they must have redone the work to implement these features badly. It's all seemed like a wasted opportunity. I realize redesigning some things is more work that just copying the previous design, but something like buttons vs dragging just shows they weren't considering a lot of simple fixes.

Everyone always says that new players crave animations, but I just don't believe it in general. I don't think the animations do a very good job of communicating anything (the flying cards confuse me). And to me these animations add to the overall visual aesthetic of "cheap looking". Everyone will feel differently about this, but I don't accept the idea that any set of animations is automatically better than none for attracting new players.

And I'd be happy with animations (even if I thought they were kind of ugly) if they didn't hold up playing the game or I could turn them off.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
+6

The old Goko client is a very low standard to compare to. MF said they were going for a redesign from scratch, yet their new client shares most of the design flaws of Goko's version. Even if it is an improvement, it's the completely wrong approach. It's not worth it trying to repair Goko's design.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 11:31:03 pm »

The old Goko client is a very low standard to compare to. MF said they were going for a redesign from scratch, yet their new client shares most of the design flaws of Goko's version. Even if it is an improvement, it's the completely wrong approach. It's not worth it trying to repair Goko's design.

MF did not written everything from scratch.
Some of that is still Goko code.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:13:17 am by yed »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:18 am »
+1

The new version is not an improvement for me. Do they have a ranking system in place? Does it still count bots towards that ranking. I notice a very different quality of play and opponents when I can set my rating bar to isotropic ratings vs. Goko ratings.

The whole shrinking thing when you bring out the log sucks.

Why in the world is my hand so f'ing big? That space should be used for play space or something. Like really.

Also, a lot of crap from Goko is carried over such as the whole dragging thing.

Honestly, I have not played on MF much because it is a bad experience for me every time I give it a try.

And, if we are talking about making the thing new player friendly, they need to implement an offline bot play thing so that when the mobile version comes out, people who find it in the APP store don't make an uproar and leave bad ratings and give up on it altogether.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »
+6

MF did not written everything from scratch.
Some of that is still Goko code.

My understanding is that only the AI remains intact from 1.0. Everything is was rewritten.

It's illogical to claim that the number of people still playing on 1.0 is consequent to their (presumed) opinion on 2.0. This forum hosts of number of devotees and diehards that I would speculate is not representative of the many casual players, people with whom I primarily interact via email when they need support. They tend not to frequent forums in my experience. Many casual players will stay on 1.0 out of habit and the convenience of web play which is certainly friendlier to casual and new players.

If you only play a little and have the same reaction to the animations, of course your opinion doesn't change. I've played enough now that I don't notice them. When the game first went into public beta, the animations were harsh, and they're better now. I see a lot of hasty judgment being passed by people who formed an opinion and revisit the game only long enough to reinforce that opinion. Look at where we've gone in the 10 weeks since the game went into public beta.

Leaderboard is being worked on now. The Kingdom builder has been very thoroughly scoped, and work will start on it soon, if it hasn't already. Tablet and web builds are also being worked on. Hopefully, we'll win over the skeptics from the devoted fanbase that this sort of forum represents. For now, I hope you'll consider what has been accomplished with 2.0 to date.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 05:46:01 pm »
+10

If you only play a little and have the same reaction to the animations, of course your opinion doesn't change. I've played enough now that I don't notice them. When the game first went into public beta, the animations were harsh, and they're better now. I see a lot of hasty judgment being passed by people who formed an opinion and revisit the game only long enough to reinforce that opinion. Look at where we've gone in the 10 weeks since the game went into public beta.

You don't have any idea whether people who dislike the animations have played a lot or a little on the most recent client versions. I've played dozens of games on the new client in the last couple of weeks and the animations still bother me, you shouldn't just dismiss these concerns out of hand. And "you'll get used to this thing you don't like eventually" is a terrible terrible approach to designing the client, even though it's 100% true for people who are invested enough in the game to keep using a client they find obnoxious.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 06:08:11 pm »
+5

My understanding is that only the AI remains intact from 1.0. Everything is was rewritten.
Why did you make the new interface you wrote so similar to  the one Goko had, without even considering features you were planning to add, such as the side-log?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:12:10 pm by Watno »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 06:33:40 pm »

Your response to disillusioned customers is "increase your exposure to our terrible product and you might grow numb to its flaws"? Come on, you can't be serious...

And fwiw, I played over 8k games on the webversion and my hatred of the slow and unintuitive UI has only grown fiercer with time.

If you only play a little and have the same reaction to the animations, of course your opinion doesn't change. I've played enough now that I don't notice them. When the game first went into public beta, the animations were harsh, and they're better now.

They still slow down the game by an unacceptable amount. Just give us the option to turn them off.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »

Your response to disillusioned customers is "increase your exposure to our terrible product and you might grow numb to its flaws"? Come on, you can't be serious...

And fwiw, I played over 8k games on the webversion and my hatred of the slow and unintuitive UI has only grown fiercer with time.

If you only play a little and have the same reaction to the animations, of course your opinion doesn't change. I've played enough now that I don't notice them. When the game first went into public beta, the animations were harsh, and they're better now.

They still slow down the game by an unacceptable amount. Just give us the option to turn them off.

You can interpret it how you will--that seems to be your wont. I tend to play when watching television or hopping browser tabs or some such. The glowing borders are helpful to me. I've played enough that I got past my first reaction which was, "Whoa, what's happening" to "This is fine" to "This is helpful to me."

I didn't have a hand in design. Feel free to ask those questions on our forums if you like. I'm in no position to answer them with any insight.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:27 pm »

You don't have any idea whether people who dislike the animations have played a lot or a little on the most recent client versions. I've played dozens of games on the new client in the last couple of weeks and the animations still bother me, you shouldn't just dismiss these concerns out of hand. And "you'll get used to this thing you don't like eventually" is a terrible terrible approach to designing the client, even though it's 100% true for people who are invested enough in the game to keep using a client they find obnoxious.

I was responding to opinions voiced in this thread, not generalizing beyond that, and certainly not generalizing to some hypothetical broader class or silent majority or some such.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »
+2

I was responding to opinions voiced in this thread, not generalizing beyond that, and certainly not generalizing to some hypothetical broader class or silent majority or some such.

You don't seem to get it. I don't care about some silent majority, your post misrepresents my behavior, but you have literally zero information about it. You don't have any idea about how much the people in this thread have played with the newest clients, but are still prepared to say "I see a lot of hasty judgment being passed by people who formed an opinion and revisit the game only long enough to reinforce that opinion" and "If you only play a little and have the same reaction to the animations, of course your opinion doesn't change". I've played hundreds of games on the new client, and dozens in the most recent weeks.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 09:59:14 pm »

Thought I'd give this a shot given there's been a lot of time for changes etc, thoughts throughout the process:

-not automatically detecting my OS
-auto fullscreen, not given a choice of any kind before launch
-attempt to login with facebook, fullscreen switches to opening internet explorer, requires my email again, as if it wasn't already included with my fb account
-Seeking animation is hilariously bad
-They really did use the exact same graphics, huh?
-background wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a white border around half the things
-music makes for poor concentration
-sound makes for poor concentration
-automatically stack duplicate cards is a good feature for vanilla dominion
-Dominion without sound is pretty boring, time to put on my own music
-cards look vaguely blurry? The numbers showing actions buys etc especially
-still have to click to see my opponent's VP chips
-Scrolling through log is incredibly slow, have to click and drag side thing
-wow my opponent is bad at this

Well despite all my complaints, it's looking pretty good, although it's nowhere near ready to come out of beta. I didn't really have any trouble with animations in the one game I got a chance to play tonight, but it was a BM game, so I didn't get a chance to experience much of that all first hand
Seeking seems like the first real reason to use this over Goko, although it seemed to take quite a long time to match me up.(but that may just be due to lack of players)
Gender happened.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 10:30:41 pm »

My only big complaints about the beta are the animations (especially how you have to wait for them), that you can't see someone's level when you're playing them, and something else that I can't remember at the moment.  I have a lot of smaller complaints, but I can't think of all of them and don't want to bother with it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 02:37:37 am »
+5

Why did you make the new interface you wrote so similar to  the one Goko had, without even considering features you were planning to add, such as the side-log?

This is the thing that makes me unlikely to take Making Fun's efforts seriously to any extent.

There were tons of complaints about the problems with the Goko client, and very few of them had to do with the code: they had to do with animations, card dragging, matchmaking, etc.  OK, sure, the code was spaghetti too, so hey, two birds, one stone:  rewrite the code, redo the interface.

Except instead, someone in management thought it'd be a better idea to recreate the entirety of the bad interface from scratch.

After the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge, the new bridge designers spent lots of time figuring out what would work best.  The new bridge, still in operation, has thicker cables, larger towers, open trusses instead of girders, and openings in the roadway itself, in addition to other modifications.

What Making Fun has done here is the equivalent of rebuilding the Tacoma Narrows bridge with stronger towers and cables, but with a deck and roadway with the original aerodynamic problems, with the intent to replace the girders and put holes in the roadway after construction was complete.

To those of us with engineering and science backgrounds, this is a mind-boggling act of madness.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:11 am »
+7

You can interpret it how you will--that seems to be your wont. I tend to play when watching television or hopping browser tabs or some such.

Sure, some people won't care about the horrendously disruptive animations—those who don't take the game too seriously and watch TV while playing chief among them—but that shouldn't be a reason not to care about the people who find them vexing in the extreme. Especially not when it's your job to care about your customers.

The glowing borders are helpful to me.

The glowing borders aren't what people talk about when they talk about animations (even though I'd love to turn them off as well). The animations that are problematic are those that actively take up gameplay time during which you can't do anything else. E.g. assume you have enough money and buys to empty the Estates. The process of emptying them should take at most 2 seconds (8 mouseclicks), yet on the new client it takes an endless eternity because after every single Estate purchase we are forced to sit through your submission for next year's Oscars. Not to mention much more extreme Hollywood ambitions like playing a bunch of Hunting Parties in a row. Too bad there's no Academy Award for best horror.

In general there should be zero perceptible delay between "clicking a card to do something" and "being able to click the next card to do something else" for users who decide to turn off animations. Sure, they'll miss out some immediate information, but that's why there's a log on the side.

And no, I won't get used to these awful disruptions because I haven't gotten used to them on Goko either (which is already terrible but you guys somehow made the new client even worse), and I only endure the great pain of playing on Goko because there's no alternative and I love this game too much to quit.

I didn't have a hand in design. Feel free to ask those questions on our forums if you like. I'm in no position to answer them with any insight.

I already made a feature request for an option to disable all this nonsense 3.5 months ago. You put it on some sort of list. Is something ever going to come from it?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 03:09:12 am »
+2

-wow my opponent is bad at this

This.

Every time I play on the new client, I feel like I am playing against someone who is seeing the cards for the first time and has no idea what to do.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »

You don't seem to get it. I don't care about some silent majority, your post misrepresents my behavior, but you have literally zero information about it. You don't have any idea about how much the people in this thread have played with the newest clients, but are still prepared to say "I see a lot of hasty judgment being passed by people who formed an opinion and revisit the game only long enough to reinforce that opinion" and "If you only play a little and have the same reaction to the animations, of course your opinion doesn't change". I've played hundreds of games on the new client, and dozens in the most recent weeks.
In my experience, this statement precedes an immediate failure in any continued discourse. Instead of playing internet gotcha, I'll leave things as they are, which apparently is nowhere in particular to anyone's satisfaction. But that's fine...most of what I've read here has been an echo chamber of predetermined opinion.

You can interpret it how you will--that seems to be your wont. I tend to play when watching television or hopping browser tabs or some such.

Sure, some people won't care about the horrendously disruptive animations—those who don't take the game too seriously and watch TV while playing chief among them—but that shouldn't be a reason not to care about the people who find them vexing in the extreme. Especially not when it's your job to care about your customers.

The glowing borders are helpful to me.

The glowing borders aren't what people talk about when they talk about animations (even though I'd love to turn them off as well). The animations that are problematic are those that actively take up gameplay time during which you can't do anything else. E.g. assume you have enough money and buys to empty the Estates. The process of emptying them should take at most 2 seconds (8 mouseclicks), yet on the new client it takes an endless eternity because after every single Estate purchase we are forced to sit through your submission for next year's Oscars. Not to mention much more extreme Hollywood ambitions like playing a bunch of Hunting Parties in a row. Too bad there's no Academy Award for best horror.

In general there should be zero perceptible delay between "clicking a card to do something" and "being able to click the next card to do something else" for users who decide to turn off animations. Sure, they'll miss out some immediate information, but that's why there's a log on the side.

And no, I won't get used to these awful disruptions because I haven't gotten used to them on Goko either (which is already terrible but you guys somehow made the new client even worse), and I only endure the great pain of playing on Goko because there's no alternative and I love this game too much to quit.

I already made a feature request for an option to disable all this nonsense 3.5 months ago. You put it on some sort of list. Is something ever going to come from it?

Henceforth, I shall dutifully play only when my full attention can be given the game. I shall exercise diligence, attentiveness, and full cognitive capacity. Please tell me how I should be playing so that I can meet your expectations. See, this isn't really going anywhere, and there's no good to come from me engaging in this kind of banter. As before, you're welcome to come and provide your feedback. It was welcome before, and it still is. Hopefully, it can be something positive to move the game in a positive direction, especially for the diehards that tend to frequent this forum.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 02:34:51 pm »
+8

In my experience, this statement precedes an immediate failure in any continued discourse. Instead of playing internet gotcha, I'll leave things as they are, which apparently is nowhere in particular to anyone's satisfaction. But that's fine...most of what I've read here has been an echo chamber of predetermined opinion.

-snip-

Henceforth, I shall dutifully play only when my full attention can be given the game. I shall exercise diligence, attentiveness, and full cognitive capacity. Please tell me how I should be playing so that I can meet your expectations. See, this isn't really going anywhere, and there's no good to come from me engaging in this kind of banter. As before, you're welcome to come and provide your feedback. It was welcome before, and it still is. Hopefully, it can be something positive to move the game in a positive direction, especially for the diehards that tend to frequent this forum.
You still don't seem to get it. There are no 'predetermined opinions' here. We've played this product for a long time and it's clear that an extremely significant portion of your customers do not like the animations. We are not asking anyone else to change how they play the game, or even for you to get rid of animations for everybody. Just a button in the settings which turns the animations off entirely. You know that button that turns the music off? Yeah, it's pretty important. Imagine if it didn't exist. You might get used to the music after a while, might even think it's kind of catchy. That's no reason not to include the button.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.