Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A Treasure-Victory-Duration-Attack (Would this attack work?)  (Read 9108 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
A Treasure-Victory-Duration-Attack (Would this attack work?)
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:33:40 am »
+1

And this time, there's actually a reason for the card to have all those types.

Fountain Gargoyle
Cost $5 - Treasure-Victory-Duration-Attack
Worth $1 this turn and next.
Worth 1VP
-
Until your next turn, when another player buys a victory card, they must reveal their discards and put a card costing $2 or less from it on top of their deck.
I wanted a treasure-duration-victory card with a "while this is in play" effect, so I used a simplified version of my old Auditor card's attack. The problem I see is that the attack can stack (assuming the other player has multiple $2 or less cost cards in their discard pile), but how bad would topdecking coppers hurt?

EDIT: fixed wording with "Until your next turn"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:04:49 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Trustworthy

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: A Treasure-Victory-Duration-Attack (Would this attack work?)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:47:48 am »

The victory "worth" needs a dividing line between it and the other two parts.

Stacking the attack in two-player games probably wouldn't be too bad, but in multiplayer it would get nasty quickly. More importantly, I don't see why this needs to be a treasure other than for the novelty factor. Why not just make it an action?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:49:46 am by Trustworthy »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:07:13 am »

Official cards use "until your next turn" instead of "while this is in play" on Duration attacks for the reason of Moat and Lighthouse. The wording you use decouples the attack from playing the card, and arguably Moat can't defend against it.

Second, there are no Treasure Durations yet, and as Trustworthy mentions, there's no reason for it to be one. It's allready a Victory -Attack and a Victory - Duration. It's novel enough.

I'd argue that an Duration attack that attacks players buying VP cards is fine. I also think a Victory- Attack is okay (i mean, i tried myself at one). I don't think it should be combined into one card. Look of the card aside, it just feels like you combined two allready sufficiently interesting and complex concepts.

It's a bit like putting all the ingredients you like on a single Pizza: You can't tell what kind of Pizza it is anymore, it gets heavy and overloaded, and the taste of individual ingredients becomes undetectable. You could have had two better pizzas with those ingredients instead.

Edit: Also, i blame Donald's influence for me making pizza metaphors. Don't look at me, Donald is the real culprit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:08:27 am by Asper »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:08:12 am »
+1

It's a bit like putting all the ingredients you like on a single Pizza: You can't tell what kind of Pizza it is anymore, it gets heavy and overloaded, and the taste of individual ingredients becomes undetectable. You could have had two better pizzas with those ingredients instead.
But, but, but... that's how I ALWAYS have pizzas!
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:40:31 am »
+2

But, but, but... that's how I ALWAYS have pizzas!

That's why you are not an official Pizza Designer.  ;)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:57 pm »

Official cards use "until your next turn" instead of "while this is in play" on Duration attacks for the reason of Moat and Lighthouse. The wording you use decouples the attack from playing the card, and arguably Moat can't defend against it.
Ok, I'll fix the wording.

Second, there are no Treasure Durations yet, and as Trustworthy mentions, there's no reason for it to be one. It's allready a Victory -Attack and a Victory - Duration. It's novel enough.

I'd argue that an Duration attack that attacks players buying VP cards is fine. I also think a Victory- Attack is okay (i mean, i tried myself at one). I don't think it should be combined into one card. Look of the card aside, it just feels like you combined two already sufficiently interesting and complex concepts.
I don't see the reasoning here. Why don't you think they should be on the same card?  I don't think making it an action would make it less complicated.

This metaphor doesn't help your arguement at all. I like surpreme pizza and disagree the pizza would be better with the toppings on separate pizzas. (except that two pizzas are better than one anyway...)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:59 pm »
+4

I'd argue that an Duration attack that attacks players buying VP cards is fine. I also think a Victory- Attack is okay (i mean, i tried myself at one). I don't think it should be combined into one card. Look of the card aside, it just feels like you combined two already sufficiently interesting and complex concepts.
I don't see the reasoning here. Why don't you think they should be on the same card?  I don't think making it an action would make it less complicated.

You are introducing three new type combinations at once, and at least two of them completely without need. The question is, what's the card's concept? I can't see it. If it was an Victory-Action-Attack, i'd see it. If it was a Treasure-Duration, i'd see it. If it was a Victory-Duration, well, i don't even see where this sub-combination has any relevant effect on the card. But actually, to me, it looks like a Duration attack that has Treasure and Victory types slapped on it. And why do i mind that? Because it's wasted potential.

The Treasure part doesn't follow the Treasure pattern, for example. Treasures are worth coins and don't just say +. Actions do that. Diadem does it too, but only in addition to its value. I see why you avoided that though. The fact that Treasures don't just state to produce money, but instead claim to be "worth" it makes them a strange choice for the Duration type. Even though they technically don't create money any different than actions do, new players will get confused by something being worth something, twice, at different times. You can do something twice. But can you be something twice? I know it's just nomenclature, but it's something new and special. You don't just take special things and slap them on top of other things. You can absolutely do a Treasure-Duration, but treat it as something cool you can do, not as if it was a +Buy or whatever you just put somewhere so it gets nicer.

For the same reason, i don't see why doing a Victory-Attack isn't enough and it has to be a Duration too. Again, the problem isn't the Attack-Duration. We allready have that, and i actually think your Attack would be a nice card without the VP and Treasure type. But as pointed out before, you are also creating a Duration-Victory card. There's so much you could do with such a combination too - a Victory card that you play and that stays out until you buy the next one, so it doesn't clog your deck. Or a Victory card that waits for the shuffle to return. Or whatever. But no, instead you just slap it on there. It's another novel type combination wasted. I mean, why does the card even give VP? Just so that it'll interact with itself? In that case, i'd rather just have it spell out that it does, or better, just scrap that part.

This metaphor doesn't help your arguement at all. I like surpreme pizza and disagree the pizza would be better with the toppings on separate pizzas. (except that two pizzas are better than one anyway...)

Mmmm... Onion-Salami-Chester-Bacon-Korn-Garlic-Bologna-Spinach-Egg-Ham-Tomato-Mozzarella-Gorgonzola-Tuna-Pizza. My favourite.

At least you agree two good pizzas are better than one good pizza. Think of it like this: You could have created a Treasure-Duration, a Victory-Duration, a Victory-Attack and an Action-Attack-Duration, the last of which is essentially what this card feels like. That's three additional, interesting card concepts you could create. But instead you use those new type combinations, and make basically nothing of them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:30:19 pm by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:59 pm »
+1

Worth noting that by being a victory, the duration-attack part works on itself; when an opponent buys one. So from the perspective I understand having them both on one card. But I agree that it doesn't make much sense to be a treasure.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 12:26:40 am »

You are introducing three new type combinations at once, and at least two of them completely without need. The question is, what's the card's concept? I can't see it. If it was an Victory-Action-Attack, i'd see it. If it was a Treasure-Duration, i'd see it. If it was a Victory-Duration, well, i don't even see where this sub-combination has any relevant effect on the card. But actually, to me, it looks like a Duration attack that has Treasure and Victory types slapped on it. And why do i mind that? Because it's wasted potential.

The Treasure part doesn't follow the Treasure pattern, for example. Treasures are worth coins and don't just say +. Actions do that. Diadem does it too, but only in addition to its value. I see why you avoided that though. The fact that Treasures don't just state to produce money, but instead claim to be "worth" it makes them a strange choice for the Duration type. Even though they technically don't create money any different than actions do, new players will get confused by something being worth something, twice, at different times. You can do something twice. But can you be something twice? I know it's just nomenclature, but it's something new and special. You don't just take special things and slap them on top of other things. You can absolutely do a Treasure-Duration, but treat it as something cool you can do, not as if it was a +Buy or whatever you just put somewhere so it gets nicer.

For the same reason, i don't see why doing a Victory-Attack isn't enough and it has to be a Duration too. Again, the problem isn't the Attack-Duration. We allready have that, and i actually think your Attack would be a nice card without the VP and Treasure type. But as pointed out before, you are also creating a Duration-Victory card. There's so much you could do with such a combination too - a Victory card that you play and that stays out until you buy the next one, so it doesn't clog your deck. Or a Victory card that waits for the shuffle to return. Or whatever. But no, instead you just slap it on there. It's another novel type combination wasted. I mean, why does the card even give VP? Just so that it'll interact with itself? In that case, i'd rather just have it spell out that it does, or better, just scrap that part.

Ok, I see what you're saying now. I did put this together from a couple different concepts. One was the attack which didn't work as well in the form I originally had it in*, and the other was that I wanted to do a funky multi-type VP treasure card.
In defence of having 'funky multi-type VP card' as a card concept, why do Harem and Nobles give VP? These are two good official cards that don't have any special reason to give VP, but having VP makes them interesting and unique. I always thought the idea of multi-type VP cards had a lot of good unexplored design space. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. I'm just saying I think it can be worthwhile sometimes to "slap" a victory point or two on a card to make it more interesting.

This was my original funky multi-type VP treasure card:  It was blah, and pretty much exactly what you're arguing against. In this case, it was definitely not worthwhile.
Fountain Gargoyle
Cost - Victory - Treasure - Duration - Reaction
Worth this turn and next.
Worth 1.
-
When you discard this when it isn't your turn, + on your turn.
It doesn't really do anything special, so it was boring to play. I thought it would be better if it cost $5 and had a 'while this is in play' effect that would be appropriate for a victory-treasure. I'm not so attached to it being a victory-treasure-duration, but I wanted to do a card with victory and one of those other two types.

*This is how I had that attack concept before:
Auditor
Cost   - Action - Attack
+1 Card.
You may discard any number of cards. +1 card per card discarded.
Each other player discards the second card from their deck, then looks through their discard pile and topdecks a ruins or pure victory card. If they didn't topdeck a card, they gain a ruins.
It's made clunky by the part intended to prevent a pin. It would work as a duration triggered by buying VP cards, but putting multiples of them in play could still cause a pin if the other player(s) bought a victory card. Maybe that would be okay since they always have the option not to buy VP that turn?
I thought it'd be less likely that people would want multiples if it were a $5 treasure which only provided $1.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:37 am »
+1

Harem and Nobles give VP because that is specifically their thing.  They are otherwise pretty simple.  This card is too complicated for what it does, and the complexity forces you to break lots of established card layout rules.  The coin value isn't stated like other treasures, the VP value isn't separated and it's stated differently too, and the Duration doesn't have the proper Duration orange.  I guess you're trying to account for it with the orange outline, but it's awkward.  You could fix most of that up just by dropping the VP entirely and then just work on making the core concept as great as possible.

I thought it'd be less likely that people would want multiples if it were a $5 treasure which only provided $1.

See, if you are successful with this goal, then the VP is even less meaningful because other players aren't going to be buying this card while you have one in play anyway.  1VP usually means little anyway.

And as others have said, the card as it is might as well be a non-terminal action to simplify it.  It doesn't get much else out of being a treasure other than the novelty factor, which doesn't really have an impact on gameplay barring edge cases.  Making it an action makes it weaker (dead draw), which either discourages stacking even more or it allows you to make it more interesting in some other way.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:11:05 am by eHalcyon »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 05:29:56 am »
+1

Yes, it's not a pin if the opponent can circumvent it. The maximum number of cards it can topdeck is usually ten, which is two dead turns. Unless you have a few Coppers, in which case this enables you to buy Duchies reliably.

Have you considered a variant that just puts the bought Victory card on top? I once thought about an attack that went "Until your next turn, when a player (including you) buys a card, you may choose that he puts it on top of his deck.". Didn't make anything of it, though i don't exactly know why, anymore.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: A (former) Treasure-Victory-Duration-Attack (Would this attack work?)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 09:28:27 pm »

Okay, here's a new version with the treasure and victory types dropped:

Fountain Gargoyle
Cost $5 - Action-Duration-Attack
+$2. Next turn: +$1
-
Until your next turn, when another player buys a victory card, he reveals his discard pile and puts a pure victory card or a $0 cost card from it on top of their deck.

I still want to make a victory- treasure or duration card, but this isn't it yet.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 10:27:17 pm »

I wouldn't say "pure victory card". Even though I intuitively know what you mean by it, it's not a defined term in Dominion, so it would require extra rules to go with it.

Also, it will pretty much always be better for the person being attacked to choose a Copper if they have one. As someone else mentioned, why not just make them put the card they bought on their deck instead of choosing from the discard pile? Revealing your discard pile could also be a long and tedious process, as it could be a huge pile, and revealing gives all opponents the right to see all cards in it.

By simply putting the bought card on top, it will be a slightly stronger attack most of the time, since they can't choose copper, but not too strong. But weaker in that it doesn't stack, or if they buy an action-victory, which won't often be an issue.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:28:26 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 01:53:00 am »

Also, it will pretty much always be better for the person being attacked to choose a Copper if they have one. As someone else mentioned, why not just make them put the card they bought on their deck instead of choosing from the discard pile? Revealing your discard pile could also be a long and tedious process, as it could be a huge pile, and revealing gives all opponents the right to see all cards in it.
Yeah, I think the attack would be pretty weak if I allow them to topdeck coppers. I'll think I'll go with what I used in the old version of Auditor with "ruins or pure victory card". (New rules about the terminology of 'pure victory card' is not a problem when I can just tell people what it means.) I say ruins instead of curse because my expansion uses ruins but not curses, and it would make it clunky again to say both on the card.

By simply putting the bought card on top, it will be a slightly stronger attack most of the time, since they can't choose copper, but not too strong. But weaker in that it doesn't stack, or if they buy an action-victory, which won't often be an issue.
I don't want to do that because my expansion has multiple multi-type victory cards, and I don't want the attack to help people. Action-victory or treasure-victory cards are not rare situations in my IRL games.

(EDIT PS: After all, Harem is my mom's favorite card.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:48:24 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 04:54:58 pm »

With another look, I was wondering if this would be good at $3 cost:

Fountain Gargoyle
Cost $3 - Action-Duration-Attack
+$1. Next turn: +$1
-
Until your next turn, when another player buys a victory card, he reveals and puts a pure victory card or a ruins from his discard pile on top of his deck.

(EDIT: Fixed "or $0 cost" card part to what I intended it to be.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:18:03 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 05:03:01 pm »
+1

Fountain Gargoyle
-
Until your next turn, when another player buys a victory card, he reveals his discard pile and puts a pure victory card or a $0 cost card from it on top of their deck.

Is there a good reason for this to be on-buy instead of on-gain? Usually on-gain is used unless there's a good reason not to. In this case, on-gain will make it so that the attack can't miss when a player buys a pure victory card, because the card they bought will be in their discard pile already.

And I still object to "pure victory card". What if you said "a card that is not a treasure nor an action"? This would disallow Copper while still allowing Curse, and is way simpler phrasing, because it doesn't require the "or a $0 cost card" part.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »

Fountain Gargoyle
-

Is there a good reason for this to be on-buy instead of on-gain? Usually on-gain is used unless there's a good reason not to. In this case, on-gain will make it so that the attack can't miss when a player buys a pure victory card, because the card they bought will be in their discard pile already.
The only existing official cards with a similar attack trigger are Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag, and they both attack on buy, but I didn't think about the card he just bought not being in the discard pile yet. So maybe this would be better on gain.

And I still object to "pure victory card". What if you said "a card that is not a treasure nor an action"? This would disallow Copper while still allowing Curse, and is way simpler phrasing, because it doesn't require the "or a $0 cost card" part.
I tried my Auditor card using the wording "a card that is not a treasure nor an action", but I think saying "pure victory card" is much simpler. Also, this is supposed to be "a pure victory card or ruins" like I said in my previous post. I made a mistake when posting this time. (fixed)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:22:35 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 11:17:16 pm »

I got inspired by the type and tried to make something work

Jack's Crown
Treasure Victory Duration Attack-$5
$1
1VP
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card
While this is in play, when your opponent plays a Treasure other than a Copper, you may choose to have both of you each gain a copper, putting them in their owner's hands

I spent way too much time thinking about the attack, and it should almost certainly be something simpler
Gender happened.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 02:40:30 am »
+1

Man, I don't know what it is, but the phrase "pure Victory card" just seems weird to me. Why not just say "when opp gains a card while this is in play, you may have them topdeck"? Then you remove all the weird wordings, it still has the original effect of penalizing buying victory cards, and you get some extra utility when combined with junking Attacks. If you're worried about pins, you could make it Sea Hag topdeck instead.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:32:28 am »

Man, I don't know what it is, but the phrase "pure Victory card" just seems weird to me. Why not just say "when opp gains a card while this is in play, you may have them topdeck"? Then you remove all the weird wordings, it still has the original effect of penalizing buying victory cards, and you get some extra utility when combined with junking Attacks. If you're worried about pins, you could make it Sea Hag topdeck instead.

I suggest staying with VP cards. You don't want people to wonder whether you can use this to break Beggar etc (i think you can't?). Limiting it to VP still has this with Mine/Harem, but that's far less common.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 11:23:42 am »
+1

Could also say something like "a victory card that is not also an action or treasure". The thing is "pure victory card" isn't defined in the rules. Some people may think that it refers only to the base-set VP cards; others may argue that Dukes are the only VP cards that are really pure.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 11:26:09 am »

Oh perhaps a better way to fix all this... just let YOU choose which card they topdeck.

Fountain Gargoyle
-
Until your next turn, when another player buys a victory card, he reveals his discard pile and you may choose a card from it to put on top of his deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 11:51:05 am »
+1

The only existing official cards with a similar attack trigger are Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag, and they both attack on buy, but I didn't think about the card he just bought not being in the discard pile yet. So maybe this would be better on gain.

So Swamp Hag has to be on buy because otherwise you get all the Curses. But not sure why Haunted Woods is. Possibly just because of the (indirect) interaction with Mission?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:59 pm »

So Swamp Hag has to be on buy because otherwise you get all the Curses. But not sure why Haunted Woods is. Possibly just because of the (indirect) interaction with Mission?

If Haunted Woods was on gain, you could make all opponents topdeck their hands by playing a Witch afterwards. Or imagine playing a Workshop with Haunted Woods out. Technically it could be gaining limited to the buy phase, but why do that if you have a much shorter word for something really similar and equally good?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:45 pm »

If Haunted Woods was on gain, you could make all opponents topdeck their hands by playing a Witch afterwards. Or imagine playing a Workshop with Haunted Woods out. Technically it could be gaining limited to the buy phase, but why do that if you have a much shorter word for something really similar and equally good?

Oh right, of course. So my point stands, the only things that are on-buy are things that would break the game if they were on-gain.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.