Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Calling Multiples Guides on the Same Turn  (Read 2843 times)

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Calling Multiples Guides on the Same Turn
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:47:06 pm »

If I have multiple guides on the tavern mat at the start of my turn, can I call a guide, get a new hand, then decide to call another guide from my tavern mat?

I did that multiple times in a game tonight because I had many guides (+$1 token on guide pile) on the tavern mat. Halfway through the game my friend re-read guide and thought that I was playing it in correctly, arguing that once I called the first guide, it was no longer the start of my turn so I couldn't call a second (or third, etc.) guide. He said that since I can decide the order in which things happen at the start of the turn, I could decide to call more than 1 guide, but I would have to decide the amount before I called the first one and saw my new hand. I think he is correct. Is he?

It comes down to when does the "start of my turn" end? (assuming we understand everything else correctly). Does the "start of my turn" end after I call the first guide? By similar ruling, if I had a guide and a rat catcher on the tavern mat, I would have to decide to play rat catcher before I saw my new hand from calling guide, because I had to choose the order (1. guide 2. rat catcher) before I played the guide.
Go, and do likewise.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Calling Multiples Guides on the Same Turn
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:50:15 pm »
+5

You can call as many Guides as you have on the mat, and you can activate other start of turn effects between them too. You don't have to decide the order in advance.  You just activate them one at a time, so you could call Guide, think, then Ratcatcher, think, then Guide. 'Start of turn' ends when you run out of effects that can do something at the start of the turn.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:52:21 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:06:57 am »
+2

When there are multiple "start of turn" effects, they all happen at the same time so you get to choose the order.  Say you have these start of turn effects:

Guide
Guide
Ratcatcher
Wharf

At the start of your turn, the game sees1 that there are multiple things that happen at the start of your turn.  You choose which one.  Say you chose your first Guide.  It resolves (you discard hand, draw new one).  Now you have these start of turn effects:

Guide
Ratcatcher
Wharf

You still have to choose these ones.  You choose another to resolve, resolve it, then another, etc. until you have no more.

1: Yes, the game is sentient.  Run for your lives.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 01:21:51 am »
+1

Right, and I think sudgy's explanation can be generalized to all simultaneous effects.  If you have three or more effects happening at the same time, you don't choose the order of all three right away.  Instead, you pick one and do it, then you look back at the queue and see that there are still more, so you pick another one and do it, etc., until you run out of things to do.

I think things can get added (or possibly removed?) from the queue between resolving separate effects with the same timing too.  For example, maybe you trash a Rats with a Market Square in hand.  You decide to draw from Rats first, and you draw another Market Square.  Now the queue has one more thing in it than you were expecting, but it doesn't matter; you just check the queue at the end of each effect and keep going until there are no more decisions left to make.

Someone please correct me if any of this is wrong.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:24:19 am »
+3

One way to think about this is, what happens with Guide at the beginning of the turn is "you may call this".

So, all of your Guides and Ratcatchers or whatever activate at the beginning of the turn. You choose the order in which to activate them; you choose them one at a time, so you choose which one goes first, activate it, and then choose which one goes second, and so on.

You don't get a choice about whether to activate them. They all do their thing. But their thing is offering you a choice. So your first Guide activates, and you choose to call it. Then your second Guide activates, and at that moment and not before, it allows you to decide whether to call it or not.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:57:48 am by AJD »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »
+3

Play summoned Hireling and Reserve. Get +1 card for Hireling. Call Reserve. Play Princed card. Put Horse Trader back in hand. Get Duration effect. Say "achievement unlocked".

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 04:02:10 pm »
+1

You don't get a choice about whether to activate them. They all do their thing. But their thing is offering you a choice. So your first Guide activates, and you choose to call it. Then your second Guide activates, and at that moment and not before, it allows you to decide whether to call it or not.

Yeah, this is actually two different things.

1) You don't choose the order first, you just choose which to resolve next. After that, you choose which to resolve next, etc.

2) These particular cards (Reserve cards), as part of resolving them at the start of your turn, give you an option to call them.

Even if (1) were not true, if you have a bunch of Guides, the effect would be the same, since it doesn't matter in which order you resolve them. You get the choice of whether to call each one as it resolves in any case.

But if you have different cards, like two Guides and a Ratcatcher, then both (1) and (2) matter.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.508 seconds with 20 queries.