Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Bestiary - Cards that reference themselves (beta: just a few ideas)  (Read 9711 times)

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
+4

In the spirit of cards that reference themselves, even if it's not animal-themed:

Banquet
$5 Action
Trash this. Gain two cards each costing $5 or less that are not Banquets. Put them on top of your deck.

The first iteration of this didn't have the self-reference (but did set gained cards aside until the clean-up phase to prevent instant pile-outs with Lost City), and was tested on a Kingdom with Treasury. After the opening moves, the game went something like this:

Play Banquet, gain Treasury+Banquet, buy something. Pass.
Play Treasury, Play Banquet, gain Treasury+Banquet, buy something. Pass.
Play Treasury, Play Treasury, Play Banquet, gain Treasury+Banquet, buy something. Pass.
Play Treasury, Play Treasury, Play Treasury, Play Banquet, gain Treasury+Banquet, buy something. Pass.
until both piles were quickly empty.

The effect above would be less extreme with non-Treasury 5-cost cantrips as they'd be discarded after the first use, but getting a second Banquet as one of the options is generally still a no-brainer.

It's still theoretically possible if you put a Ferry token on Banquets when Band of Misfits is around, but at that point it's just a legitimate multi-part combo of the type that Dominion already has plenty of examples, and there's generally better things to do with a Band of Misfits/Ferry than this anyway.

RelzeriZynx

• Swindler
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
+2

Monkey
$3 Action
+1 Card
Choose one: Gain a Monkey, Play a Monkey, or discard a card from your hand.

There are 20 monkey cards in the supply.

---

Frog
$4 Action
+1 Action
Turn your journey token over. If it is faced up, choose one: Gain a Duchy, Gain a Gold. Otherwise, gain a copper and a frog.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
Re: Dominion: Bestiary - Cards that reference themselves (beta: just a few ideas)
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 12:43:48 pm »

So the effect of playing a Monkey is just to play another Monkey until you run out of them?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:10:06 pm by 461.weavile »
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

461.weavile

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
Re: Dominion: Bestiary - Cards that reference themselves (beta: just a few ideas)
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:46 pm »
+1

Here's my proposal for Parrot

Action-Reserve $5
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat. If you did, you may return an action you played this turn to your hand.
--------
When you call a card that is not a Parrot, you may call this to call that card two more times.

I kept the self-reference theme (for good reason) and fixed the other problem with things getting stuck on the Tavern mat...except maybe Parrot; that would get stuck if there were not other Action-Reserve cards in the kingdom, but then nobody would buy a Parrot.
The main part of the action might be a little bit overpowered, but it's offset by making Parrot a Reserve, so you can't do it as often, and it doesn't matter if that you put a Parrot back since it would give back the Action you just spent and the Card you just played, essentially being an "undo," while it wouldn't go on the Tavern mat since it lost track. EDIT: rearranged because of some game-breaking edge cases: Say you get KC, Market (or a bunch of other things), and Parrot in the same hand; play Market, play KC to play Parrot 3 times, pick up the Market, KC, and Parrot with the main part of the Parrot; you now have 6 cards, 3 actions, 1 coin, and 2 buys; repeat ad infinitum to get all the Provinces in one turn.
The theme fits because both the action and the call effect allow you to mimic like a parrot.
Right now, it feels balanced (before any real testing) but I might like it at $6
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:22:07 pm by 461.weavile »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 01:32:25 pm »

Here's my proposal for Parrot

Action-Reserve $5
+1 Action
You may return an action you played this turn to your hand.
Put this on your Tavern mat.
--------
When you call a card that is not a Parrot, you may call this to call that card two more times.
This is going to run into interesting tracking issues if I go KC-KC-Parrot, and then use the Parrot to pick up the King's Courts.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

461.weavile

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 01:37:31 pm »

Yeah, I just thought of that in the shower, so I think I fixed it to be less broken, this way you can't do it infinitely. I just don't want to need to add a "Crossroads clause"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:09 pm »

Action-Reserve $5
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat. If you did, you may return an action you played this turn to your hand.
--------

This also has Duration tracking issues. Even if you return the Duration card you just played to your hand, its effects on future turns still happen; there's just nothing left in play to remind you to do them.

461.weavile

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »

It wouldn't really be noticeable if you're going to play it again, but that could probably be solved by just making you play the action again instead of picking it up and giving another action. That probably will give the same effect.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.