Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57  All

Author Topic: M66: Paris Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins)  (Read 130840 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
M66: Paris Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins)
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »

Welcome to M66: Paris Mafia

Setup information in the second post.

I'd like everyone to re-in here since the game type, rules, and mod have all changed.  Spots for people already signed up are reserved until that player /outs though.  Needed a new thread so I have the power.

Playerlist:
  • gkrieg13, Vanilla Townie, Killed Night 2
  • Axxle EgorK, Mime, Killed Night 5
  • chairs**, Backup Vig, Survived
  • QuickSync, Watcher, Killed Night 3
  • XerxesPraelor, Vanilla Townie, Survived
  • silverspawn*, Vanilla Townie, Survived
  • Teproc Hydrad, Vanilla Townie, Killed Night 1
  • Witherweaver, Mime, Lynched Day 4
  • Ghacob*, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day 6
  • faust, Vigilante, Lynched Day 3
  • Sudgy*, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day 2
  • Awaclus, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 1
  • Hydrad Seprix, Neapolitan, Killed Night 4

Mods: Umbrageofsnow, scott_pilgrim

Tagged: Ashersky, Mail-mi, Archetype, Voltaire

Navigation:
Day 1 Start
Teproc Replaces Hydrad
Axxle Replaces EgorK
Day 1 Ends with Awaclus' lynch.
Day 2 Starts. Teproc was Night Killed.
Day 2 Ends with Sudgy's lynch.
Day 3 Starts. Gkrieg was Night Killed.
Day 3 Ends with faust's lynch.
Day 4 Begins.  QuickSync was Night Killed. Hydrad replaces Seprix
Day 4 Ends with Witherweaver's lynch.
Day 5 Begins.  Hydrad was Night Killed.
Day 5 Ends with a No Lynch.
Day 6 Begins.  Axxle was Night Killed.
Day 6 Ends with Ghacob's lynch.

Rules:

The normal Rules of Mafia apply, with the following additions and changes
General
  • This is the mod color.  You may not use this color, or very small text, or any sort of stenography or encryption I deem likely to hurt the game.
  • All players will have personal QTs that they may post in at any time.
  • Questions will be answered, errors fixed, and rulebreaking punished at mod discretion.  We'll try our best to be fair and impartial and make sure everyone has fun, but some questions may not be answered and some things may not be resolved the way you want.  Complain about it via PM, not in thread.
Voting
  • You may Vote: No LynchIf half, rounded up, of the living players vote this way, a No Lynch is achieved and the day ends.
  • Voting must be in bold to count.  If Scott or I recognize it as a vote for someone, it counts as a vote.  Ambiguity kills, kids.  If we don't know who you are voting for, it doesn't count.  Errors should be pointed out in thread, but if you were just being too weird for us to figure out what you meant, just revote.
  • Unvotes are not required to change your vote.
Deadlines & Prods
  • Game days will last 8 real life days.  Nights will last 2 days.
  • All players still alive are required to check in during the night in (at least one of) their QT(s).
  • Night Actions may be submitted up until an hour before the next day starts.
  • When time for the day is up and no majority has been reached, the day results in a No Lynch.  If your vote is 1 second after the set deadline, that vote does not count.
  • Prods will be issued after 48 hours without posting in the game thread, unless you have declared V/LA in thread or in your QT.  A player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after that they will be replaced or mod-killed.  After 3 prods, players are subject to replacement or modkill, at the mods' discretion.
  • Players may request that they be prodded by email or some other means if they like, but prods will be sent by PM on site by default.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:17:15 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: M66: Paris Mafia
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »

This game will use a modified version of the Paris Mafia setup.
It will be a 13 player setup with the following roles:

2 Mafia Goons
2 Mimes
1 Watcher
1 Vigilante
1 Backup Vigilante
1 Neapolitan
5 Vanilla Townies

Summary of Setup Rules

General Rules
  • No Lynch requires 50% of the votes rounded up.
  • If there is no majority reached by the deadline, a No Lynch occurs and the day ends.
  • Flavor is assigned randomly and has no bearing on alignment or role.
  • Kills happen simultaneously, if the Vig or Goon would be killed, their shot still goes through.
Mime Mechanics
  • The Mimes win when they are both lynched, or when a second No Lynch occurs if any mimes are still alive.  When the Mimes win, the game is immediately over in a loss for any other teams.
  • Because of the 2nd No-Lynch clause, and no-lynching on 50% rounded up, Mimes win if the game comes down to just Town and Mimes once the Vig is dead.  The No Lynch or lynching the mimes is then eventually inevitable
  • If one Mime is Night Killed, the other immediately suicides.
  • Mimes have a factional Jailkeeper ability and are 1-shot Bulletproof to the first Night Kill to target them.
  • Mimes know when their 1-shot BP has been triggered.
Mafia
  • Mafia win when all other players are dead or nothing can prevent this from happening.
  • The Mafia's Night Kill is compulsory.  If no target is submitted, one will be chosen at random from among the entire player list.
  • I've added a Night 1 Bulletproof to the Mafia.
Town
  • Town wins when all non-town players are dead.
  • Neapolitan is a cop that returns a result of Vanilla Townie/Not Vanilla Townie.
  • Watchers and Neapolitans receive "No Result" if roleblocked, Watcher receives "No Visitors" if she targets someone no one else targeted.
  • Vigs are unwatchable, the Watcher will receive "No Result"

Sample Role PMs
I'll add a picture and flavor name to these as flavor, but this is the game text.

Quote from: Vanilla Townie
Vous êtes une Vanille Townie. Vous n'avez aucune puissance de special.

Vous gagnez quand on a éliminé toutes les menaces pour la ville.
Quote from: Mafia Goon
You are a Mafia Goon, along with Yourpartner, who is also a Mafia Goon.

You share a Private Topic which may only be used during the night.

You win if at least one member of your team is alive and all other players are dead or if nothing can prevent this.

You have a factional night-kill meaning that each night one of you may night-kill a player.  This kill is compulsory, if no target is selected, one will be selected for you at random from among the entire player list.  If you are both alive, one of you will be chosen at random to carry out the kill.

If you are targeted for a Night Kill on Night One, it will have no result.
Quote from: Mime
You are a Mime. You are on a team with Yourpartner, who is also a Mime.

You share a Private Topic which may only be used during the night.

You win when both Mimes are lynched, or when two No-Lynches have taken place and at least one Mime is still alive, or when nothing can prevent one of these win conditions from occurring.  When you win, the game is over.

If Yourpartner is Night Killed, you also die the same night.

You share a factional Jailkeeper ability: Each night one of you may target a player to be protected, this will protect that player from all kills for the night. The targeted player is not informed that they were protected. You will not be informed if you protected the player from a kill.
You also roleblock your target, causing any actions they attempt to fail during the current night phase.  If the target would receive information back from their power, they receive "No Result" instead.  You may choose not to use this power if you like.  You may target your partner but you may not target yourself.

Factional 1-Shot Bulletproof: The first Night Kill that would kill a Mime has no effect.  You will be informed in the Mime QT when this happens, but you will not be informed which of you was targeted.
Quote from: Neapolitan
You are a Neapolitan.  You win when all non-town players have been eliminated.

Each night you may target a player to investigate whether or not they are a Vanilla Townie.  You will receive a result of "Player X is a Vanilla Townie" or "Player X is not a Vanilla Townie".  A result of "No Result" indicates that you have been roleblocked.
Quote from: Watcher
You are a Watcher.  You win when all non-town players have been eliminated.

Each night you may target a player to be watched.  You will receive a list of each player who visited your target.  You will not be told what action they performed.  If no one visited your target, you will receive a result of "No Visitors."  If you were roleblocked or if you targeted the (current) Vigilante, you will receive a result of "No Result."
Quote from: Vigilante
You are a Vigilante.  You win when all non-town players have been eliminated.

Each night you may target a player to kill.  You will not receive any information back, if they remain alive, you don't know whether they were protected, bulletproof, or if you were roleblocked.
Quote from: Backup Vigilante
You are a Backup Vigilante.  You win when all non-town players have been eliminated.

You have no special ability, but when the Vigilante dies, you become the Vigilante.  See the 2nd post for that PM, although I'll post it in your QT when that becomes your role.  Your power and role name change upon their death.  The Watcher will get normal results from watching you, but this will no longer be true once you become the Vigilante.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:01:38 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:16:41 pm »

Any comments or suggestions on rules or setup welcome.  We've discussed the setup a ton in the other thread though, and I think I want to get this started soon-ish, so I've picked the variation I have the best feelings about.  Can change some detail if people really want, and would love to discuss balance with people before, during, or especially after the game.  I want to find a version of this that works.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »

Oh, and I'm probably going with expatriate writers and artists in the 1920s-1930s in Paris as a theme, for lack of any better ideas, but I'm open to any mimier suggestions.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:20:59 pm »

/in if someone /outs, otherwise /tag for a speccy

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 02:34:37 pm »

/in

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »

/in
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:17:10 pm »

This

Edge case for victory conditions: If it's reduced to just Mafia and Mimes (plus a few other similar cases), especially 2 Mimes, 2 Mafia, AND there already was a nolynch last night, the Mimes can force a NL, giving them the victory. However, the Mafia win con stops the game once they control half of town.
I believe that the Mafia wincon should be along the lines of "Mafia controls all of town or nothing can prevent this from happening"
This was a bit far out, but I felt it was worth mentioning
Gender happened.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:06 pm »

This

Edge case for victory conditions: If it's reduced to just Mafia and Mimes (plus a few other similar cases), especially 2 Mimes, 2 Mafia, AND there already was a nolynch last night, the Mimes can force a NL, giving them the victory. However, the Mafia win con stops the game once they control half of town.
I believe that the Mafia wincon should be along the lines of "Mafia controls all of town or nothing can prevent this from happening"

Haha, I was just considering this and things like it when trying to finalize the wincons.  If it comes down to 2 Mimes, 2 Mafia, the rules as written right now end the game in a Mafia win I think.  I'm actually okay with this (also, I'm curious how the heck this would happen, that sounds like it would be hilarious to watch). The Mimes primary win condition as I see it is being lynched, when they are tied with Mafia, the Mafia have guns.

On the other hand, I mean, it's so edge-casey as to be absurd, but I think that maybe should be a tie?  I mean Mimes avoided all the NKs and Mafia killed all the town.  I don't know what the heck town were doing in this hypothetical game, but some kind of Super Ultimate Loss seems appropriate.  I'll reword it to clear up the ambiguity, in favor of a tie I think.

(Nothing is really too edge-case.  THIS IS F.DS!.)

EDIT: Okay, so now the game ends when the Mimes win, Mimes win when they can force the win, Mafia wins when they can force the win.  Technically the Mimes and Mafia can win together, although I would be shocked if this ever actually happens.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:28:06 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:35 pm »

You can give my spot to someone.  I don't think the setup as written is quite there yet.

Specifically, it's still too hard for the mimes to have a chance.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 04:41:51 pm »

You can give my spot to someone.  I don't think the setup as written is quite there yet.

Will do.

I actually like your idea about the die-by-the-same-method wincon for the Mimes, but it added a ton of endgame edgecases and got away from the spirit of what I felt was the point of the Mimes.  I do think we should try something like that sometime.

What did you think of the Mimes as Doctor + JK idea?  Makes the JK Mime almost invincible until the one of them is lynched.

You want the speccy?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 04:43:14 pm »

/in
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:50:25 pm »

This

Actually this bothered me too, but I forgot to point it out.

This

Haha, I was just considering this and things like it when trying to finalize the wincons.  If it comes down to 2 Mimes, 2 Mafia, the rules as written right now end the game in a Mafia win I think.  I'm actually okay with this (also, I'm curious how the heck this would happen, that sounds like it would be hilarious to watch). The Mimes primary win condition as I see it is being lynched, when they are tied with Mafia, the Mafia have guns.

On the other hand, I mean, it's so edge-casey as to be absurd, but I think that maybe should be a tie?  I mean Mimes avoided all the NKs and Mafia killed all the town.  I don't know what the heck town were doing in this hypothetical game, but some kind of Super Ultimate Loss seems appropriate.  I'll reword it to clear up the ambiguity, in favor of a tie I think.

(Nothing is really too edge-case.  THIS IS F.DS!.)

EDIT: Okay, so now the game ends when the Mimes win, Mimes win when they can force the win, Mafia wins when they can force the win.  Technically the Mimes and Mafia can win together, although I would be shocked if this ever actually happens.

This doesn't really feel right to me.  I've always thought of the mafia win con as being shorthand for "when all remaining players are mafia-aligned", and the more than half thing was because it's usually the same.  In fact it has always bothered me when people phrase the win con that way when they could just say "when all remaining players are mafia".  It usually matters in multi-ball and then people get confused because they're used to seeing it as more than half.

Anyway, I think having mafia win only when all remaining players are mafia (or nothing can prevent that from happening) is the most intuitive solution.

Is there any particular reason why the VT PM is in French (or maybe some other non-English language)?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 04:55:01 pm »

I think because it is set in Paris.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:32 pm »

Will do.

I actually like your idea about the die-by-the-same-method wincon for the Mimes, but it added a ton of endgame edgecases and got away from the spirit of what I felt was the point of the Mimes.  I do think we should try something like that sometime.

What did you think of the Mimes as Doctor + JK idea?  Makes the JK Mime almost invincible until the one of them is lynched.

You want the speccy?

I'll definitely spectate,  can help co-mod if needed.

I don't like finding creative ways to power up the mimes to make up for a flaw that isn't related to powers.

Mimes are a jester team, basically, but treated like lovers.  It's the auto-suicide thing I really don't like.  Changing the wincon to be matching deaths made sense to me.  So, instead of being lover-jesters, they becomes something more unique.

I mean, getting NKed is much harder than being lynched anyway.  I guess you could have town cvigs get gunshy if one of the mimes dies, but that's okay, I think.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 05:00:11 pm »

Because it's funny, and everyone knows what a VT does, so there's no real rules ambiguity to be covered there.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 05:02:33 pm »

Okay, Mafia have to kill everyone, Mimes win the 2 Mime, 2 Mafia, 1 No-Lynch standoff.

I don't even think that's really a boost for Mimes, but I'm fine with it.  Now I dare you guys to achieve that gamestate.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 05:11:12 pm »

Ash, I'll definitely take you up on the co-mod thing if we're having any ambiguity or trouble or Scott gets too busy.

Would you mind if I just PM you if I have a question at first though?  I want to
a) Try to do as well as I can without deferring to you too much, which I suspect would be my temptation
b) Want to see what your opinions are in the Speccy, honestly.  Without knowing everyone's alignment.  I mean, that's not such a big deal but I just am curious and I know you like to talk about that stuff.

Thinking it'll be a spoilers allowed one like for Mistborn.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 06:40:50 pm »

/out damn spot
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:08 pm »

Ash, I'll definitely take you up on the co-mod thing if we're having any ambiguity or trouble or Scott gets too busy.

Would you mind if I just PM you if I have a question at first though?  I want to
a) Try to do as well as I can without deferring to you too much, which I suspect would be my temptation
b) Want to see what your opinions are in the Speccy, honestly.  Without knowing everyone's alignment.  I mean, that's not such a big deal but I just am curious and I know you like to talk about that stuff.

Thinking it'll be a spoilers allowed one like for Mistborn.

No problem.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 01:11:51 am »

/tag
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 02:06:14 am »

If there's an open spot, count me /in.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 06:14:04 am »

Waiting to find out my availability for the next few weeks- it's possible I might be working away from home 3-4 days a week starting in a couple of weeks, in which case I'll have to /out. If that isn't the case, I'll definitely be /in. Should have a better idea in 2-3 days.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 01:14:49 pm »

Waiting to find out my availability for the next few weeks- it's possible I might be working away from home 3-4 days a week starting in a couple of weeks, in which case I'll have to /out. If that isn't the case, I'll definitely be /in. Should have a better idea in 2-3 days.

No rush, the game won't start in the next 2 days, your spot is reserved until you officially /out.  If you or someone else does it goes to Seprix.

I'll run the game with 1 less VT if we can only get 12 and it's been a while, I'm going to PM people about this thread later today (not including people who've responded obviously.)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 01:43:09 pm »

I didn't realize this game was a smaller game, could I go on the waitlist?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.