Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21  All

Author Topic: JSH's True Art Rankings  (Read 193197 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
Re: JSH's True Art Rankings
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2015, 06:17:28 pm »

And in regard to the box cover, I actually had that impression of it as a war game when I saw the cover.  I didn't look too closely at the game at first because of that.  Fortunately, I later took time to look closer at the mechanics and components of the game and gave it a chance, which I am extremely glad I did.

I had the exact same impression (and was almost completely new to boardgaming, so it wasn't like I was thinking "Oh that's like ASL" or something). I wonder how common this is.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2015, 07:06:00 pm »
+7

And in regard to the box cover, I actually had that impression of it as a war game when I saw the cover.  I didn't look too closely at the game at first because of that.  Fortunately, I later took time to look closer at the mechanics and components of the game and gave it a chance, which I am extremely glad I did.

I had the exact same impression (and was almost completely new to boardgaming, so it wasn't like I was thinking "Oh that's like ASL" or something). I wonder how common this is.

Which is precisely why the german edition used another cover back when Hans im Glück published it:

(Left is Intrigue, right is Base - together they are one big image)

They blew it on several occasions, but HiG's cover art looks much nicer than the original, i dare say.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:07:27 pm by Asper »

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2015, 11:14:17 pm »

They subtitled it "What a world!"?  :o

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2015, 12:11:05 am »
+1

Am I wrong in thinking that the perspective in that is off? Those look like some very small mountains.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2015, 03:52:45 am »
+3

Yes. Adding unneccessary subtitles is a thing german translatores tend to do. It's also very common with movies. To be fair, "Dominion" isn't a very well known word in germany and the direct translation would be "Reich". Now imagine the game box saying that  ;)

Also sorry for derailing the thread but i felt it might be interesting to take a look at international covers, even if they are not included in the ranking.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2015, 05:42:02 am »

Yes. Adding unneccessary subtitles is a thing german translatores tend to do. It's also very common with movies. To be fair, "Dominion" isn't a very well known word in germany and the direct translation would be "Reich". Now imagine the game box saying that  ;)

Also sorry for derailing the thread but i felt it might be interesting to take a look at international covers, even if they are not included in the ranking.

I guess it's better than the Dutch version, which has 'In naam van de Koning' as a subtitle, translated: 'In the name of the King'. Just... why?
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »
+2

I am loving the box art discussion. I have to agree that the Dutch version's art fits the game much better.

21. Nobles

I'm not sure how Ken Jeong made it on to a Dominion card (If you ever need to cast a Dominion movie, Donald, there you go); maybe he had some deal with the artist. What's there to say about Nobles, anyway? It's not that interesting of a picture. The art is competent but not great. I'll give it one thing: the scene depicted here fits the theme of political intrigue better than many other cards in the set.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2015, 03:56:45 pm »

I did agree with JSH (for the most part) with the base cards, but man, in my opinion, he's really screwing up Intrigue (I say that meaning as little offense as possible). I have only agreed that 2/5 of the cards that he has talked about should be low (and I think Scout would be a big higher for me) but I do not agree with Harem, Nobles or Steward being this low. I mean, where is Bridge?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Jean-Michel

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jean-Michel
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »
+2

I did agree with JSH (for the most part) with the base cards, but man, in my opinion, he's really screwing up Intrigue (I say that meaning as little offense as possible). I have only agreed that 2/5 of the cards that he has talked about should be low (and I think Scout would be a big higher for me) but I do not agree with Harem, Nobles or Steward being this low. I mean, where is Bridge?
What? I love Bridge, I think it has the best art in the whole set. Having said that, I have to admit that I don't think Nobles deserved to be this low.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2015, 05:02:39 pm »

What? I love Bridge, I think it has the best art in the whole set. Having said that, I have to admit that I don't think Nobles deserved to be this low.
Well, I am sorry that our opinions differ, but my statement still stands (for me).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2015, 12:47:05 am »
+2

I think we should've seen Minion by now.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2015, 08:14:22 pm »
+1

20. Minion

The power of the beard keeps Minion out of the bottom five, but it can't do much else for him. He's got terrible taste in portraits and is just asking to take his left hand out. Hold it at the hilt, dude. If you zoom in you can make out lots of arm hair and wrinkles, too. I think the artist overdid it a bit on the details there.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2015, 08:37:24 pm »
+4

called it.
I never realized that thing he's holding was a dagger. and his beard is funny looking. That's why he's angry: he wishes he had a real beard like the guy in the portrait.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2015, 10:57:18 am »
+3

called it.
I never realized that thing he's holding was a dagger. and his beard is funny looking. That's why he's angry: he wishes he had a real beard like the guy in the portrait.

To be a man and not have a beard in Dominion is blasphemy.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2015, 03:31:58 pm »

called it.

To be a man and not have a beard in Dominion is blasphemy.
Hence Chancellor

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »
+11

19. Upgrade

It's been like a year since I did the last list and they're STILL working on it. Get it together, guys.

18. Baron

I don't always make card ranking lists, but when I do Baron doesn't place very highly.

17. Duke

the Duke is wearing a fine chicken leg vest that looks like the inside of my winter coat. I bet he's proud of himself. His window overlooks a very close-by river (seriously, take a look at that perspective) and his chair is cut from the same chicken as his shirt. I don't know what else to tell you people. It's not a downright ugly card but I'm not letting it perch any higher on the Intrigue list.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:04:46 pm by jsh357 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2015, 02:28:15 am »

What's wrong with Baron?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2015, 07:12:28 am »

So, to you, jsh, "chicken leg" = "quilted"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2015, 07:20:51 am »

Baron and Duke? Wow, now I'm wondering what the top 10 could possibly be. I really don't know about your look on Intrigue cards...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2015, 08:56:10 am »

I'm pretty confused about the whole chicken leg thing.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:17 am »
+3

I'm so sorry everyone here is terrible jsh.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:42 am »
+2

I love Upgrade's art.

Baron's face looks like that of a war criminal, and Duke is clearly a seller of snake oil.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »
+8

The power of the beard keeps Minion out of the bottom five, but it can't do much else for him. He's got terrible taste in portraits and is just asking to take his left hand out. Hold it at the hilt, dude. If you zoom in you can make out lots of arm hair and wrinkles, too. I think the artist overdid it a bit on the details there.
It was a scroll originally. We complained that he looked like an evil secretary, and the artist changed it to a dagger.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
+6

16. Wishing Well

Flavor text followed by nonsensical joke then meta commentary on the art of listing. Commentary on how odd the placement of the art seems since a lot of people like the picture, then weak justification that invites angry comments. Something about bacon and/or chicken for good measure. Note about blurriness, fuzziness, or some other notable quality of card art to leave the reader questioning their perception. Lack of surprise when they get defensive anyway. Reference to f.ds meme and or stream to end on a snappy note.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »
+2

Witty comeback at protracted meta-joke.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.