Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21  All

Author Topic: JSH's True Art Rankings  (Read 193119 times)

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
Re: JSH's True Art Rankings
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2015, 10:40:20 am »
+1

Hey, jsh: want to use the new images of the cards that I meticulously scanned and uploaded to the wiki?

I like mine better.
Gender happened.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2015, 01:03:48 pm »
+3

Hey, jsh: want to use the new images of the cards that I meticulously scanned and uploaded to the wiki?

I like mine better.

So does jsh.

I think Harem has easily got the worst art of all expansions. And (sorry if I sound like a prude here) the worst name/theme too.

I also don't think shanty town is particularily beautiful, but it has a nice color scheme, and a bit of gloom. And a nice moon too. Moon beats giant halfhead any time.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that the girl on the left has a thigh that's much longer than her leg. Yuk.
Gods, now I can't unsee it.
Edit2: And with left I obviously meant stage left. Makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:59:32 pm by Accatitippi »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2015, 01:27:46 pm »
+3

(image)
I like mine better.
(image)

Really? That filter destroys most of the detail on the card and gives it a washed-out look. The copyright line is nearly unreadable and the center person appears to be sporting an ice pick for an arm. Not to mention the creepy flesh-colored eyes.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:30:42 pm by singletee »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2015, 01:44:33 pm »
+1

Really? That filter destroys most of the detail on the card and gives it a washed-out look. The copyright line is nearly unreadable and the center person appears to be sporting an ice pick for an arm. Not to mention the creepy flesh-colored eyes.

The more detail you destroy of Harem, the better it looks.

EDIT: Also,

>msg522666

Nice get.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:45:38 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »

What are those things that are poking out of the barrel on the bottom right???

That's a board game.

I think it' actually a kind of puzzle, and that i even think i recall reading about it a while ago. Can't remember what the name was, though. Also, yes, i like Shanty Town a lot less. I think it looks like screenshot from the Simpsons.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2015, 03:16:47 pm »
+6

24. Scout

There aren't enough cards with winter scenery. It's too bad the scout is one of the worst-dressed dudes in the entire game. Look at how huge his right knee is, too. Those are some impressive legs, yet somehow super-boney. The thing I've always wondered about scout is what happened to his hand? Maybe he was trying to remove a horcrux from a ring or something. Let's give him some credit; he did find some tracks. Gold star for scout boy.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2015, 04:54:06 pm »
+5

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2015, 10:19:07 pm »
+1

Gender happened.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2015, 09:03:09 am »

<high res online image>

As an aside, a common complaint in the last ranking thread was that I was judging the quality of art by how it appeared on the card and not in high-res pictures seen online. In order to continue being a troll to these types of nitpickers I am going to continue judging the art by how it appears on the cards. That is the medium the art is intended to be seen in, and as such it will be in my mind.

This is his thread, not yours? Maybe you should start a new thread to complain about the images that he is choosing to use in his thread?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:19 am »

<high res online image>

As an aside, a common complaint in the last ranking thread was that I was judging the quality of art by how it appeared on the card and not in high-res pictures seen online. In order to continue being a troll to these types of nitpickers I am going to continue judging the art by how it appears on the cards. That is the medium the art is intended to be seen in, and as such it will be in my mind.

This is his thread, not yours? Maybe you should start a new thread to complain about the images that he is choosing to use in his thread?

This is how they appear on the cards.  He was talking about using the original art, something like this:

I'm using a better scan of the actual card image.  Whoever first scanned the Intrigue and Seaside cards did a real shit job.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2015, 12:43:36 pm »

I think his hand is in his pocket...
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2015, 01:39:40 pm »

I think his hand is in his pocket...

I think his hand is doing something else.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »
+3

23. Shanty Town

"But it's supposed to look crappy, that's the joke!" Thank you, commenter! Isn't everything easier when other people do your job for you? Someone mentioned earlier that I was being unfair to Harem because it's cartoony whereas cards like Mine are more realistic. I do want to stress that I don't dislike cartoon art or think it has no place in a serious game or anything. I just think the art in the game looks disjointed and strange when random cartoon-style images are sitting next to a horde of more traditional-looking art. As I said in the last attempt at this thread, there's nothing wrong with Kalusky's style inherently, but the lack of consistency is a perfectly legitimate complaint to make about Dominion's or any other game's art (which I have seen in plenty of reviews) and it's something that I'm not fond of personally. It doesn't ruin the game at all, but it's very much there.

And at any rate, I feel like Harem could at best be seen as #21 or so out of Intrigue by most, so it's an awfully strange card to jump on defending, but I of course have no intention of shutting down discussion.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2015, 05:05:32 pm »

Oh come on, jsh357, don't let somebody disagreeing with your order stop you from being funny. After all which art you prefer is subjective. And i certainly didn't say you were unfair, in fact i pointed out that besides being more realistic, Mine also lacks the flaws Harem has. I just happen to find realism boring, and to like oddballs and cartoons. Also, things that are generally liked don't need somebody to defend them.

Either way, the nature of this thread will mean people will disagree, and i didn't intend to offend you, honestly. Your thread has been very enjoyable, and the way you talked about the art, with all the little weird details you pointed out, made it worth reading on its own - regardless on whether i agree on a particular position or not.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »
+9

I'm not offended, I just felt the need to respond and defend my position a little since that post seemed to draw a lot of criticism this time around.

Also, nothing against you guys posting other pictures, but for people reading the thread through it might be kind of distracting, so for the sake of others I'll politely ask it be toned down unless there's a funny picture to entertain people or something.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2015, 07:22:30 pm »

The shanty-owner's head, although horrendously giant, somehow still manages to look as though its skull is nearly bursting through, in an almost reptilian way.

That central detail distracts me intensely from the rest of the card, which I think is at least not poorly drawn.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2015, 08:26:36 pm »
+5

Also, nothing against you guys posting other pictures, but for people reading the thread through it might be kind of distracting, so for the sake of others I'll politely ask it be toned down unless there's a funny picture to entertain people or something.

Can you at least use the better quality pictures on the wiki?  I'm assuming you're getting these from dieherstraits.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2015, 03:12:25 am »

As I said in the last attempt at this thread, there's nothing wrong with Kalusky's style inherently, but the lack of consistency is a perfectly legitimate complaint to make about Dominion's or any other game's art (which I have seen in plenty of reviews) and it's something that I'm not fond of personally. It doesn't ruin the game at all, but it's very much there.

And at any rate, I feel like Harem could at best be seen as #21 or so out of Intrigue by most, so it's an awfully strange card to jump on defending, but I of course have no intention of shutting down discussion.
I actually really dislike Kalusky's style. I'd totally put Harem at #25 and Shanty Town at #24 just because of the face of that guy inside the house... I really don't like it... Shanty Town is probably more okay because there are less people on it. The ladies on Harem are really atrocious.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:18:19 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2015, 03:41:31 am »
+1

If you folks want to be interactive, feel free to post your own ranking list of the Base Set here (I'd recommend a single post) and we can see how much you disagree with my wild claims.
I'll plan on doing this sometime soon.
My art ranking for the base set:

25 Chancellor (tier 5)
24 Woodcutter  (tier 5)
23 Smithy (tier 5)
22 Council Room (tier 5)
21 Cellar (tier 4)
20 Chapel (tier 4)
19 Moneylender (tier 4)
18 Militia (tier 4)
17 Witch (tier 4)
16 Festival (tier 4)
15 Gardens (tier 3)
14 Bureaucrat (tier 3)
13 Workshop (tier 3)
12 Moat (tier 3)
11 Remodel (tier 3)
10 Throne Room (tier 2)
9 Market (tier 2)
8 Adventurer (tier 2)
7 Mine (tier 2)
6 Feast (tier 2)
5 Village (tier 2)
4 Thief (tier 1)
3 Spy (tier 1)
2 Library (tier 1)
1 Laboratory (tier 1)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:44:58 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2015, 09:15:21 am »
+3

I feel like you should add the ranking list to the original post with links to the individual posts.  Of course it's a pain and takes time, but think of all the internet points you could get!

Japo

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2015, 11:52:25 am »
+9

Can we get an official ruling on the gender of the person in the red robe in the middle of the card?

I'm a woman and I'm very glad that Harem is painted in a "funny way". It feels strange to buy a Harem anyway so at least the picture is ironic.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:35 am »
+2

Can we get an official ruling on the gender of the person in the red robe in the middle of the card?

I'm a woman and I'm very glad that Harem is painted in a "funny way". It feels strange to buy a Harem anyway so at least the picture is ironic.

I like that they're all smirking.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2015, 03:03:45 pm »
+6

22. Steward

I think that more than anything it's the colors here that look gross, both in the scans and on the physical card. That weird blurry/foggy effect, which I assume is supposed to be some kind of shadow, does not seem artful. The man on the right's posture is strange too. I do like that the man on the left (I assume he is the actual Steward even though the guy in green is the focal point of the image) is offering what appears to be a plate of chicken vest to the snooty man. Now that I look, the guy on the right is doing the same. So we've been wrong all along and this card should be 'Stewards' plural.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »

The snooty man is the steward. A steward is in charge of a household.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2015, 04:05:36 pm »
+1

The snooty man is the steward. A steward is in charge of a household.

It honestly can work either way looking at the definitions of the word.  Either he's managing the two servants or they are stewards bringing him stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.