Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21  All

Author Topic: JSH's True Art Rankings  (Read 193097 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: JSH's True Art Rankings
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 10:52:55 am »

I think Thief will be first and Witch will be second.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 10:58:00 am »
+4

So witch will be 2nd and 15th, averaging out out to a solid 7,5th place?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 10:58:46 am »
+4

The shape in Laboratory is Hot Air Balloon.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 12:19:50 pm »
+11

With Laboratory 3rd, and Mine and Thief on the first two places, i finally see what makes Dominion art good for jsh357: Guys with pointy hats.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:44 pm »

So witch will be 2nd and 15th, averaging out out to a solid 7,5th place?
Yes. Library has slightly better art that the Witch, but Workshop? Witch can take 7.5 home.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
+8

2. Mine

I think these are some of the best-drawn human (or gnome) characters in Dominion. I particularly like the pose of the foremost miner. That hint of an action adds some depth to the art. Another thing that works for me here is the clothing, all properly wrinkly and fashionable. The mine is a humble set-piece, but with nice-looking inhabitants and excellent lighting and shading, it's easily among the best pictures in the Base Set.

1. Thief

Go figure one of the worst cards in the game has some of the best art. There's excellent use of color here, showing our well-attired, crooked friend sneaking out of a village under cover of the darkness. His facial expression and demeanor reminds me of one of my favorite gaming heroes, Garrett from the Thief series, as well. Also, let's face it: the thief is a stylin' vagabond. He clearly gets all of his shadowy attire from the finest tailors in the land. Tailor, huh. There's a good card name that hasn't happened yet.

Tomorrow I'll wrap up thoughts on the Base Set, taking a look at the box art, the backs of cards, trash pile, base cards, what have you. If you folks want to be interactive, feel free to post your own ranking list of the Base Set here (I'd recommend a single post) and we can see how much you disagree with my wild claims.

So real quick, let's take a peek at the base cards.

I feel like these were never asking for much. I'm okay with the simple designs, even if I personally think the big coins are a little ugly. The victory shields look fine. I will say I like playing with the original victory cards more than the fancy Base Cards ones simply because the values are larger. I'd say the same for Curses, but man, the new Curse art is nice. As for the original trash pile card, it looks like about what you'd expect, but maybe it's a bit too cartoony for the general tone of Dominion's artwork. Anyway, the original base cards get the job done, but they don't pop.

The Base Set's box art feels pretty average to me. It's not as nice looking as a lot of the later ones, and it seems to imply the game is going to have more of a war theme than it does with all those men carrying spears. As such, I feel like the art does not get across the theme of the game very well, inasmuch as the theme is important. I see Dominion as a game of warring economies and property development, not combat.  It's not a horrible picture by any means, but nothing inspiring either.

One last little criticism, since Mic has pointed it out to me in the past and I tend to agree. I'm really not a fan of how the backs of Dominion cards look. The logo is a little hard to read since it's blue on a different shade of blue (and that font is less than stylish). Blue and brown is also just a weird color scheme to me. There's nothing that can be done about this now, but for me it's one of the bigger problems with Dominion art overall. It feels like they went with an 'acceptable' that doesn't gel too well with nicer art in later sets.

On to NUMBERS, my overall average rating (out of 10) for the Base Set's cards is 6.4. Most of the art in the set is okay to good, but there are outliers in both directions. We'll see how it all compares down the line.

Next up: Probably Intrigue, but I'll let you guys decide.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:32:41 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2015, 11:00:13 pm »
+2

I think I overall agree with your ranking of the cards.  I must admit that I had not looked as closely at Spy before, probably because I never buy it.  It is much better than it appears at first glance.  There is also a lot more going on in Lab than I appreciated.  I think your final rating for the overall set is very good.  And in regard to the box cover, I actually had that impression of it as a war game when I saw the cover.  I didn't look too closely at the game at first because of that.  Fortunately, I later took time to look closer at the mechanics and components of the game and gave it a chance, which I am extremely glad I did.

It is fun to look at these cards for their aesthetics in art rather than the usual way we discuss them.  Thanks for taking the time to do this.  I personally would like to see you go on to the next set in order of release, Intrigue.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »
+3

Part 2: Intrigue

The cards in Intrigue are meant to give us a peek in to that more mature, Machiavellian aspect of running a kingdom. Deals are made, parties are held, people disappear, bacon goes bad. Does the art reflect that? Well, some of it does. Some of it's really cute. Some of it is just confusing. Let's start off with the Kalusky marathon!

25. Harem

We all know it, we all love it on some level deep in our hearts. I feel like you can make all kinds of excuses for Harem's weird art, but at the end of the day it doesn't fit the art style of the game and even if we were not taking that in to account I wouldn't have much nice to say about it. Harem gets some points for being funny and that's it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »

Also the red colour scheme mixing with the green-yellow Treasure-VP frame. What is this, Christmas?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »
+3

at the end of the day it doesn't fit the art style of the game

IMO Dominion's art style IS that card art represents different genres, and i think it's refreshing. In fact, personally i find Harem's art easily more appealing than Mine's (hear me out on this one).

One reason for this is that i like cartoon art. And even though this one is a bit goofy, it still beats dark men in front of a dark background in my book. Accoring to the Wiki, Mine's original art is a tone lighter then what we see on the card, but hey, we talk about the art on the actual cards, right? And obviously you could argue that Mine's art is "higher quality" because it's more realistic and pretty much flawless, but that's part of what makes it so boring to me. Harem is goofy, but entertaining.

Which leads me to the second reason why i prefer Harem's art over Mine's: Its functional role as a game component. Harem's art stands out, which in turn makes the card more memorable, which is something you want in a game where you have to keep 10 different cards in mind. Admittedly, being the only Treasure-Victory card, Harem becomes even easier to recognize because of its color scheme, but again, we talk about the art on the cards, not the art in a vakuum. Also, i think the color combination looks nice.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2015, 05:10:46 pm »
+4

Well in practice when I play with Harem, it comes off as really exotic with its colours, which kinda fits I suppose. When I play with Mine, I imagine it as the "black card". Mint is that " kinda black card with blue in it". I ultimately don't mind card art because they get the job done of letting me associate an effect with a picture.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2015, 07:05:00 pm »

As we kick off the Intrigue part, I find myself immediately disagreeing with JSH. I mean, you think Harem is worse than Great Hall?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2015, 07:26:47 pm »

Posting here to get updates. I can't wait until you get to Alayna Lemmer's art - I frickin ADORE her.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2015, 07:29:28 pm »
+1

Apparently harem art is the new meta. Sorry guys, clearly not hip enough.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2015, 08:47:48 pm »
+1

I can't wait until you get to Alayna Lemmer's art - I frickin ADORE her.

I never paid any attention to which artists did which Dominion cards before, but this post inspired me to take a couple minutes and browse the illustrators page on the wiki. It's interesting to look at each illustrator's set of cards.

If you folks want to be interactive, feel free to post your own ranking list of the Base Set here (I'd recommend a single post) and we can see how much you disagree with my wild claims.
I'll plan on doing this sometime soon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:14:51 am by LibraryAdventurer »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2015, 09:22:23 pm »
+8

Hey, jsh: want to use the new images of the cards that I meticulously scanned and uploaded to the wiki?

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2015, 10:45:50 pm »
+3

Can we get an official ruling on the gender of the person in the red robe in the middle of the card?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2015, 11:59:23 pm »

Can we get an official ruling on the gender of the person in the red robe in the middle of the card?

Yes

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2015, 04:10:57 am »
+4

You'll have to ask Maura.

I can totally see a few Intrigue cards being lower than Harem for most people. For starters, man, Shanty Town is the same artist/style with none of the charm.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2015, 07:18:36 am »
+2

You'll have to ask Maura.

I can totally see a few Intrigue cards being lower than Harem for most people. For starters, man, Shanty Town is the same artist/style with none of the charm.
Nah I see Shanty Town being the one with the charm.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2015, 08:42:08 am »

I think Shanty Town is pretty good actually. It has some nice strong centers and a lot of unobtrusive background, unlike Harem which is just a huge indecipherable mess.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2015, 08:43:57 am »

What are those things that are poking out of the barrel on the bottom right???
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2015, 09:00:10 am »
+1

That's a board game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2015, 09:22:40 am »
+2

dildos

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2015, 09:30:52 am »
+1

Notice the woman on the far right has one in her hand. So, it's some sort of tobacco?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.