Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21  All

Author Topic: JSH's True Art Rankings  (Read 193153 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: JSH's True Art Rankings
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
+2

13. Adventurer

The Adventurer has a cool map-reading pose, and he's gazing out at the mountains, implying an epic journey taking place. That mental image counts for a lot; it counts for enough to make Adventurer one of the nicer looking cards in the set. Considering only the technical details of the grass and rocks, proportions, and whatnot I'm not all that impressed with the picture, but concept wins out over the details here. It has a cartoonier style than other cards in the expansion, but also doesn't clash as much as Harem or Shanty Town in Intrigue. Blue is a nice color, isn't it? Blue, blue.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
+1

I never noticed that awfully drawn grass. Now i can't unsee it. Either way, i would argue that Adventurer is much, much worse than Remodel or Chapel.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »
+2

12. Spy

I think this spy started staking out the area a bit too early in the day. He blends in with the building well enough, but someone could easily see him up there. On the bright side, he looks pretty cool. It's funny how you won't notice little details even after already doing one card art list; I never noticed the spy was holding a rope. The gargoyle is a nice touch, too. This picture has come up a lot in my estimation.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »

I just noticed the wings of that stone creature and checked one of my physical cards. It's hardly visible, you have to know it.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 05:49:52 pm »
+4

11. Bureaucrat

You have to hand it to the B-crat, he makes the pink shirt work. This picture is apparently a self-portrait, and it seems fairly flattering, though I'm not sure why you'd want to paint yourself as a bureaucrat. I suppose it was difficult to find a good reference to work with. Look how cool this middle-management hipster is. Just emptily gazing around the room like he doesn't even care. I think this card art could easily be swapped around with the next three, for the record, but this is where I'm ranking it.

10. Gardens

Although Gardens has some of the same perspective issue seen on Council Room, in general it's a prettier picture so it gets more of a pass. The peacock is a nice little touch that adds some character, and what can I say, I enjoy looking at a clean garden. I suppose the picture is a little blurry, but that is less noticeable on the actual card.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:49:48 pm by jsh357 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2015, 04:50:26 pm »

The perspective issue doesn't bother me.  It's supposed to be, well, artistic.  :P
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2015, 03:00:23 pm »
+6

9. Moat

Bet you didn't see this one coming. I know I didn't because I hardly ever take the time to look at Moat's art, but it sure does look nice. The gray palette, while normally a bit dull, works here, giving the card a certain old-school vibe. I like the plants here a lot, which show this is a stronghold that has stood up long enough to have some weeds climbing the sides. The reflections in the water are maybe not entirely accurate, but show some thought on the part of the artist. Moat's art also works well with the Reaction Blue color scheme, which clashes with a few reactions down the road.

8. Workshop

Workshop has a simplistic style, but a large amount of objects that give you enough to come out saying "this certainly is a Workshop." There is some nice use of color here; I especially love the giant chicken legs contrasting with the finely lit wooden walls. It's a solid piece of art to help round out the set.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:54:12 pm by jsh357 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2015, 10:39:45 pm »

Chicken legs?  What chicken legs?  Did you put that just to see if people were paying attention?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:34 pm »
+1

Chicken legs?  What chicken legs?  Did you put that just to see if people were paying attention?

They are hanging next to the lamp

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2015, 11:29:11 pm »

There are no chicken legs in that picture.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:03 pm »
+7

Are you new to these threads or something?

7. Library

We have reached the cream of the base set crop. All of the card art from this point is stuff I'd rank with the best overall. The library seen here is loaded with books, and even though all of the diagonal ones look the same, it seems individual care was given to the detail of most of the books by the artist. A nice tile floor, grand pillars, and fine mahogany give the library a grand feeling worthy of its creative combo potential.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:50:12 pm by jsh357 »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2015, 11:56:18 pm »

Are you new to these threads or something?

You should really trademark your individualised stylistic device. Maybe as jshtaphor?

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2015, 12:52:13 am »

Yay for Library!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »
+7

6. Feast

It's the final Catrein card art for Base; he had quite the range of selections. Although I will say these aren't my favorite looking people in Dominion art, I think the artist did a good job depicting a joyous feast. Everyone's having a good time here, all the women are looking at the back of the room, and the front of the table cloth looks like legs in a pair of white pants. They're going to be very disappointed when this Feast turns in to a highway and another beautiful building falls victim to urban development.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2015, 07:06:46 pm »

That is a vest.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2015, 07:19:54 pm »
+13

That is a vest.

Why would someone wear a vest made of chicken legs?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
+6

That is a vest.

Why would someone wear a vest made of chicken legs?
Why wouldn't someone wear a vest made of chicken legs?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »
+7

5. Village

The nature of this card makes it an iconic part of the Dominion experience, so it's nice that there's some good art to back Village up. It's neat that the artist chose to focus on the traveler's journey to an upcoming village rather than the village itself. This adds a sense of life and reality to the card. I am a bit confused by the split path beneath the traveler's horse, though. Is this a road for gnomes and brownies traveling to and from the village? Is the pictured traveler actually a giant heading toward a munchkin village that is not actually in the distance? Am I just messing with you people who take everything I write at face value?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »
+5

Split path is caused by a horse walking down the middle pulling a wagon with two wheel making the paths on each side.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2015, 06:46:59 pm »

But why do they merge to one wide single path? Maybe they lead from different villages to vanilla village, right?

Take a look at the no-head-shadow on the left, the horse blankets are transparent for sunlight.
Nevertheless, I like that picture, the colors, the contrast, the clouds, the wind, the details, the atmosphere. :) I agree, it's one of the best cards from base.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:06:09 pm by sc0UT »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2015, 06:23:17 pm »
+2

4. Throne Room

The vampire's blood-red Throne Room is a sight to behold, worthy of its regal name. Sure, the chandeliers aren't as symmetrical as they should be, but we're not going to focus on that here. Instead, we'll admire the fine ceiling pattern and sheer variety of red shades. It's a throne room worthy of a dashing Prince. Man, too bad about that one.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:11 pm »
+2

I bet a lot of people died hitting their head on that rather low-hanging left chandelier. "Hey guys, look at me, i'm Duke, i totally love posing at windooooAAARRRRGHHH!!!"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:30:52 pm by Asper »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2015, 08:50:42 am »
+12

"Your Grace, what colour shall we make the floors of your throne room?"
"Red"
"And the walls?"
"Red"
"And the curtains?"
"Red"
"And the ceiling?"
"Red"
"And the adornments?"
"Red"
"Do you want to augment with any other colours?"
"Red"
"Yes,  your Grace."

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »
+4

3. Laboratory

This is one cool-looking lab. Little details are waiting here to be discovered like the chains hanging from the ceiling and that curious electric-looking device up on the pillar. The lab workers seem to have come out of a fantasy universe, which I guess means this is supposed to be an alchemist's laboratory. The only real issue I have with this art is that the brightly lit center portion (containing the chandelier) stands out a bit too much at the distance you are normally looking at the card from, and I often only see that when playing with it. In fact, when I envision this card's art in my mind, that shape is all I can think of.  Well, it's still one of the better looking Dominion cards, so that's me being extremely picky.

Obviously, there is no point leaving anyone in suspense about number 1, so I'll be posting two cards tomorrow and then moving on to the Base Set as a whole after that.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 12:41:34 am »
+3

The only real issue I have with this art is that the brightly lit center portion (containing the chandelier) stands out a bit too much at the distance you are normally looking at the card from, and I often only see that when playing with it.

I only see that part too, unless I'm really looking hard at the picture and trying to see it as a laboratory.  When I'm not thinking about it, I automatically see it as MetaKnight's mask.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.