Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21  All

Author Topic: JSH's True Art Rankings  (Read 193202 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: JSH's True Art Rankings
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 04:36:52 pm »
+8

19. Militia

Two of the least fashionable guys in Dominion art right here, folks. Sure, the one guy has a nice beard, but wearing his fur coat thing over a red shirt is a fashion no-no right up there with blue polka dots before Colombus Day. Also, having your fur hang in uneven lengths over your chest is like the popped collar of the middle ages. His balding friend fares no better with his ugly scale armor and his blade blends in so weirdly with the armor that he appears to have left his weapon behind. Edit: Actually, holy cow, I am seeing an optical illusion. He's not carrying his blade. Someone should probably send this Miltia to a support group before they go spreading their bad taste all over the kingdom.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:54:56 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
+7

23. Woodcutter
Sometimes I think if I stare hard enough, maybe this picture makes sense. Actually, I did some thinking on this not long ago, and I guess it's possible that someone came along and started cutting the tree, then went out on lunch break, and then these two saps showed up and started cutting a new wound. I don't know if the average person wants to go to those lengths to defend the canon of Dominion card art backstories. Instead, I'm just going to assume the artist didn't think this through all the way.

So has anyone round here cut down a tree that size?

If someone who had cut down a tree that big came up and told me that the best way to do it was to use you axes to strip of the bark and outer layer of wood and then get out you two-man saw ... I might well be inclined to believe them.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 12:32:11 pm »
+5

So has anyone round here cut down a tree that size?

If someone who had cut down a tree that big came up and told me that the best way to do it was to use you axes to strip of the bark and outer layer of wood and then get out you two-man saw ... I might well be inclined to believe them.

That's what these people do.

I don't know for sure why the bark gets stripped first, but I do know that bark contains dirt, and dirt dulls saw blades much faster than wood, so maybe that's why.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:24:43 pm by pubby »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:36 pm »
+2

The sad thing is that, no matter how accurate or inaccurate the depiction is, they still look ugly doing it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 01:19:20 pm »

Philosoraptor: If Woodcutter is singular, why does its art depict two people?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 01:33:43 pm »
+7

Philosoraptor: If Woodcutter is singular, why does its art depict two people?

I could be using the noun as a classification.

Are we human, or are we woodcutter?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 02:02:10 pm »
+3

The bark strip that they made is a horrendous diagonal mess, and they started sawing into it way too low. Soon the guy on the left will be sawing through bark anyway. There's a reason these people work all day, then barely muster two coin and a buy.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »
+5

18. Market

Here's another case of 'well, it's not bad, but it's not that great either.' To the picture's credit, there's a lot of detail here, and I'd certainly put this one a tier above the previous listed cards. Take a look at the old guy, second from the left, though. Is that not the most disturbing gentleman seen on any Dominion card? He looks like a Sith lord or some kind of dark wizard just casually browsing this innocent market.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 05:54:37 pm »
+2

Take a look at the old guy, second from the left, though. Is that not the most disturbing gentleman seen on any Dominion card? He looks like a Sith lord or some kind of dark wizard just casually browsing this innocent market.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed! ...oh wait...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 12:43:05 pm »

Thank you so much for starting this up again.  It was a big favorite of mine when you were doing it earlier. 

In regard to Smithy, I have to say that when I look at it, it really worries me that someone is going to cut something off that they would prefer to keep.  Shouldn't you be hammering on the axe with it laying flat on the anvil rather than standing up like that?  If he hits that axe head a little too far to the right, the guy holding it may get his beard shaved and more.  I don't think OSHA would be in favor of doing the job this way.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »

Thank you so much for starting this up again.  It was a big favorite of mine when you were doing it earlier. 

In regard to Smithy, I have to say that when I look at it, it really worries me that someone is going to cut something off that they would prefer to keep.  Shouldn't you be hammering on the axe with it laying flat on the anvil rather than standing up like that?  If he hits that axe head a little too far to the right, the guy holding it may get his beard shaved and more.  I don't think OSHA would be in favor of doing the job this way.

You've clearly never studied basic axe construction. An axe handle has a thin groove cut down the middle of the handle (bridle joint) at the end where the head is installed. After the head is placed onto the handle a wedge is driven into the groove to secure the head onto the handle. It would be near impossible to perform this installation with the axe upside down.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:18:06 pm by pingpongsam »
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »
+3

17. Moneylender

The Moneylender is dressed appropriately and takes his job very seriously. Volumes of literature adorn his shelves, and the candle indicates he works deep into the night. There's nothing wrong with the way he looks, but he could stand to get a better hat if he plans on winning this pageant. It's also difficult to make out what he's writing there. I guess the folks borrowing money are still getting to keep it off public record hundreds of years down the road. What's funny is you could probably swap this card art on to something like "Scholar" or "Taxman" or "Accountant" or "Hot Air Balloon" and nobody could tell the difference.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:59:15 pm by jsh357 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 07:15:16 pm »
+8

It's also difficult to make out what he's writing there.

Looks like sudoku.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:30 pm »

Looks like sudoku.

Or many many solitaire games of Tic-Tac-Toe.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:30 pm »
+2

Looks like sudoku.

or a moneylending book

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 10:10:54 pm »
+3

Looks like sudoku.

or a moneylending book

I think it's a coloring book.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 12:13:25 am »
+4

He's designing a board game, obviously.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 06:52:38 pm »
+4

16. Chapel

Just lookie here at this darlin' card. Ain't it symmetrical? Symmetrical as a baby's behind. Sorry about that; I come from the South. Something notable about this Chapel is that it's completely empty. Maybe the people have abandoned religion due to the dominance of Witches in their kingdoms. Maybe the artist took a snapshot on a weekday. It could be night; I'm not sure if the glass in the center is a window or stained glass. Well, either way let's keep the glass half full. I think all the pictures above this one are at least 'above average.' We're out of the lower tier now for this set of cards. Rejoice and gather; there's a whole empty Chapel here to do it in even.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 09:35:49 pm »
+2

It's stained glass.  You can see the colored light on the altar and floor.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2015, 03:19:06 pm »
+4

15. Witch

How come there aren't warlocks in Dominion, huh? Only women get to be magical beings? I'm gonna start picketing right now. Well, in a while. I'll get back to you guys on that one. Here we see the return of the butt chin, but at least the Witch looks more sinister than the Chancellor did. Is she really? Who can say. I'd probably vote for her over that guy. I'm not sure why this lady is conjuring a cartoony yellow apple with fangs, but sometimes you have to stop asking questions and accept surreality.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:23 pm »
+2

>asks questions for Chapel
>doesn't ask questions for Witch

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2015, 05:15:17 pm »

You've clearly never studied basic axe construction. An axe handle has a thin groove cut down the middle of the handle (bridle joint) at the end where the head is installed. After the head is placed onto the handle a wedge is driven into the groove to secure the head onto the handle. It would be near impossible to perform this installation with the axe upside down.

I see the wedge now. Thanks for pointing that out. I always thought he was doing something to continue fashioning the blade. Either way, I would not want to be the guy holding it.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »
+2

14. Cellar

With its dark blue, brown, and black hues, the Cellar's art can be tricky to make out on the printed cards. It's a nice little picture, but not a particular stand-out of its set. I do want to take a moment to comment on Catrein's style as long as we're on a boring picture here. You may have noticed he was the artist for nearly every picture in the set so far. (cut him some slack if some art is better than others, as he drew the overwhelming majority of art in the base set overall) In my humble opinion, Catrein's landscape and environmental art in Dominion is a lot more visually appealing and fitting than his drawings of humans and random objects ("still life" i guess), which is why you'll see more of that in the upper half here. I looked around at other art Catrein's done to see if that was consistent in all his work, but as far as I can tell it's only an issue in Dominion. I don't have a point to make here; all I'm saying is I like Cellar and Gardens a whole lot more than Chancellor and Militia. Perhaps you all have other opinions.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2015, 04:57:04 pm »

I actually like Militia quite a bit, one of the best of the Base Set IMHO.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.