Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Artificer and Tactician  (Read 1767 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Combo: Artificer and Tactician
« on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:22 pm »
+5

Maybe this is really obvious, or not a very compelling combo, or anything like that, but I think there's a really interesting synergy to be had here that's worth discussing. This also really isn't much of an article (yet; I can write one if this turns out to not be that stupid), but I only see Combo posts in this forum instead of the General forum so I put this here.

The basic idea is pretty simple: Get 2 Tactician and at least 1 (really, at least 2 to be safe) Artificer. Play a Tactician. With your 10 card hand, use Artificer, discard 8 cards, topdeck a Province, play your other Tactician, discard your remaining card, and repeat to gain a Province every turn. One Province a turn once you own 4 or more $5-cost cards doesn't sound that great, but it has a few things going for it, and the combo can be helped with a variety of supporting cards.

• Artificer, in the absence of handsize reduction attacks, can always gain you a $5 cost card. So you only need to hit $5 once to pick up the first Artificer, then Artificer can grab the rest of the combo pieces for you, right to the top of your deck!
  • If after executing the combo, your last card in hand (other than Tacticican) is any other cantrip, you can draw the Province quick before you play your second Tactician.
  • The presence of Gear greatly enhances the combo as you can set a second Artificer aside to guarantee you'll hit the combo on your next turn. Haven would work but it reduces your handsize which means Tactician doesn't have a card to discard.
  • Card draw with multiple Artificers can really help this out as you can gain a Province + an Artificer to keep the combo going.

On the right board, it's not impossible to get this combo firing on Turn 8-10, giving you to Turn 12-14 to get 4 Provinces. Not the worst thing ever, and certainly an option on some boards. It's a bit easier than double Tactician in many cases (e.g. in the absence of a Village). Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:27:20 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Artificer and Tactician
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »

While the synergy is genuine, the "payload" turns sound somewhat less impressive than good old Tactician-Vault. Nonetheless, I will admit that Artificer is better at building the deck up to begin with, especially with the gaining and topdecking of $5 cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.