Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Whose deck will fall apart first? (vs Seprix)  (Read 1417 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Whose deck will fall apart first? (vs Seprix)
« on: August 10, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »

Code: [Select]
Transmute, Candlestick Maker, Stonemason, Loan, Feodum, Herald, Ghost Ship, Highway, Laboratory, Harem
Log.

Last night I played this game with Seprix. It had Highway, Stonemason, AND cheap +Buy, so watching the piles was critical. During turn 11, the piles were so low that I thought I might lose if I did any more significant building (also since Seprix had more +Buys than I did) so I went green and thus began our low-green-off and unintentional race to destroy our decks. It was pretty tense for a while, each of us trying to pull ahead while trying not to touch the vulnerable action piles too early, but he ended up getting tired and essentially forfeiting by running out two of the piles.

Thing is though, I'm pretty sure he had a fighting chance at the win had he not given up. Even though he had less action density than I did (and PLEASE don't ask why we didn't buy Labs), he did have more treasure and +Buys, while I was slowly running out of actual buying power.

I don't know for sure though, so can I get some opinions?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Whose deck will fall apart first? (vs Seprix)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:06:02 pm »

Thing is though, I'm pretty sure he had a fighting chance at the win had he not given up. Even though he had less action density than I did (and PLEASE don't ask why we didn't buy Labs), he did have more treasure and +Buys, while I was slowly running out of actual buying power.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the details here, but I'm pretty sure that having more Treasure is purely a disadvantage here. Having more CSMs to the extent that Seprix did is also disadvantageous. If you're playing a cost-reduction-based payload engine and you already have 5 Highways, putting a bunch of Coppers into your deck is not going to increase your actual buying power.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:09:22 pm »

Tracking Seprix's deck would have come in handy turn 11. He played all his draw cards turn 10, so it's very unlikely for him to win next turn. This means you can continue building.

If you're still worried about score: consider trashing Copper over Estate turn 11.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:11:32 pm by pubby »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »

There is a 'trap' with stonemasons, even a highway kingdom like this one, of buying too many stonemasons to gain cheap actions. When it comes to playing the stonemasons there will only be cheap cards in the deck that can be trashed for even cheaper (weaker) cards, so the deck clogs up. Even so your deck looks quite good at about 10 but I think you go wrong with the cards put onto the deck after the ghost ship. If you save your highways for the next turn and just trash a copper with the stonemason then you get the chance of a big turn to set up your endgame.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.618 seconds with 20 queries.