Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I'm proud of this one  (Read 2421 times)

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
I'm proud of this one
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:54:40 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-094852-c2c0184c.html

So the board is:
Black Market, Cellar, Chapel, Conspirator, Menagerie, Mountebank, Pearl Diver, Potion, Scrying Pool, Woodcutter, and Young Witch ( Warehouse♦ )

I look at this board, and say, in what I think was kind of a brave move, "I'm going to open Potion/Chapel."  My plan is, "trash down to a slim deck, go Scrying Pool at first, suck up his curses with the knowledge that my Scrying Pools sift my Curses and draw my Chapel, then once I get three or four Scrying Pools, I'll be able to go Scrying Pool/Conspirator and tack on a Mountebank to catch up on cursing, and I'll draw my Mountebank every round so it'll be okay."

And, yes, that's exactly what happened.  I think that's the first time that, outside of some very obvious big money games, I've just completely thought out the entire game in advance and had it go exactly to plan.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: I'm proud of this one
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

I guess it's true that the game progresses as you planned...

Still, it is usually worth looking at what your opponent was doing.

Your opponent opened cellar+YW opening... alright, I am not so sure where is his money going to be from... I'd rather go Silver+YW if I am to open YW at all.

Now, he didn't draw his YW until turn 5 (despite the fact that he could have drawn it using his precious cellar bought prior to silver at turn 4) and the first two time he didn't use his cellar in hand and it was treated as a dead card. Also he got a chapel at the third shuffle (maybe?) render his whole strategy inconsistent. Frankly speaking you could probably win playing any reasonable strategy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:13:30 pm »

— omgwhodat's turn 1 —
   omgwhodat plays 3 Coppers.
   omgwhodat buys a Cellar.

I struggle to think of any possible kingdom in which this snippet of log could represent a good move.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »

^I'm sure there are some. But this game has warehouse (as the bane card no less)...

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »

Though as a Bane it was irrelevant, since I never bought Young Witch.

Yeah, my opponent wasn't terribly skilled.  He bought a ton of Mountebanks and Young Witches, and broadly didn't have a notable plan.  He may well have intended to buy Chapel with his opening and got Cellar by accident?  That's a mistake I've made.

On the other hand, I bought all 8 Provinces, four of them by turn 17 in a heavy cursing game.  I played Mountebank something like 7 times.  Given that the one thing that omgwhodat did as well as could be hoped was slow me down, I think it's fair to say I could've done pretty well in the face of a much more serious opponent.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »

— omgwhodat's turn 1 —
   omgwhodat plays 3 Coppers.
   omgwhodat buys a Cellar.

I struggle to think of any possible kingdom in which this snippet of log could represent a good move.
Cellar/TM or Cellar/SeaHag isn't too shabby. But as HME says, warehouse is out there...

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »

I think the core idea is good. I think your deck would be improved by picking up a Woodcutter fairly early - while some Mountebanking is good, the diminishing returns of future Mountebanks are such that the huge improvement in engine building Woodcutter offers at some point becomes more important. Turns where you can buy Conspirator/Pool, Conspirator/Conspirator, Province/Pool, Province/Conspirator, etc. are very useful.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:29:20 am »

I think the core idea is good. I think your deck would be improved by picking up a Woodcutter fairly early - while some Mountebanking is good, the diminishing returns of future Mountebanks are such that the huge improvement in engine building Woodcutter offers at some point becomes more important. Turns where you can buy Conspirator/Pool, Conspirator/Conspirator, Province/Pool, Province/Conspirator, etc. are very useful.

Yeah, I thought hard about Woodcutter and never found the right place to put him in.  I think you're right that there's probably room for improvement there.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.