Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Magic: the Gathering  (Read 3107 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Magic: the Gathering
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:18 am »

Just curious, does anyone here play MtG (more than just kitchen table magic though). Ultimately Magic is what ended up ending my time playing Dominion as often as I did. I got into Standard right when Theros came out and fell in love with Gx stompy midrange decks.

Please, feel free to tell stories, or just tell me what your favorite deck/format is.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: the Gathering
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »

This might get a little more applicable traffic in the non-Dominion games thread. But this is general, so I see no problem with it being here.

I actually stopped playing just as Dark came out. I wasn't playing that much anymore, and getting money off my collection was more important to me at the time. I had a great deal with Legends. Due to it being so limited, the value was increased a lot. A visiting friend said he found two boxes at retail from a dinky store. I didn't believe him, but then I saw them. He wanted to sell them, but he wanted the money quick. I bought them for $5 a pack with the caveat that I was going to sell them for more. He was pretty happy with the 100% return, and I set about to selling them. I sold them to locals mostly. I was in a college town with no gaming stores, so the locals appreciated the ability to buy this OOP set. I started selling the packs online for $20 but then realized that I could make more breaking them apart. Each Uncommon was guaranteed minimum $5. A poor Rare might have been $8, but the dragons sold for at least $25. Not too shabby.

Before I quit, my favorite deck was a Black Vise deck. It was a lot of fun. I don't remember every little detail, but I remember a good chunk: 13 Black Vises, a few sets of Urza's Lands, some Islands, Howling Mines, a couple of Brain Geysers, one Ancestral Recall (wish I had more), and whatever I could think of to get more cards drawn. It was pretty degenerative, and it only lost to an equally degenerative Lightning Bolt deck. 

I kind of miss the innocent days when we didn't realize the true benefit of a trimmed deck. We just threw together cards we liked and often played decks with 100+ cards in them. It was whimsical.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »

I play draft, sealed, and standard.  Trying out a qualifier tournament this weekend.

It is one of the best strategy board games out there, which is why it can get away with being expensive as hell, although I wish it wasn't as expensive as hell.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:44:39 pm by popsofctown »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:10:12 pm »

I wish it wasn't as expensive as hell.

How expensive is hell?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
+4

How expensive is hell?

It costs one soul to go to Hell.
Since Magic is expensive as Hell, it costs one soul to play.
You then have no soul to go to Hell.
Conclusion: Play Magic; avoid Hell.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »

Magic is exactly as expensive as hell.  See, back in the 90s, we found out that Magic: the Gathering was a cult game made by people who wanted to find new ways to worship Satan.  Thus, playing it gets you sent to hell.  But to play Magic, you have to buy Magic.  So the minimum amount of $ you need to get to hell is how much it costs you to get into Magic.  Ergo, Magic is as expensive as hell.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 03:56:01 pm »
+1

How expensive is hell?

It costs one soul to go to Hell.
Since Magic is expensive as Hell, it costs one soul to play.
You then have no soul to go to Hell.
Conclusion: Play Magic; avoid Hell.

I was expecting "it's as expensive as Magic".  :(
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

I've been following Magic in some way or another since Worldwake. I don't play Constructed, but I play Limited every once in a while, some sets more than others (played a lot of Innistrad limited, that set was great), especially pre-releases and I went to a couple of limited GPs too. I also watch all the Pro Tours and generally the GP Top 8s.

I think MTG is a great game. The financial aspect is both a boon and a curse, as it's an integral part of it having an evolving metagame that's fascinating to follow, and a limited experience that changes pretty radically every six months or so. Mechanically, I preferred the WoW TCG to it (played a lot that, RIP), as it had a much better mana system, but MTG is just too big for anything too similar to exist.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »

I play.
A lot.
Standard, Modern, Tiny Leaders, All sorts of limited, I also got my own cube (proxied tho).
I play most big tournaments here in Serbia and nearby.
I still didn't go to a GP, but I plan once I get a job and can afford it.

And I have to brag that recently me and my buddy (whom I collect with) finally completed 40/40 Fetchlands and Shocklands and got us 4 Tarmogoyfs.  ;D ;D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 12:13:21 am »
+3

Actually FNM left a bad feeling in my mouth, so maybe I won't be playing magic anymore. 

I was slowly building a budget red deck that didn't use any token cards or token enablers, since I knew the token cards like Goblin Rabblemaster and Mana Confluence were expensive.  So I was specifically picking out a strategy that would be mutually exclusive with that: Using Abbot of Keral Keep and Mardu Scout instead of Dragon Fodder and Atarka's Command, and Exquisite Firecraft instead of Goblin Rabblemaster.  I was having an easy time trading for the cards I needed 1 or 2 at a time each week at FNM, in between games, trading away strong rares from other colors.

But then this past weekend, a deck using Abbot of Keral Keep and Exquisite Firecraft won the pro tour, so the price of those cards shot up.  I already had the Abbots, but just needed one or two more Firecrafts for my deck to be cohesive.  It's not just that the Firecrafts are expensive now, I have lots of black, blue, green, and white cards with real value in my binder.  It's that no one has them available now, they traded them immediately to friends who were building copycat decks.

tl;dr, even when I was trying as hard as possible to build the cheapest quasicompetitive deck I could, meta shifts made it less cheap.  Which might mean I'm a good deckbuilder for designing something with some similarity to what won the Pro Tour, but all I get for that is a kick in the butt.

I would really wish one of those LCGs would take off, like Netrunner. I like everything about Netrunner except for all the mechanics of the actual game, which is kind of an issue.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 12:40:25 pm »

I would really wish one of those LCGs would take off, like Netrunner. I like everything about Netrunner except for all the mechanics of the actual game, which is kind of an issue.

I'll keep you in mind for my alpha testers list.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 10:17:12 pm »

Actually FNM left a bad feeling in my mouth, so maybe I won't be playing magic anymore. 

I was slowly building a budget red deck that didn't use any token cards or token enablers, since I knew the token cards like Goblin Rabblemaster and Mana Confluence were expensive.  So I was specifically picking out a strategy that would be mutually exclusive with that: Using Abbot of Keral Keep and Mardu Scout instead of Dragon Fodder and Atarka's Command, and Exquisite Firecraft instead of Goblin Rabblemaster.  I was having an easy time trading for the cards I needed 1 or 2 at a time each week at FNM, in between games, trading away strong rares from other colors.

But then this past weekend, a deck using Abbot of Keral Keep and Exquisite Firecraft won the pro tour, so the price of those cards shot up.  I already had the Abbots, but just needed one or two more Firecrafts for my deck to be cohesive.  It's not just that the Firecrafts are expensive now, I have lots of black, blue, green, and white cards with real value in my binder.  It's that no one has them available now, they traded them immediately to friends who were building copycat decks.

tl;dr, even when I was trying as hard as possible to build the cheapest quasicompetitive deck I could, meta shifts made it less cheap.  Which might mean I'm a good deckbuilder for designing something with some similarity to what won the Pro Tour, but all I get for that is a kick in the butt.

that left you salty? I mean, you predicted a card, that's pretty cool, even if it makes one card hard to get. If you're having trouble getting cards, just scrounge up $15 and go infinite in drafts. It's slow, but it's how I got/traded for my GRu Dragons deck.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 11:13:51 pm »

I played for like six months when Shivan Dragon was awesome and my swords to plowshares / kismet deck was super.

An ice age or frozen something came out and I ran out of money.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 04:13:20 am »

that left you salty? I mean, you predicted a card, that's pretty cool, even if it makes one card hard to get. If you're having trouble getting cards, just scrounge up $15 and go infinite in drafts. It's slow, but it's how I got/traded for my GRu Dragons deck.

All the consequences of the "pretty cool" prediction seem negative for me, so yeah, it doesn't put a smile on my face. 

I do draft, and I win pretty consistently at it, but as I explained getting a binder full of value isn't the issue, it's the inconvenience and pain-in-the-ass involved with the commerce process.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.