Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gray's Cards revisited.  (Read 7066 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Gray's Cards revisited.
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:13:42 am »
+1

After having neglected Dominion for nearly 18 months to play MtG, I've decided to brush up on my skills, and work on my fan set, which still hasn't been completed. These are the cards so far:

Abandoned Village
Action-Reaction: $4
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--------------------
When a player gains a victory card, you may
set this aside from your hand. If you do, gain
a Silver, putting it into your hand. Return this
to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Bath House
Action: $4
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash 1 or 3 cards from your hand

Archer
Action: $4
+1 Buy
+$1
You may discard a card. If you do, +2 cards.
(A suggestion made by LibraryAdventurer. The old version feels farily similar, but I've liked playing with this version as well.)

Missionary
Action-Reaction: $2
Trash 2 cards from your hand.
-------------------
When you would gain a card, you may discard
this from your hand. If you do, instead gain a
card costing exactly $1 more.

Scribe
Action: $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card. While this is in
play, when you gain the named card, put it on
top of your deck.

Panacea
Action: $3p
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1, +1 Buy; or trash
a card from your hand.

Assassin
Action-Attack: $5
+$2
You may put your deck into your discard pile.
Each other player gains a curse.

Tailor
Action: $2
+2 Cards
When you gain or play this, you may put a card
from your discard pile on the bottom of your deck.

Prospector
Action: $5
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +$2; or draw
until you have 5 cards in hand.

Polymorph
Action: $2P
+1 Action
Return the top card of your deck to the supply. Gain a card
with the same cost as the returned card, putting it into your hand.

Not much has changed since that 2014 expansion, but this will act as the official thread for my set from this point on. Feel free to make suggestions, test the cards and tell me what you found, etc.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:57:20 pm by Graystripe77 »

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Re: Gray's Cards revisited.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:13:59 am »

Cards in testing:

[Unnamed]
Action: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a ruins or a copper, putting it into play.

The premise for this was to see if a self-junker could be desirable to buy. This guy is obviously potentially very strong early, but the more you use him, the more cluttered your deck gets. I guess if you just want a ton of coppers, then he might be a bit strong.
Edit: After three games with this guy, he feels relatively balanced. he's decently good in kingdom slogs, and combos well (but not insanely) with coppersmith. Feels like an IGG type card, being really good for duchy rush decks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:51:06 pm by Graystripe77 »

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »

Panacea is a cool Lab/Market/Junk Dealer hybrid.  Scribe has an interesting mechanic.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:03:20 pm »

They're all interesting, I have no idea which are balanced. Archer seems like it might be balanced without the "discard a card" part.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »

They're all interesting, I have no idea which are balanced. Archer seems like it might be balanced without the "discard a card" part.

Oh, god no. that was the initial version of the card, and it was so strong I considered moving it to $5. But as a $5 card, it was relatively boring, and there were almost always slightly better cards to buy. The discarding is marginal, you'll usually always have a card to discard, but it nerfed the card just enough to keep it at $4.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:37:58 pm »
+1

Oh, god no. that was the initial version of the card, and it was so strong I considered moving it to $5. But as a $5 card, it was relatively boring, and there were almost always slightly better cards to buy. The discarding is marginal, you'll usually always have a card to discard, but it nerfed the card just enough to keep it at $4.

Can you explain? It seems that on a drawer, 1 more card should be worth more than 1 coin on average. And it seems that giving a buy should basically make up for the fact that you're getting a coin instead of a card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:45 am »
+1

Can you explain? It seems that on a drawer, 1 more card should be worth more than 1 coin on average. And it seems that giving a buy should basically make up for the fact that you're getting a coin instead of a card.

I'll be honest, I didn't actually do the math, but in testing, at $4, this card out-valued cards like smithy consistently in BM decks (Envoy's the only unbeatable one here), and still fit more conveniently into other decks, because drawing dead is mitigated by the +$1. At $5, the same card failed to be better than pretty much and decent $5 card in most decks.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34:13 pm »

Archer doesn't seem that much better than Herbalist.  A terminal Market whose weak sifting ability doesn't make it that much stronger.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:46:09 pm »

Archer doesn't seem that much better than Herbalist.  A terminal Market whose weak sifting ability doesn't make it that much stronger.

Honestly, feel free to try that card, it's relatively easy to test. I found it to be very well balanced.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:11 pm »
+1

It's not just sifting; that would be if it were +1 card, discard a card. Due to the +2 cards, it keeps your handsize the same after playing it; where Herbalist reduces your handsize.

nate_w

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:09 pm »
+2

Wow.  I've got to say I'm impressed.  Usually when I read fan cards I think most of them seem bad or way too strong.  These all come off as useful in some situations but not all, which seems to be right where you want cards.  Very nice work.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 01:49:23 am »

So there's one of your old cards (not listed in this OP), that may not be great as a card, but could be good as an event.

This is the original version: (at least it's the one you posted)
Old Archives
Action-Duration: $2
+1 Action
Set aside the top 4 cards of your deck.
--------------------
At the start of your next turn, return the set aside cards
to your hand, then discard 4 cards, then trash this card.

The event version:
Archives
$2 cost - Event
Set aside the top 4 cards of your deck. At the start of your next turn, return the set aside cards to your hand, then discard 4 cards.
I decided to make it an event for when I play and thought I'd share the suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:50:28 am by LibraryAdventurer »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:03 am »

Abandoned Village is fairly useless except in Alt-Vp games.
Bath House is a Forager variant. No idea about why you can only trash 1 or 3 but not 2 cards.
Missionary and Panacea are great and cards I actually already play with (I think you have already posted them somewhere else).
Scribe is probably the best '2$ cantrip with a small bonus' fan card I ever saw.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 08:31:00 am »

Panacea has to cost 5, doesn't it? If not more (strictly better because of flexibility?)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:36:55 am »

Panacea has to cost 5, doesn't it? If not more (strictly better because of flexibility?)

Well, a good thing it already costs more than $5.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 10:24:25 am »

Never mind, didn't realize p was referring to potion above. Dur.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 06:38:26 pm »

I, too am curious about the "Trash 1 or 3 cards." Is it part of the flavor that you can't trash an even number of cards?

Also, Assassin feels stronger than Witch. Making an easy comparison, the difference is swapping out +2 Cards for +(2) and discard your deck. +(2) and discard your deck obviously is worth (3), while +2 Cards is probably worth (1.5) when they're terminal. If this is the case Assassin shouldn't cost less than (6) - I'm not sure if I would buy it for (6), but that is what testing is for.
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 04:14:50 am »

I, too am curious about the "Trash 1 or 3 cards." Is it part of the flavor that you can't trash an even number of cards?

Also, Assassin feels stronger than Witch. Making an easy comparison, the difference is swapping out +2 Cards for +(2) and discard your deck. +(2) and discard your deck obviously is worth (3), while +2 Cards is probably worth (1.5) when they're terminal. If this is the case Assassin shouldn't cost less than (6) - I'm not sure if I would buy it for (6), but that is what testing is for.

But Chancellor is a very weak (3). I'm pretty certain I buy Moat in Attack-less kingdoms far more often than I buy Chancellor at all.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 10:41:28 am »

I think that +$2 on a Curser is worse than +2 Cards, as Cards can be used to be part of an engine, and you might want to play your share of Cursers as often and fast as possible. However, i do think that a Curser that puts your deck into your discard pile achieves a similar thing, as each time you play it you can reset the chance to draw it again next turn, and the Chancellor effect actually helps building an engine faster. Weirdly enough, it's also self-harming if you did get a few Curses yourself, so i'm not sure how i feel about it. Attacks that harm themselves are suspicious to me. Other than that, I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably stronger than Witch on quite a few boards, though not strong enough to cost $6.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.