Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ambassador + tournament vs. ambassador + apothecary  (Read 1254 times)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
ambassador + tournament vs. ambassador + apothecary
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:30:58 am »

I hope this one has not been discussed before. My search told me it was not.

So, Empathy and I had this nice game:
Ambassador, Apothecary, Black Market, Contraband, Feast, Potion, Spy, Stables, Tournament, Tribute, and Witch

I used to start 2xambassador as soon as it appeared in a game but had been beaten recently by players starting amb / X. I also recalled somebody's simulation stating amb / tournament beats 2xamb which is why I started amb / t.
Empathy started amb / P with apothecary being the only potion card.
I bought a second amb on turn 4, he on turn 5.

My ideas were: 1st, I read amb / t performs well. 2nd, w/o any +buy, apo will be too costly.
His ideas were: I get my apos to cycle my deck faster to play amb more often and also filter coppers out of my next hand to increase chances of having amb with 2 estates.

In our short discussion after the game I pointed out that drawing coppers from your next hand does not make too much sense with amb in hand, since you'll then end up with green cards in your next and decreased chances of an amb. Another advantage could have been my amb buy on turn 4 compared to his on turn 5. In addition to that, he had colliding amb on turns 6, 8, 9 and 10. We agreed that I had been more lucky but guessed our strategies (it is strategies or tactics, in this case?) were pretty close.

Any comments? Would he have done better to only buy one amb? Was my 2nd amb necessary?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/06/game-20120106-051731-bce79546.html

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Re: ambassador + tournament vs. ambassador + apothecary
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:55:37 am »

Yeah, that was an interesting game.

So many non-linearities.

On the one hand, as expected, apothecary does get the province faster (but how important is that versus winning the amb race?).

But does apo really counter the flux of coppers? Is sending off 1 estate versus 2 coppers a bad bet? I know it i usually, but with apo it seems more justified.  It also seems like the right thing to do if you want to win the tournament race, but not if you want to win the amb war.

I also just realized that there was a good number of collisions on both sides. I still felt somewhat unlucky in my start, minus the early province. I felt like I should be able to roughly keep the amb-trash at bay while hopefully getting an early province.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:28:36 am »

Although Empathy looked to be playing an apothecary deck, the second apothecary was only bought on turn 16.

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:26:15 pm »

Hm, I had one other occasion to buy an apo (on 6P on T6). Was the gold the wrong decision? Or just poor timing?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 20 queries.